Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CptPeanut

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Both McLaren cars come back to MPC without the engines.

As far as I know they are removed from the car, taped up to stop tampering and then shipped back to Brackley after each race/test.

twoshots

The engines go back to Brixworth after each event (or on to the next event if back-to-back). They are FIA sealed so there is no rebuilding to be done.

mclaren_mircea

On another well known F1 forum, there is a new thread about the fact that the marriage between Mclaren and Honda may be shorter than people expect, based on an article from The Judge13 and from the extending partnership between Honda and Red Bull in Moto Gp. They say that it is possible a Red Bull works deal from Honda from 2016. It can't be possible because Mclaren signed the contract as a works team, and they can veto another works deal from Honda. Only a customer package can Red Bull hope. And there is a large amount of money that Honda already invested in Mclaren's restructure.

2. Even if the engine will me inferiour to Mercedes is it possible that Mclaren's aerodynamics package may benefit from Honda engine? I say this because they will work closely with Sakura about dimensions, integration and they can have tighters bodywork, slimmer sidepods and don't have to swim in the dark as it was with Mercedes wich gave them too late in design the informations about the engine that affected Mclaren's package. Even if Ferrari's engine is inferior to Mercedes, they did a better job in integration the engine in the chassis than Mercedes's customer teams, except maybe Williams.

mclaren_mircea

On the sponsorhip and commercial side about Mclaren: Kitbag has agreed a five-year deal to operate the McLaren Formula One team's official online store and its outlets at Grands Prix.

More infos here: http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/kitb ... _contract/

Pierce89

mclaren_mircea wrote:On another well known F1 forum, there is a new thread about the fact that the marriage between Mclaren and Honda may be shorter than people expect, based on an article from The Judge13 and from the extending partnership between Honda and Red Bull in Moto Gp. They say that it is possible a Red Bull works deal from Honda from 2016. It can't be possible because Mclaren signed the contract as a works team, and they can veto another works deal from Honda. Only a customer package can Red Bull hope. And there is a large amount of money that Honda already invested in Mclaren's restructure.

2. Even if the engine will me inferiour to Mercedes is it possible that Mclaren's aerodynamics package may benefit from Honda engine? I say this because they will work closely with Sakura about dimensions, integration and they can have tighters bodywork, slimmer sidepods and don't have to swim in the dark as it was with Mercedes wich gave them too late in design the informations about the engine that affected Mclaren's package. Even if Ferrari's engine is inferior to Mercedes, they did a better job in integration the engine in the chassis than Mercedes's customer teams, except maybe Williams.
If Red Bull get Honda power units in 2016, Mclaren will have no say on the parameters of that relationship. Honda can give Red Bull whatever support they choose.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Sasha

Honda wants the best drivers and if Mclaren can't get them then Honda will!

Even if that means they give engines to Red Bull.

Just look at the 80's.Honda didn't go to Mclaren in 88 because it was the best team,it went there because Mclaren had the top two drivers.

Red Bull is keeping Honda an option in 2016(it will just depend on how good the Honda PU is).
Also Honda's new Euro base is in the same town as RB.

Avocado

mclaren_mircea wrote:based on an article from The Judge13
Stopped reading right here. That site is just pure awful, full of bullshit.

akshat21

McLaren, being a works team again, will have a veto as to who Honda Supplies engines to. They have already been burnt once when they allowed Mercedes to supply engines to Brawn GP and didn't use the veto to stop the deal. (Link to an old BBC Article).

This time around, even though Martin Whitmarsh announced the deal with Honda, Ron Dennis would have made sure that they have a veto for customer engines and tie Honda with McLaren for the foreseeable future. It would be a waste of time, effort and money for both Honda and McLaren to have works deal for just one year.

xpensive

There's no way McLaren will allow Honda to support Red Bull with engines, but perhaps one or two customers like Force India?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

acosmichippo

Why would Force India want to switch from Mercedes PUs?

xpensive

acosmichippo wrote:Why would Force India want to switch from Mercedes PUs?
Because they have strong technical links to McLaren as a junior team.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Advino116

xpensive wrote:
Not sure where I read this, but didn't Force India switch to Mercedes as their technological partner?

Sasha

Who is paying the bills this year for Mclaren? (they have no major sponsor)

And if the banker wants to give a engine to RB,what are you going to say?

NO,you can't! If you believe that,go and try that with your banker and see what happens.

gary123

Sasha wrote:Who is paying the bills this year for Mclaren? (they have no major sponsor)

And if the banker wants to give a engine to RB,what are you going to say?

NO,you can't! If you believe that,go and try that with your banker and see what happens.
They have all the money that had to be used to keep Hamilton. Plus Vodafone still payed 40% of their old sponsor ship this year.
Also Arai said that they choosed McLaren because they want to win with them like in the late 80's and early 90's. And more again, RB without Newey and he's number 2 Prodomrou(going to McLaren) isnt really a great warranty.
And I'm not quite sure but Bob Bell should return to McLaren...

Pierce89

Advino116 wrote:
xpensive wrote:
Not sure where I read this, but didn't Force India switch to Mercedes as their technological partner?
Yep,IIRC they no longer buy 'boxes from Mclaren but use the whole Merc kit.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher