Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall II

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

SectorOne wrote:Now the question is what does the new nose do? From a straight to concave surface and a bigger cutout on the sides.
It looks like Mercedes' interpretation of Ferrari's concept. If so, I think it creates a low-pressure area (downforce) immediately under the nose, and it allows more air to flow around the nose (toward the sidepods/bargeboards/leading edges of the floor) instead of over it.

Given Mercedes' unassailable position atop the standings, it's probably not a bad idea to start developing the concept now, because next year's rules practically require it.

dans79

bhall II wrote: Given Mercedes' unassailable position atop the standings, it's probably not a bad idea to start developing the concept now, because next year's rules practically require it.
I have read this dumb article several times, and it seems like the nose Merc started the year with, will meet next years specs with some minor tweeks.
197 104 103 7

scarbs

I have read this dumb article several times, and it seems like the nose Merc started the year with, will meet next years specs with some minor tweeks.
Why dumb? Mercs design will still be legal, but not necesarily any advantage with just a 140mm wide tip and mo centering regulation

diego.liv

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/40945/ ... crash-test

Obviously new crash test because of the nose and lighter nose.
Mercedes lighten the W05 by 8 Kgs (17+ Lbs) since the beginning of the season

atanatizante

1. Red circle : small wing is bend downwards, probably a vortex generator in order to stop detaching the boundary layer over the top of the side pod?
2. Yellow circle : split driver windshield, maybe working in conjunction with the new RW?
3. Anybody knows if Lewis was running with a Gurney flap in Qualy?
4. Anybody knows why on FIA website they don`t have timing information anymore?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Burgess

Rosberg has had the wind deflector at least all year.

diego.liv

1. Red circle : small wing is bend downwards, probably a vortex generator in order to stop detaching the boundary layer over the top of the side pod?
2. Yellow circle : split driver windshield, maybe working in conjunction with the new RW?
3. Anybody knows if Lewis was running with a Gurney flap in Qualy?
4. Anybody knows why on FIA website they don`t have timing information anymore?[/quote]

1. Since start of season
2. Can't be so effective (methink)
3. Yes, both cars took the nolder off
4. No idea, was looking for Max Speed yesterday and i was deluded too not to find 'usual' event infos

stefan_

Belgium 2014 - Saturday (23.08.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mbchc

May I ask what is the use of the tape on the brake air intake? I saw them using for a couple of races already , however while they reach the middle of the race , they seems to try taking off them. I wonder why they are doing that and as if they don't took them off , their wheel soon be covered up with brake dust or somewhat. Sorry for my bad English lol :D
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

RA168E

mbchc wrote:May I ask what is the use of the tape on the brake air intake? I saw them using for a couple of races already , however while they reach the middle of the race , they seems to try taking off them. I wonder why they are doing that and as if they don't took them off , their wheel soon be covered up with brake dust or somewhat. Sorry for my bad English lol :D
They use the tape to cover up the brake ducts when its cooler out, so they can keep temperature in the brakes. As the race progresses or the weather warms up they remove the tape so they dont overheat the brakes.

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

prince

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/08/24/ ... ed-brakes/

A Statement by Brembo, in conjunction with Merc points to the root cause of Lewis' brake glazing problem.

SectorOne

prince wrote:http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/08/24/ ... ed-brakes/

A Statement by Brembo, in conjunction with Merc points to the root cause of Lewis' brake glazing problem.
That is just bad journalism,
The statement read: “Following extensive joint analysis of the previously unseen failure mode experienced by Lewis Hamilton during Q1 at the German Grand Prix, Brembo and Mercedes AMG Petronas have reached definitive conclusions concerning the cause of the failure.”
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

mf_fer

First post here, recently registered but I do have been reading some threads here for a while, having justified myself for any newby mistake here's my question.

Today, as Nico locked his left front wheel which gave him some "on the limit" vibrations after due to the flat spot(s) the lock wasn't just a case of a locked wheel dragging and then releasing, it happened at least 3 times in that short amount of time. That reminded me of the operating principles of abs in cars.

Know, I know an F1 one driver is well capable of managing his brakes, but it also occurred to me if the portion of braking provided by the energy recovery system could be electronically tuned to reproduce such effect and therefore minimize or distribute a huge flat spot on the tire over smaller ones.

Glyn

mf_fer wrote:First post here, recently registered but I do have been reading some threads here for a while, having justified myself for any newby mistake here's my question.

Today, as Nico locked his left front wheel which gave him some "on the limit" vibrations after due to the flat spot(s) the lock wasn't just a case of a locked wheel dragging and then releasing, it happened at least 3 times in that short amount of time. That reminded me of the operating principles of abs in cars.

Know, I know an F1 one driver is well capable of managing his brakes, but it also occurred to me if the portion of braking provided by the energy recovery system could be electronically tuned to reproduce such effect and therefore minimize or distribute a huge flat spot on the tire over smaller ones.
Are you saying they are using brake by wire - to produce abs