Any free and good CFD software ?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream
firasf1dream

Re: Any free and good CFD software ?

so tell me exactly why does a CFD program to do meshing ?! why not use the model as it is from the CAD program ?!!

and i didn't really understand what you mean and what i should do to make the calculation in a faster time ?!

Lycoming
Lycoming

Meshing just discretizes the model in space so that a solver can generate the set of equations it must solve numerically.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

ok but why does it have to do that step ! i mean is it like the finite elements method ?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

firasf1dream wrote:so tell me exactly why does a CFD program to do meshing ?! why not use the model as it is from the CAD program ?!!
Because there is no mesh from the CAD program. CFD uses finite elements.

Be careful diving into CFD without understanding any of the science behind it. It isn't all about making pretty pictures...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

riff_raff
riff_raff

firasf1dream wrote:ok but why does it have to do that step ! i mean is it like the finite elements method ?
Every computational analysis application for solving stress, dynamics or fluid flows uses an arrangement of linear elements and nodes that approximates the body geometry being analyzed, and greatly simplifies the number of calculations required to solve the problem.

Modern CAD software applications have the capability to define surfaces and solids with a very precise level of precision. In fact the CAD models are now very close to being exact representations. But analysis tools like FEA or CFD still require a simplified representation of linear elements and nodes to perform an analysis within a reasonable amount of time using the computing power available to most users. However, back in the old days CAD models also used a system of finite linear elements to represent the surface geometry of parts, and it was called tessellation.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Ohh, not quite. BEM FEA doesn't mesh the internal volumes, and there are some particle based FD codes that don't use meshes as such.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

aha ok thanks guys

ajaybh
ajaybh

I could recommend SimScale. It is a cloud-based tool where simulations can be set up on a browser. It does not need the hassle of licenses or installations. The CFD part of SimScale is based on OpenFOAM.

SimScale offers a free version where one can get up to 3000 hours for computing. For the free version, the projects created are publicly available. However, if one would like to keep your project private, a professional version is also available. There is also a two-week free trial for the professional version of the platform.

The SimScale tutorials and materials provide easy to understand materials to help with usage of SimScale platform. In addition, you can explore the public projects database, where there are loads of projects already available.

Some nice examples related to CFD and racing:
1. Simscale was used by the Panteras racing team: Blog post
2. Aerodynamics of Alfa Romeo P2 1930: Project in database

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

firasf1dream wrote:hello guys,
i need please a free and good CFD software to study a design, i am using windows xp and my design will be made by solidworks or catia
If you're looking for a good, free CFD program, you will most likely need to use OpenFOAM if you want to trust the results that you get. Several F1 teams use it (Mercedes and Manor to name a couple), albeit a non-stock version, but I am using it at a team currently with good success. It is open source, which means that there is pretty much zero documentation and instructions on how to use it - the way to get it is to pay for it... which is heinously expensive, and the teaching that they give you is super basic stuff. Youtube vids and running the tutorials and then looking over the log files etc is often enough to get you started.

You will want to export your SolidWorks CAD as an .stl in ascii format with units of meters. Set the lengthscale resolution to the finest, but leave the angular tolerance as default; make sure that you do "not" have "translate parts to positive space" checked.

A really good way to get it on your machine would be to download this: geekocfd
I have had to compile OpenFOAM myself several times across a few different linux builds and it is always a nightmare. This package is about 4Gb, but it is an OpenSUSE build of linux which comes with pretty much every single package and script that you will need for OpenFOAM already installed and working perfectly!! There is also a post-processor called ParaView which you can use to analyze meshes and do all your other post-processing, along with (I think...) a pre-processor called MeshLab. If they aren't on there, they are free to download anyway.

There are a few cloud computing things out there such as SimScale which you can use in the beginning that actually solve using OpenFOAM. The way this is set up is that instead of typing a string with a variable to denote say the meshing refinement level you want at some edge, the online app gives you a text box with a little mouse over tool tip that tells you what the setting does. Very handy to get a feel for it... BUT!!... if you are wanting to actually get into the nitty gritty of things and mesh and simulate with very high quality, it isn't enough (for example if you are wanting to change the constants which a particular turbulence model uses to fit your type of analysis). Also, they give you I think 3000hrs free or something? But if you mesh for say 15mins, they deduct 1hr for it anyway - so you chew through it quickly.

OpenFOAM is a challenge, but that's kinda why I like it; it forces you to know exactly what you are doing in order to simulate something... Having said that, in my code, there are literally comments which say "// 3 seems to work here...??" as it is very temperamental at times!! But yeah - start with SimScale and give us a shout if you have any issues :mrgreen: Same to everyone who wants to give it a crack.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Vyssion wrote:Over 150 Aerodynamics Papers Free!!
You mean stolen / shared without permission.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

andone89
andone89

Had my first go at a CAD software. :D