F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sombrero

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

That is the race and the entry list.

One of these drivers had that 250 US$ sponsoring deal from a big american corporation. It's not Graham Hill. Please name the driver with car number and sponsorship (product line on the car and parent corporation).

xpensive

I'm afraid that one was a bit over the top Sombrero, why I make use of that 48h rule to have a go myself;

We had this before a few years back, but it's so good I run it again;

What was so special with the Alfa Romeo 1.5 turbo V8 when it was presented in 1982?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

-Felix-

Well, the expression "special" can mean so much, I don't know what exactly you're aiming at. But I'll take a guess and suppose you mean the fact, that the engine was running on carbs (1 per cylinder) during testing in '81 and early '82 until the Spica mechanical injection was introduced in Spring '82?

And for the Sombrero question:

Roger Penske, Car #6, 250$ Sponsorship from DuPont paints.

xpensive

That is correct Felix, sorry that I missed your response, but the quiz-thread drops off the board so quickly these days.

Please get back with a killer!

In the mean time, what in the world is this?

zonk

BRM p230

xpensive

OK, for a gold star, what's so special with that car?

WaikeCU

It was the last BRM and it never raced.

xpensive

WaikeCU wrote:It was the last BRM and it never raced.
Close enough, it wasn't even intended for Formula 1, but the Aurora AFX championship, but it didn't even race there.
Finally, it was sod to the US and converted to a CanAm car.

Your go!

WaikeCU

I'm looking for an anagram. For names of persons, only the surname is necessary. The first letters of each answers form the name of a former F1 Driver.

- Bruno Senna was the first driver to drive on this F1 track back in 2009.
- The youngest point scorer in F1.
- Former Austrian F1 Driver who co-set the distance record for the 24h of Le Mans in 1971.
- The team that achieved its only pole position at the Long Beach circuit.
- The fifth female F1 Driver.
- Very talented driver who survived the killer years of F1, drove for the best teams, but never won a race.
- Former F1 Driver who is the oldest World Champion in a FIA series.
- Who is this former F1 driver:

Who are we looking for?
Last edited by WaikeCU on 07 Aug 2014, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive

Sorry Zonk, I messed up, you should have had this one, hit us if you have a good one prepared?

xpensive

As the 48h rule allows, I will jump in with a tricky one, what is this, make and background please?

zonk

1977 Apollon-Cosworth
Loris Kessel had left John Macdonald's RAM team, he approached Frank Williams for a drive at his team. Williams had no place left for Kessel, but could sell him an old car. Kessel agreed and approached The Swiss Jolly Club of Switzerland, that was successful in touring cars and rallying. Kessel also hired ex-Ferrari designer Giacomo Caliri. In his FLY-studio the FW03 was heavily updated. The result was a car with a striking long nose and radiators placed directly in front of the front wheel suspension. Painted in fresh yellow and white colours the former FW03 was a nice looking car. The car was renamed the Apollon Fly, named after the sponsor of the project, a pharmacist. However, it took a long time before the Apollon actually appeared on the track. Jolly Club tried to race in Belgium, France, Austria and the Netherlands. However, in Belgium and France, Kessel had transport problems. At Monza the Apollon finally appeared. Because not enough pit boxes were available, the Swiss had to settle for a place in the open air, a clumsy scene. In the untested car Kessel was way too slow and when he went off track in the final qualifying session, the adventure was finally over.

xpensive

Brilliant Zonk, absolutely so, your go!

zonk

What is this?

xpensive

Not sure, though I do recall the image, but the name "Scott" rings in my head for some reason.