Best driver performance over a season of all time?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Best driver performance over a season of all time?

IMHO there´s no sport where stats are so useless as F1

I always use the same example, Giles and Jaques Villeneuve. Stats say Jaques was a better driver as he won the WDC, but I think nobody will agree with that. F1 is too dependant of the car perfomance to take stats as a guide

I support Alonso, but 2012 was a seasson he impressed me even when I rate him quite high. I´m still trying to accept he didn´t win that WDC because of Grosjean at Spa... He deserved that tittle more than any other, and he´d have win if it´s not because of Grosjean, even when his car was noticeable slower than RB

FoxHound

Andres125sx wrote:F1 is too dependant of the car perfomance to take stats as a guide
I'll raise you.

It's totally dependant on the car.
JET set

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Andres125sx wrote:IMHO there´s no sport where stats are so useless as F1

I always use the same example, Giles and Jaques Villeneuve. Stats say Jaques was a better driver as he won the WDC, but I think nobody will agree with that. F1 is too dependant of the car perfomance to take stats as a guide

I support Alonso, but 2012 was a seasson he impressed me even when I rate him quite high. I´m still trying to accept he didn´t win that WDC because of Grosjean at Spa... He deserved that tittle more than any other, and he´d have win if it´s not because of Grosjean, even when his car was noticeable slower than RB
+1

Pierce89

sennafan24 wrote:
Clew wrote:Michael Schumacher in 2004....an untouchable year
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ks5 ... o1_500.gif
IDK why, but that is one distirbing gif. I keep thinking "Catholic Priest".
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

strad

Jim Clark 65
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

iotar__

Maybe he lost it himself when he drove into Raikkonen at Suzuka but let's pretend it didn't happen, same as Valencia for Grosjean and Vettel right? Or Abu Dhabi for Vettel and Singapore or Abu Dhabi for Hamilton. He was never really in contention he had an outside chance because of many random circumstances and Vettel driving poorly under pressure towards the end.

My all time which is 1995-2013 or more like half of it (seasons of no-coverage or no-interest):
- I can't say I remember it well but Schumacher 1995 should be here, surprisingly I remember 1996 just fine silly Monaco and Schumacher crashing
- Kubica 2010
- Alonso 2012

Kingshark
Kingshark

Kubica's 2010 season performance is overrated. He got beat by Rosberg when both were driving roughly equal cars.

PlatinumZealot

I nominate Vettel 2013.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

strad

Part of why the past was better. Was a time when a better driver could drag a dog to the front.
70-80% driver now it 90% car. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

iotar__ wrote:

Maybe he lost it himself when he drove into Raikkonen at Suzuka but let's pretend it didn't happen,
No, let´s pretend you can´t be looking at your mirrors when you´re reaching the breaking point of first corner with cars all around

Even so, it´s easy to start from pole, but when you´re fighting for the championship and you usually start around 7th, you have to take some risks. That´s what Alonso did on every single start, performing some really awesome ones. Touching a car he couldn´t see at a start is very debatable about if it was his mistake or not
iotar__ wrote:same as Valencia for Grosjean and Vettel right? Or Abu Dhabi for Vettel and Singapore or Abu Dhabi for Hamilton. He was never really in contention he had an outside chance because of many random circumstances and Vettel driving poorly under pressure towards the end.
All those, without exception, where mechanical or driver failures. This is a competition between teams, so any failure in you car, it´s the team who failed, not random circumstances...

Grosjean flying towards your car after crashing IS a random circumstance, but Vettel didn´t loose one single point for anything like that, all the points he lost where due to his own mistakes, or car failures. Team responsability anycase

But Grosjean at spa.... there Alonso or Ferrari had no responsability. No team responsability at all, that´s the difference and the reason I say it´s only Grosjean who prevented Alonso from winning 2012 WDC

Juzh

Andres125sx wrote: But Grosjean at spa.... there Alonso or Ferrari had no responsability. No team responsability at all, that´s the difference and the reason I say it´s only Grosjean who prevented Alonso from winning 2012 WDC
Yeah yeah.
Alonso drove into raikonnen in suzuka. It's that simple. He then stalled the car trying to rejoin. Don't try to filter out stuff that don't suite your premise.

FoxHound

n smikle wrote:I nominate Vettel 2013.

Over a season? Rubbish first half amazing second. What does this tell you?
JET set

Juzh

FoxHound wrote:
n smikle wrote:I nominate Vettel 2013.

Over a season? Rubbish first half amazing second. What does this tell you?
Rly? Elaborate on what was so rubbish in the 1st half?

FoxHound

It was not anywhere near as good as the second half.
Not rubbish in purest terms, but in relative terms.
JET set

Juzh

FoxHound wrote:It was not anywhere near as good as the second half.
Not rubbish in purest terms, but in relative terms.
Ah, ok. That actually makes sense.