Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
nismo

Re: Ferrari F14T

Figuring they would come up with something a little more advanced than a $30 roll of wrap you can get at your auto parts store. Maybe the KISS ideology is the best in this case? :?:

diffuser

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they use.....and just because they use a wrap...doesn't mean they're not using some other coating underneath.

George-Jung

diffuser wrote:I guess we'll have to wait and see what they use.....and just because they use a wrap...doesn't mean they're not using some other coating underneath.
In the picture of eslam you can see that at the left exhaust pipe the insulation wrap has a small 'gap'..
With, what looks like, 'bare metal' underneath... Without coating..

Zircotech is, if I am correct, black or white..

froggy

George-Jung wrote:
diffuser wrote:I guess we'll have to wait and see what they use.....and just because they use a wrap...doesn't mean they're not using some other coating underneath.
In the picture of eslam you can see that at the left exhaust pipe the insulation wrap has a small 'gap'..

I believe those are just collars holding the heat wrap, and not a gap that you see.

George-Jung

froggy wrote:
George-Jung wrote:

I believe those are just collars holding the heat wrap, and not a gap that you see.
Not those, look more carefully and you will see what I mean 8)
Ah ok, my fault..

jayeshrc

George-Jung wrote:
i know what you mean, and you're mistaken in this case.. i cant remember what those are called but they're like metal (ive used steel) band clamps.. the wrap is overlapped while being wrapped so there's very little chance it would have gaps like that defeating the purpose.. I've managed to wrap exhasut pipes well enough to not have gaps at all!

this is what i'm talking about (not exactly, the ones i used were far thinner and so on, but just for an idea): Image

diffuser

Interesting stuff.

Hopefully we'll get pics of the exhaust at SPA.

langwadt

jayeshrc wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
i know what you mean, and you're mistaken in this case.. i cant remember what those are called but they're like metal (ive used steel) band clamps.. the wrap is overlapped while being wrapped so there's very little chance it would have gaps like that defeating the purpose.. I've managed to wrap exhasut pipes well enough to not have gaps at all!

this is what i'm talking about (not exactly, the ones i used were far thinner and so on, but just for an idea): http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71F2%2BTJ5pgL.jpg

yep, it is basically zip ties made of stainless steel

George-Jung

jayeshrc wrote:
George-Jung wrote:

this is what i'm talking about (not exactly, the ones i used were far thinner and so on, but just for an idea): http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71F2%2BTJ5pgL.jpg
Ok thanx! :mrgreen:

.poz

A wrap or another sort of removable cover is the only thing Ferrari is allowed to do on exhaust. Insulating paint or other sorts of coating are a change in a frozen part.

Thatsnotgonewell

.poz wrote:A wrap or another sort of removable cover is the only thing Ferrari is allowed to do on exhaust. Insulating paint or other sorts of coating are a change in a frozen part.
I thought that exhaust manifolds were designed by the chassis constructor, not the power unit manufacturer. If so maybe the wrap could be a cost saving option for Marussia over zircotec or other coatings?

Crucial_Xtreme

OmniCorse reports Ferrari tried to insulate/cover the exhaust in Montreal but was rejected by the FIA/Charlie. It sounds like they tried to use some sort of spray on liquid but it was deemed illegal but the use of the wrap will be fine.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/40649/ ... -lo-scotch
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 07 Aug 2014, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

Crucial_Xtreme

Inside look at the transmission case of the F14T. They have a story up on the problems of the F14T --> http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 98832.html

via AMuS

FW17

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Inside look at the transmission case of the F14T. They have a story up on the problems of the F14T --> http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 98832.html
via AMuS
So where is the oil tank with in the gear box casing? All i see is a cradle for turbocharger with its heat shielding.