Hub

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
chayanitsingh

Hub

Which of the two hub should possess high strength in a formula one -front or rear and why????

Just_a_fan

Re: Hub

They each need to be strong enough for the loads expected.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

riff_raff

The rear hubs must handle suspension loads, plus braking and driving torques. The front hubs do not have to handle the driving torques.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Just_a_fan

The front hubs do carry larger braking forces though. Ultimately the torque that the hub has to carry is limited by the tyre's ability to grip.

marcush.

Are we talking of the hub or the complete upright?

Picture of some formula 1 wheel hubs -METALORE-

the hub is usually made of 300M or Titanium

in formula 1 the upright must be Aluminium

riff_raff

As Just_a_fan notes, any hub should be strong enough to handle the loads applied to it.

However, with a Champ Car, the outside hubs must be much stronger than the inside hubs. Since the outside hubs will be more highly loaded than the inside hubs on an oval track.

xpensive

marcush. wrote:Are we talking of the hub or the complete upright?
I suspect that the question is about the upright, the hub itself is no big deal.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Just_a_fan

I've just noticed that the OP has been asking lots of this sort of question and little else. I'm guessing a student of some sort who wants his assignments done by others...

-Felix-

Or someone is preparing for design event on FSG, which is due today :mrgreen:

mep

Just_a_fan wrote:The front hubs do carry larger braking forces though. Ultimately the torque that the hub has to carry is limited by the tyre's ability to grip.
Careful there is a trap. The hub is the part which connects the brake disc with the rim and in case of the rear hub the drive shaft. You could apply full engine torque while having full brake torque. The torque the hub experiences can then exceed the tire grip (tires on low grip surface, ice, for example). Therefore the forces on the rear hub are by no means limited by the tire grip.

Lycoming

mep wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:The front hubs do carry larger braking forces though. Ultimately the torque that the hub has to carry is limited by the tyre's ability to grip.
Careful there is a trap. The hub is the part which connects the brake disc with the rim and in case of the rear hub the drive shaft. You could apply full engine torque while having full brake torque. The torque the hub experiences can then exceed the tire grip (tires on low grip surface, ice, for example). Therefore the forces on the rear hub are by no means limited by the tire grip.
Good catch. Though, if you apply enough brakes to lock the tires and then floor it, don't you deserve whatever happens to you?

Just_a_fan

mep wrote:
You could but that presumably isn't a design parameter rather a driver doing something totally stupid.

Tim.Wright

The other gotcha is that front axle braking torques can often be higher than rear axle drive torques. Depends on a few things though - cg height, wheelbase, tyres etc... Looks like our friend is going to have to do some calcs...
Not the engineer at Force India

riff_raff

I think the worst case torque either the front or rear hub experiences would be the impulse torque produced when the tire briefly loses traction and then rapidly regains traction, such as when the tire goes over a bump in the track.