2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Pierce89

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

WilliamsF1 wrote:
speedy56 wrote:
dren wrote:It has to be between 20~25kg per the regulations. It also has to be installed wholly within the survival cell. Look up some battery densities and you probably can figure out some rough dimensions.
I got 12x25x31cm in case of ρ=2580kg/m3 and battery weight of 25kg.
If we take battery weight of 20kg it ends up like 11.5x23x29cm

I think it really is something like this because when you put those dimensions in the survival cell (about 65cm wide at that area) it ends up similar to those video animations
Lithium ion battery
Specific energy density: 100 to 250 W·h/kg (360 to 900 kJ/kg)
Volumetric energy density: 250 to 620 W·h/L (900 to 1900 J/cm³)
Specific power density: 300 to 1500 W/kg
But does f1 use Li+ or lipo's?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Vortex37
Vortex37

Pierce89 wrote: But does f1 use Li+ or lipo's?
Mercedes have been using a Li-phosphate cell.

xpensive
xpensive

wuzak wrote:I think it is a combination of the ICE and ERS, but with the majority due to the ERS.

I believe Merc are extracting more out of their MGUH than either Renault or Ferrari, who may still be relying on the wastegates to control the turbo to some degree.

Merc can definitely recycle their captured MGUH energy directly to the MGUK. So that lengthens the amount of time the ES can supply power to the MGUK.

With the others I suspect that they have to use more of the stored energy in the ES on straights and may have to restrict the maximum they use so they can still have soem for other parts of the lap.
I am convinced that it's all down to the MGU-H and the ERS in General, when the others catch up, tables will be turned.

There are even talk of limiting the ERS, all in order to level the field.
Last edited by xpensive on 20 Jul 2014, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

atanatizante

Pierce89 wrote:
speedy56 wrote:
dren wrote:It has to be between 20~25kg per the regulations. It also has to be installed wholly within the survival cell. Look up some battery densities and you probably can figure out some rough dimensions.
I got 12x25x31cm in case of ρ=2580kg/m3 and battery weight of 25kg.
If we take battery weight of 20kg it ends up like 11.5x23x29cm

I think it really is something like this because when you put those dimensions in the survival cell (about 65cm wide at that area) it ends up similar to those video animations
Lithium ion battery
Specific energy density: 100 to 250 W·h/kg (360 to 900 kJ/kg)
Volumetric energy density: 250 to 620 W·h/L (900 to 1900 J/cm³)
Specific power density: 300 to 1500 W/kg
Who wants a deeper analysis of this matter I wrote something here : http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 88#p490688[/quote]
Last edited by atanatizante on 20 Jul 2014, 12:12, edited 2 times in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Kiril Varbanov

Renault to evaluate Mercedes' split turbo Formula 1 engine concept, says Remi Tafin to Autosport - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115092

Pierce89

Renault threatened to leave if f1 didn't change to the new style of PU. That seems really funny, considering their record for the previous 4 seasons. Renault will never get the publicity they're looking for, unless they have their own team again. Hell, a lot of people believe Vettel has an Infiniti in back of the rb5-9. Renault might be a shareholder in Infiniti, but I guarentee Viry doesn't like the whole situation.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

tuj
tuj

People are saying the split turbo is better for aero packaging, and yeah, I could sort of see that, but isn't the split turbo also better at avoiding heat transfer between the turbine and the compressor? I would think that long shaft would have to mitigate a lot of the heat transfer to the compressor housing, perhaps giving a thermal advantage.

Also, I have heard rumors that the Ferrari turbo is sized too small (not sure which side of the turbo is too small...guessing the compressor), perhaps because Ferrari under-estimated the amount of 'anti-lag' they would be able to expect from the MGU-H?

Finally, what do you all think of Honda's effort to jump in next year? Will they be able to challenge Merc in any fashion regarding pure power? I wonder if Honda is splitting the turbo...?

FW17

Likely to see all merc teams running water air intercoolers next year

xpensive
xpensive

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Renault to evaluate Mercedes' split turbo Formula 1 engine concept, says Remi Tafin to Autosport - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115092
If the Renault engineers haven't evaluated the split turbo with log-xhaust long before now they should all be fired.

djos

xpensive wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Renault to evaluate Mercedes' split turbo Formula 1 engine concept, says Remi Tafin to Autosport - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115092
If the Renault engineers haven't evaluated the split turbo with log-xhaust long before now they should all be fired.
Agreed, it would be sheer incompetence for them to have not investigated this months ago!
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

djos wrote:
xpensive wrote:
Agreed, it would be sheer incompetence for them to have not investigated this months ago!

Fair to say that they had their hands full with the current config after not having a test mule

xpensive
xpensive

Any engineering office with self-respect would have a continuous evaluation of the competition, there are no xcuses for that.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

tuj wrote: Also, I have heard rumors that the Ferrari turbo is sized too small (not sure which side of the turbo is too small...guessing the compressor), perhaps because Ferrari under-estimated the amount of 'anti-lag' they would be able to expect from the MGU-H?
Surely it would be the turbine that would be sized too small, I would have hopped they would be able to calculate their boost requirements pretty accurately. In any case, why would a larger compressor help with turbo lag? Surely it would only make it spool up slower.

djos

Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

It might spool up slower but the inertia of the larger turbine mass may reduce turbo lag overall once the turbine is spooled up.

It may also be easier for a larger turbine to drive the MGU-H due to the greater turbine mass inertia acting a little like a fly-wheel (hope I'm making sense).
"In downforce we trust"

Harsha
Harsha

Is it under the rules if Renault test the V6 of 2015 at Yas Marina Test of YDP which will be held after the Abu-double GP