McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

Lycoming wrote: But nevertheless, I believe the effect is basically that of a vortex generator; energizing the boundary layer by mixing it.
The flow viz images suggest that is the case. There is evidence of a series of compact vortices running under the flap of the rear wing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Thunder

Some more Pictures from AMuS

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

KingHamilton01

McLaren have a new front wing which isn't in these picture's, I don't know how to post picture's on here so you can find it here:- https://www.facebook.com/McLarenTeamF1
McLaren Mercedes

Thunder

nevermind......
Last edited by Thunder on 25 Jul 2014, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogollum

Thunder

you're right.
#aerogollum

tok-tokkie

What do these little strakes(?) on the supports for the wing do? Shed a series of small vortices or build up into a single vortex or something else nothing to do with vortices?

Thatsnotgonewell

tok-tokkie wrote:What do these little strakes(?) on the supports for the wing do? Shed a series of small vortices or build up into a single vortex or something else nothing to do with vortices?

http://i.imgur.com/eZ9nVJP.jpg
I'd guess that stacking them one after another should build a larger vortex rather than a series of smaller ones. I want to say there's a benefit with vortices in the upper rear corner of the end-plates where the upper line end and that drives the familiar cut out shape in the end plates that everyone runs in one form or another. Can anyone comment?

It looks like the lower bank should also help to drive more air through the large vertical vents.

PlatinumZealot

They create vortices. And judging by their position these votices help fill in the rear wheel wake or maybe prevent interaction from the endplate vortex (which is very large) from interacting negatively with the diffuser wake.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

beelsebob

n smikle wrote:They create vortices. And judging by their position these votices help fill in the rear wheel wake or maybe prevent interaction from the endplate vortex (which is very large) from interacting negatively with the diffuser wake.
I would bet actually that at least the top ones are creating a vortex rotating in the opposite direction to the one off the rear wing tip to try to destroy the wing tip vortex and reduce drag.

wesley123

beelsebob wrote:
n smikle wrote:They create vortices. And judging by their position these votices help fill in the rear wheel wake or maybe prevent interaction from the endplate vortex (which is very large) from interacting negatively with the diffuser wake.
I would bet actually that at least the top ones are creating a vortex rotating in the opposite direction to the one off the rear wing tip to try to destroy the wing tip vortex and reduce drag.
The alignment of those fins align perfectly(in length) to the vanes at the bottom of the end plate.

I don't think their function is necesarily to create vortices(as the top, and bottom row of fins are in different area's) as their goal, but they rather manage the pressure difference.

Every team that has them has their top fin(s) cambered up. So my guess here is that they direct the flow to be parallel to the flow inside of the end plate.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

My idea is that they work together with the bottom-back end strakes of the endplate, since they are placed just above each strake. The vanes possible have a multitude of functions: reduce the vortices of the strakes, reduce the wingtip vortex and expansion of airflow.
#AeroFrodo

Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson's analysis of the RWEP strakes & the tubercle RW planes.

via AutoSport