2014 Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2014 Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

djos wrote:
I'm fine with 2 mandatory compounds per race but artificially bad tires are help no one - I can't for the life of me work out Pirelli's business plan? Everyone I know who watches F1 would rather set fire to their wallets than buy Pirelli tires for their cars!
Poor Pirelli is actually being screwed by the FIA, most people who compared Pzero Corsas to Pilot Sport Cups actually prefer the Pirellis.

djos

2014 Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps

Sevach wrote:
Poor Pirelli is actually being screwed by the FIA, most people who compared Pzero Corsas to Pilot Sport Cups actually prefer the Pirellis.
Pirelli make the tires, they can bring any compound they like, sure the FIA has requirements but surely Pirelli could implement them differently?

Eg make tire that can be raced hard on for 20 laps and then fall off a cliff over 2 laps?

How good Pirelli's road tires are is irrelevant if their brand image is damaged by F1 IMO.
"In downforce we trust"

mikeerfol

Actually I've heard and read their road tyres are worse than the F1 ones :P

dans79

djos wrote: Eg make tire that can be raced hard on for 20 laps and then fall off a cliff over 2 laps?
that was the 2012 tires and they sucked. what they need are tires that have well defined and consistent performance parameters.
197 104 103 7

djos

dans79 wrote:
djos wrote: Eg make tire that can be raced hard on for 20 laps and then fall off a cliff over 2 laps?
that was the 2012 tires and they sucked. what they need are tires that have well defined and consistent performance parameters.
I was thinking more like the last lot if Bridgestone's, they were amazing for 30 laps and then they just died iirc.
"In downforce we trust"

iotar__

djos wrote: I was thinking more like the last lot if Bridgestone's, they were amazing for 30 laps and then they just died iirc.
That's what Dyer thought and look where he is now ;-) Just re-watch some 2010 races and see how bad it was in dry conditions, one-stoppers everywhere, nothing good, pure or interesting about it. Tyres sentiments are weird, remember the grooved ones? You had to abuse them and it took some time for them to work (AFAIR), oh good old days. BTW 2012 was one of the more interesting seasons - ask Alonso.

djos

We never used to have 1 stoppers till the idiots in the FIA banned refueling. :(

Another option would be to specify 3 compounds to be used per race and let the tires companies bring improved ones every weekend like they do in nascar then the teams will always be learning new tires. :D
"In downforce we trust"

irsq4
irsq4

Any infos of the speed traps after Eu Rouge?

Thunder

According to Marc Surer on Sky Germany in FP3 until now it is Ricciardo and Alonso 312, Hamilton 311, Rosberg 310, Bottas 309, Button and Vettel 308. Yesterday Ricc and Button both went through Eau Rouge with 309 kph.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Sevach
Sevach

That's close to what the V10s did at that point... so much for "it won't be flat".

SectorOne

absolutely pissing down now. 40 min until start.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

johnny99
johnny99

mikeerfol wrote:Actually I've heard and read their road tyres are worse than the F1 ones :P
Seems your listening to the wrong people, the road tyres are very good

John

SilverArrow10

I can see this getting postponed. Spa's difficult at the best of times.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

xDama
xDama

SilverArrow10 wrote:I can see this getting postponed. Spa's difficult at the best of times.
It cleared up completely. Typical Spa weather :D
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

jericho

probably rain in 25 minutes...