Monocoque Bonding

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
flyboy2160

Re: Monocoque Bonding

riff_raff wrote:n smikle-

Sorry, I guess "free edge" was not the best description to use. A better description might be "extreme edge".

When creating an adhesive lap joint, the extreme edge of each panel should be tapered as thin as practical so that it has no bending stiffness. If the extreme edge of the panel at the adhesive bond interface has very little bending stiffness, it won't be able to peel at this location.
:D nononononononono, stop the PC redefining things: I've been in aerospace composites for a couple of decades and "free edge" is the term that's always been used - even in college in stress classes. Agree 10000000000000000% with the tapering to reduce the bending stress. :D unless you want to use chicken fasteners.

riff_raff

Easy there flyboy, free edge is the correct term to use with a mechanically fastened lap joint. I'm a mechanical systems guy, and I don't work with composites much. So cut me some slack, OK.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

flyboy2160

riff_raff wrote:...... So cut me some slack, OK.
:D OK, but........wait for it ........you know it's coming............unless you go over the free edge. ( I just couldn't resist. I've been watching too much stand up comedy on TV.)

riff_raff

By the way, the FAA does not call them "chicken fasteners". They simply consider them a necessary part of a safe structural adhesive bond joint design. They are there to prevent propagation of a peel failure in the adhesive bond. Composite structures engineers hate them, but there is no way they can show by analysis that the adhesive bond is fail safe without them. So the FAA still requires using them.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"