Wishbones attachment question !

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream

Re: Wishbones attachment question !

wow ! these ones great will help about the wishbones :D thanks a lot
/but about the front wing attachment still trying to figure it out

marcush.

maybe this is a bit better ?

I think Mercedes have done a clever Job here to separate the actual positioning of the nosecone from the fasteners -adopting lmp style attachment methods to fix bodywork to the tub .

This way around there is a good opportunity to Support the structure by means of formal confirmation and just rely on the Ikea inspired stuff to hold things in place .

With the Ikea fastener performing both Tasks:hold the Piece in the correct Position + supplying the Tension it seems rather
unlikely a quick Change of a nosecone is reproduceable.

makes me think of a central tool to release the cone with just a single Action(pyro anyone?)fastener ..and make the refit a simple push Action ....without tools at all...this would reduce the stop time for a nose cone Change dramatically...Some Drivers could benefit from this substantially.

firasf1dream

alright this gives me a new idea of placing it, but where does the screw comes inside the bulkhead, for the higher wishbone ?
i guess for the lower it's from the bottom and goes in vertically in direction up

FW17

firasf1dream

what do we have here ! this is really great picture and helpful thank you :D
now i got a better idea to make the wishbones

by the way what is the exact name of this fastener in the picture to look for it on google ?

flynfrog

furniture cam fastener

firasf1dream

ok thanks a lot :D

and thanks guys for the help :)

marcush.

that fastener can be called anything..as it is your bespoke design ...you would not dare to rob one of IKEAs spares department would you?
I cannot fatom such things are avaialable of the shelf in the Quality you Need

btw -who came up with that IKEA idea in formula1? 321 ..yes of course it was John Barnard ..is there anything in Formula 1 of today NOT invented or introduced by him??????

Benneton B191 was the car .

firasf1dream

marcush. wrote:that fastener can be called anything..as it is your bespoke design ...you would not dare to rob one of IKEAs spares department would you?
I cannot fatom such things are avaialable of the shelf in the Quality you Need

btw -who came up with that IKEA idea in formula1? 321 ..yes of course it was John Barnard ..is there anything in Formula 1 of today NOT invented or introduced by him??????

Benneton B191 was the car .

thanks for the info but what did u meant by "you would not dare to rob one of IKEAs spares department would you?" ??

flynfrog

he means don't put one from Ikea on a race car.

bhall II

Otherwise, something like this might happen.

marcush.

flynfrog wrote:he means don't put one from Ikea on a race car.
please write that in CAPITAL letters.. :mrgreen:

firasf1dream

guys you really are confusing me ! i got the info about the ikea shown in picture from an engineer working now in RBR F1 team so why now u saying it's not used ?!

firasf1dream

guys from this picture below i can see that the ends that will be attached to the cockpit are not movable ! means they will be attached with a none dynamic, so the movement that will happen to the wishbone is because of the flexibility of the wishbone itself right ?! or is end are attached to the composite with a small bar inside that will make it dynamic ?

marcush.

I have not questioned the idea but the actual part you could get from IKEA -this is not even remotely capable of bearing the loads .
So you can ,as everyone does take the idea and concept but not use IKEA as your supplier... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As for the wishbone attachment -the concept is .flexure Joint - No moving parts there the end of the wishbone /or mounting is designed to provide the ,movement necessary -again a (who guessed it?) John Barnard Invention ....

not a nice design here but useful to Show the concept: