Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

The thing that bothers me the most is very eloquently expressed in this article.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/220 ... ngarian-gp

The teams inability to think on the fly and change tactics/strategies mid race reminds me a lot of the blunders seen at Mclaren in 2012. Other than Lowe, does anyone know what other technical/strategy people might have come over from Mclaren?
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

turbof1 wrote:I believe they'll just drop any sort of teamorder. What else can they do?
Get one more strategy guy so they have one each.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FoxHound

dans79 wrote:The thing that bothers me the most is very eloquently expressed in this article.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/220 ... ngarian-gp

The teams inability to think on the fly and change tactics/strategies mid race reminds me a lot of the blunders seen at Mclaren in 2012. Other than Lowe, does anyone know what other technical/strategy people might have come over from Mclaren?
They gambled on Hamilton's strategy to run the medium compound tyre, and had Rosberg try the softs with an extra stop. This was strategically accurate given the info they had from practice runs.
But the safety cars and rain added the unpredictability which can make you look a hero, or a total twit.

I don't see what else they could've done strategically without hindsight.
JET set

turbof1

SectorOne wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I believe they'll just drop any sort of teamorder. What else can they do?
Get one more strategy guy so they have one each.
That's something they'd need anyhow, team orders or not.

It's too late anyhow. Concerning team orders it's now the same as Vettel and Webber: neither will want to give the other any advantage on track. The team can try to ask it, but it'll end up with "oh well, we tried".

Concerning the strategy of Hamilton: it wasn't all too bad. Mercedes feared for more unpredrctable events and since track position on this circuit is hugely important, the strategy was relative ok. However, they simply put him on the wrong tyres. They should have extended the second stint on softs with a few more laps and then switched to softs again. Practice showed there was very little degredation and concerning tyre wear both the compounds were almost equal. With the softs bringing 1.5s it would have been easy pickings.
#AeroFrodo

FoxHound

Agree that Hamilton could've stayed out longer on the softs.
He made a radio call to say the softs were holding up well and that he was doing fine. Had he stayed out longer there could've been a window allowing him to go on the softs for the final stint.

The only problem which was unforseen was that the softs lasted about as long as the medium.
Theoretical longer stint advantage nullified right there. Predicting this before hand on a rubbered in track is difficult at the best of times. The target is always moving, especially given the track conditions.
JET set

Shrieker

In friday practise softs held up as well as the mediums did if not longer... It was bizzare at best to put him on mediums with the huge performance gap of 1-1.5 seconds a lap.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

FoxHound

Shrieker wrote:In friday practise softs held up as well as the mediums did if not longer... It was bizzare at best to put him on mediums with the huge performance gap of 1-1.5 seconds a lap.
My impression was the medium ran for 7 laps longer on Rosbergs stint in fp3, I could so totally be wrong.
JET set

dans79

FoxHound wrote: I don't see what else they could've done strategically without hindsight.
I think the sky article outlines it in the "And Merc missed a winning call" section perfectly. Basically they could have told Lewis to push hard part way through his third stint and maybe take the lead and build a gap, before coming in to switch to the softs for a final short sprint just like Nico did. Worst case senario, they finish exactly how they did.

Hindsight isn't needed, as they have plenty of computing power at the track & back at headquarters with the live links all the teams have. They also had plenty of data to use to make predictions/strategy calls, as they have a ton of data about every car in the race.

like i said, it seems like either they are unwilling or incapable of making strategy decisions based on emerging trends during the race. The possible reasons for this are numerous.
197 104 103 7

Emerson.F

Toto Wolff.
"If Lewis had let Nico go, Nico could have won the race"
Source: http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/93975 ... -Conundrum
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

dans79

Emerson.F wrote: Toto Wolff.
"If Lewis had let Nico go, Nico could have won the race"
Source: http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/93975 ... -Conundrum
Wolff is an idiot, and I'm pretty sure has less racing experience than some of forum members here. I am about as far from politically correct as a person can get and even I know not to publicly make such accusations.
197 104 103 7

FoxHound

dans79 wrote:
FoxHound wrote: I don't see what else they could've done strategically without hindsight.
I think the sky article outlines it in the "And Merc missed a winning call" section perfectly. Basically they could have told Lewis to push hard part way through his third stint and maybe take the lead and build a gap, before coming in to switch to the softs for a final short sprint just like Nico did. Worst case senario, they finish exactly how they did.
Hindsight isn't needed

Everything you have written there was with the benefit of hindsight. Sky too, can sit and speak of if's and but's....Andy Coulson(News of the World/FOX/RupertMurdoch,Sky) will only agree with me that Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
The track conditions AND temperatures changed from Friday and Saturday. Accept that any meaningful tyre data was not going to be as reliable over the race as is the norm.
Hamilton had 30 odd laps to do on the Medium and he could save a pitstop over the guys infront. With the theoretical car advantage, and his team mate on a different strategy, this was designed more with an eye on Rosberg, and bagging a podium than anything else.

And before anything get's said of the strategy, it worked for Hamilton as he closed the gap on Rosberg starting from the back.

They split the strategy, and Lewis finished ahead. Could they have won the race? Yes, Rosberg should've been home and dry in an uneventful race.
dans79 wrote:Wolff is an idiot .....even I know not to publicly make such accusations.
Did anything flicker in command control when you wrote this?
JET set

Pierce89

FoxHound wrote:
dans79 wrote:Wolff is an idiot .....even I know not to publicly make such accusations.
Did anything flicker in command control when you wrote this?
Its pretty clear there wasnt so much as a single warning beep.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

dans79

I don't work for Merc and they don't work for me so I can say whatever I want whenever I want. However like I said, accusing an employ of screwing over another is something totally different.
197 104 103 7

Emerson.F

Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

iotar__

"Mugged"? For the sake of neutrality: do you have a first lap spin or vs Ricciardo mistake?
Edit: Forget about it, it was probably Sky's coverage.