Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

stefan_
stefan_

Germany 2014 - Saturday (19.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

Hungary 2014 - Thursday (24.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

SiLo

Car is beautiful. Currently running on track with some flow-vis between the front wing pillars and on the pillars themselves. Anyone noticed any changes in that area?

EDIT**

It's also on the under tray too.
Felipe Baby!

basti313
basti313

SiLo wrote:Car is beautiful. Currently running on track with some flow-vis between the front wing pillars and on the pillars themselves. Anyone noticed any changes in that area?

EDIT**

It's also on the under tray too.
No...I think they just need to get new correlation tests for the wind tunnel without FRIC. Front wing and T-tray are the crucial parts on car height.
Don`t russel the hamster!

emmepi27
emmepi27

Very nice shot of Mercedes's diffuser under view (nextgen auto)

stefan_
stefan_

Hungary 2014 - Saturday (26.07.2014)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

GA on Mercedes brake cooling in Hungary.

via AutoSport

CBeck113
CBeck113

stefan_ wrote:Germany 2014 - Saturday (19.07.2014)

Can someone explain why it is allowed to cover the wear hole (the front hole, mandated in the regulations and can be seen in Drawing 1 of Appendix 1) with metal? Sort of removes the entire reason for it, or do I see this wrongly? :wtf:
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

seinfeld
seinfeld

1/2 time report and comments for me

Mercedes Are going to see A LOT of engine/ turbo and Gearbox failures from now on. They have been running them far too hard. various Mercedes power plants have failed since Monaco in other teams, And now seeing it in the works teams as well.

Lewis will be leaving at end of this year 70% chance I think that it will happen. And I don't think Lewie will be following any team orders at all. even if it's last race nice is running 2nd and lewis is 1st. lewis can't win championship, but Nico can. I don't see him moving over if that was the case! Hamilton had every right to say no at Hungary. Nico would have been in front of Lewis had Jean Eric Verne not been racing beautifully that day. JEV was doing really well. and Nico dropped anywhere 5- 12 seconds not being able to pass JEV. which then brought Lewis into play

Question regarding the diffuser. the picture of that diffuser looks AMAZING. question, do the strakes need to be curved at all? I'm sure the curve wouldn't make the pressure any lower. is it purely to push the air away from the close following opponents front wing?
Why don't they mandate straight strakes to help cars follow easier. by making the air less dirty?

Since when has brake fluid been clear?

McMrocks
McMrocks

CBeck113 wrote:
Can someone explain why it is allowed to cover the wear hole (the front hole, mandated in the regulations and can be seen in Drawing 1 of Appendix 1) with metal? Sort of removes the entire reason for it, or do I see this wrongly? :wtf:
Lets have a look at the technical regulations:
3.13 Skid block :
3.13.1 Beneath the surface formed by all parts lying on the reference plane, a rectangular skid block,with a 50mm radius (+/-2mm) on each front corner, must be fitted. This skid block may comprise no more than three pieces, the forward one of which may not be any less than 1000mm in length, but must :
f)Have no holes or cut outs other than those necessary to fit the fasteners permitted by3.13.2 or those holes specifically m
entioned in g) below

g)Have seven precisely placed holes the positions of which are detailed in Drawing 1...
Could it be that Merc claims that the metal pieces are fasteners to attach the skid block?

3.13.2 says:
Fasteners used to attach the skid block to the car must :
a) Have a total area no greater than 40000mm² when viewed from directly beneath the car.

b) Be no greater than 2000mm² in area individually when viewed from directly beneath the car

c)Be fitted in order that their entire lower surfaces are visible from directly beneath the car.
When the skid block is new, ten of the fasteners may be flush with its lower surface but the remainder may be no more than 8mm below the reference plane.
It sounds utterly stupid but i have no other explanation for the metal pieces

Jordan44

seinfeld wrote:1/2 time report and comments for me

Mercedes Are going to see A LOT of engine/ turbo and Gearbox failures from now on. They have been running them far too hard. various Mercedes power plants have failed since Monaco in other teams, And now seeing it in the works teams as well.

Lewis will be leaving at end of this year 70% chance I think that it will happen. And I don't think Lewie will be following any team orders at all. even if it's last race nice is running 2nd and lewis is 1st. lewis can't win championship, but Nico can. I don't see him moving over if that was the case! Hamilton had every right to say no at Hungary. Nico would have been in front of Lewis had Jean Eric Verne not been racing beautifully that day. JEV was doing really well. and Nico dropped anywhere 5- 12 seconds not being able to pass JEV. which then brought Lewis into play

Question regarding the diffuser. the picture of that diffuser looks AMAZING. question, do the strakes need to be curved at all? I'm sure the curve wouldn't make the pressure any lower. is it purely to push the air away from the close following opponents front wing?
Why don't they mandate straight strakes to help cars follow easier. by making the air less dirty?

Since when has brake fluid been clear?
I'm 90% certain Hamilton will be at Mercedes after this year, seeing as his contract expires after next season, not this season... If Mercedes get rid of him I'm sure they can expect to be used for breaching a contract, I severely doubt Lewis is failing to meet their performance targets. This is for discussion of the car anyway, not the drivers.

Merc aren't running their engines 'too hard'. If they can't run them at 100% for a certain period every race then there's something wrong which needs to be fixed with their components. Even Renault are now running at full power. The ERS failure in Canada was caused by them ignoring the temperature warnings, the gearbox failure was a fault with their new specification of gearbox which gives 'seamless downshifts', and the recent qualifying woes were manufacturing faults out of their control. I think Merc will be reliable for this next half of the season.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

SPA, Belgium GP

Mercedes running new low drag rear wing incl. smaller monkey seat (tested in Silverstone):

SectorOne

So it was a low drag monkey seat. I seem to remember people thinking it was gonna replace the current one.
Interesting shape of the outer edges of the DRS wing, don´t think i´ve seen that before.

Scary thought that Mercedes opting for a low drag solution seeing as it´s incredibly fast in a straight line even with all the DF strapped on to it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

lio007

New rear wing from the back: