Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atlantis

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

I've noticed in FP2 that the FW elements are flexing, anybody else noticed it too?
Was watching the onboard nose mounted camera around 38 minutes to the end of the session.

roadie

Yeah I noticed a little of that with the innermost part of the upper elements. They are not supported there so I guess some deflection is to be expected.

atlantis

Yes roadie, exactly that part was flexing

xDama

atlantis wrote:Yes roadie, exactly that part was flexing
I've seen it too in other races of Williams. I think it was in Austria when the tv-overlay gave a decent reference point and you could really see quite some flexing.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

acosmichippo

roadie wrote:I remember Mercedes saying they run maximum downforce everywhere.
That can't be right, otherwise they wouldn't have a low DF/Drag package for Spa and Monza.

mbchc

Was FIA banned flexible wings this year due to Red Bull's flexible front wing in 2011? How can they pass the load test before putting on to the track...? I'm confused ..
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

Thatsnotgonewell

mbchc wrote:Was FIA banned flexible wings this year due to Red Bull's flexible front wing in 2011? How can they pass the load test before putting on to the track...? I'm confused ..
The FIA definitely runs the tests. The wing flexes, just not more the FIA test maximum.

Everything is a spring, it will always flex to some extent.

mbchc

Thatsnotgonewell wrote:
mbchc wrote:Was FIA banned flexible wings this year due to Red Bull's flexible front wing in 2011? How can they pass the load test before putting on to the track...? I'm confused ..
The FIA definitely runs the tests. The wing flexes, just not more the FIA test maximum.

Everything is a spring, it will always flex to some extent.
Therefore you mean that the amount of flexibility are safely within the accepted range?
But the amount wasn't huge enough for them to gain an advantage,maybe I'm wrong tho :mrgreen:
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

zioture

Nice Shot Williams SPA GP FP3

roadie

acosmichippo wrote:
roadie wrote:I remember Mercedes saying they run maximum downforce everywhere.
That can't be right, otherwise they wouldn't have a low DF/Drag package for Spa and Monza.
Perhaps up to these races anyway.

Looking at the speed trap figures from FP1 and 2, I can't imagine the team taking any downforce off the car for qualifying and the race.

cubejam

atlantis wrote:I've noticed in FP2 that the FW elements are flexing, anybody else noticed it too?
Was watching the onboard nose mounted camera around 38 minutes to the end of the session.
http://gfycat.com/MiniatureYearlyGar

Clip starts with the wing already under load, you can see it pop back up at the bus stop.

scarbs

That seems pretty conclusive, but there's no specific test for the FIA deflection. I doubt this is unique to Williams

roadie

Love this shot that shows everything going on at the front of the car. I think I spot a new vane on the brake duct between the suspension arms.

seinfeld

roadie wrote:Love this shot that shows everything going on at the front of the car. I think I spot a new vane on the brake duct between the suspension arms.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... mass-3.jpg

Thats a frigging beautiful Pic! new wallpaper :)

LookBackTime

Italian GP Monza 2014, Thursday - September 4th

Last edited by LookBackTime on 04 Sep 2014, 21:12, edited 2 times in total.