Adrian Newey on quitting F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: Adrian Newey on quitting F1

Quasi-endurance hybrids with an artificially flat powercurve are not true racing engines to my mind, they are just boring.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

autogyro

What do you think the chances are that Adrian will surface in Formula E?
He knows where the future is.

CHT
CHT

autogyro wrote:What do you think the chances are that Adrian will surface in Formula E?
With Redbull kind of money and their strong extreme sports following, they might as well just set up Formula X-1 themselves.

Andres125sx

What if they limit aero to XXXX points of downforce at XXX speed?

They still could develop aero to lower drag, this would follow their tendency of improving efficiency, and also would equal things to avoid dominant cars making F1 so boring

timbo

xpensive wrote:Quasi-endurance hybrids with an artificially flat powercurve are not true racing engines to my mind, they are just boring.
You think they are boring or they actually bore you? Flat or not, they have enough torque to spin the wheels up to 3-4 gear, while V8s could not. My only objection is the sound, but driving wise they are much more interesting to look at.

xpensive

timbo wrote:
xpensive wrote:Quasi-endurance hybrids with an artificially flat powercurve are not true racing engines to my mind, they are just boring.
Flat or not, they have enough torque to spin the wheels up to 3-4 gear, while V8s could not.
I guess you mean they have high mid-range power, which is xactly the artificial part I object to, all due to a constant fuel-flow.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Andres125sx

xpensive wrote:
timbo wrote:
Flat or not, they have enough torque to spin the wheels up to 3-4 gear, while V8s could not.
I guess you mean they have high mid-range power, which is xactly the artificial part I object to, all due to a constant fuel-flow.
Constant fuel flow is responsible for the flat part of the power curve, not for the high mid-range power, that´s thanks to the turbo.

Without fuel flow limit, mid range would be the same (or very similar), but the curve wouldn´t be flat at any rpm, it would continue raising as any other power curve

As any production car. Two cars with same peak power, one aspirated and one turbo, turbo will always have much better mid range power... and low range too, at least once turbo start blowing wich today is pretty soon

iotar__

Engine guys must be loving it though. Don't act as if you know what he's talking about, you sympathise with him and if it wasn't like that F1 would be great like in, I don't know 2003 or 1997. Another good old times vague subject: what happened to creativity?! I thought turbo thing Merc did was creative, same as Ferrari's no engine cover but their turbine not so much. Wasn't Newey leaving for a decade, I guess when you stop winning it helps you to make a decision.

Pierce89

autogyro wrote:What do you think the chances are that Adrian will surface in Formula E?
Not unless they allow chassis development. Formula E only allows powertrain development and only after this first season.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pingguest

Shrieker wrote:"You have 70 liters of fuel to work with. Bring in any engine you want."

I see nothing wrong with that. We'd not have had to suffer the sorry sound either. Even my dad (who doesn't give a s***) complained about the sound this last race... So yes, nothing wrong with F1 becoming too engine oriented - if there ever is such a thing.
A fuel consumption limit only might be unsafe, as it does not prevent teams and the engine manufacturers to make the engines generate an incredible amount of power. Without a fuel-flow limit the current breed of engines are capable to produce around 2,000 bhp.

Bearing in mind that power is or should be just one of the performance differentiators, wouldn't it be better to limit the total amount of engine power to somewhere between 800-1,000 bhp?

CHT
CHT

It's kind of worrying that there are now more discussion about trying to find ways to slow down f1 than to make it go faster.

McMrocks

Andres125sx wrote:What if they limit aero to XXXX points of downforce at XXX speed?
Well if i was an engineer i'd design my wings that way that they stall just before speed xxx. By doing so you could achieve higher df than XXXX points below that speed but still be within the rules.

What i want to say is that it was almost as difficult to control as a budget limit.

lebesset

is F1 a sport ?
if so it has to be primarily a drivers formula rather than the designers formula that it has become

the pendulum needs to swing back ! as someone said recently , the drivers need to be the heroes , in which event interest will return
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

timbo

lebesset wrote:is F1 a sport ?
if so it has to be primarily a drivers formula rather than the designers formula that it has become
But it almost always were.

timbo

xpensive wrote:I guess you mean they have high mid-range power, which is xactly the artificial part I object to, all due to a constant fuel-flow.
But they still have MORE power at the throttle than V8s. Full throttle % decreased over the lap, and this is nice thing to see.