Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

Just saw Maldonado oversteering in Eau Rouge and it looked to me the hot air exit at the back is asymmetrical.
Like a big cannon on the left, a small on on the right side.

Am i seeing things?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Thunder

It caught my Eyes too. So much asymetric things happening on that Car. If i am not mistaken from what i've seen the Exhaust including the Rear Wing support, the Nose, Hot Air Exit and the top of the Sidepods are not mirrored. Aside from the Nose, I wonder what they want to achieve with that.
Last edited by Thunder on 23 Aug 2014, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

SectorOne

had a better look now and sure enough, left hot air exit is about twice the size.
Easily the ugliest formula 1 car in modern times. I just can´t see how these asymmetrical ideas are any good.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Godius

Here's a screenshot from reddit

http://www.gfycat.com/RedZestyHyena

scarbs

The left sidepod houses the turbo intercooler set up.

SectorOne

Doesn´t this affect the aero quite significantly? I mean it just looks so wrong.
One side basically blocks of the entire side while the right is relatively slim.

Edit: also is that a bigger hole on top of the sidepod?

f1316

Could it be that every bit of asymmetry downstream is all to compensate for the effects of the nose concept? I.e. the airflow is already asymmetrical because of the nose so they're trying to even it up with asymmetrical bodywork.

If so, seems like a lot of effort for a slightly higher nose...

timbo

f1316 wrote:Could it be that every bit of asymmetry downstream is all to compensate for the effects of the nose concept? I.e. the airflow is already asymmetrical because of the nose so they're trying to even it up with asymmetrical bodywork.

Don't think so. There were plenty of asymmetrical cooling outlets on the mid-00's cars (Williams and Ferrari most notably) with perfectly symmetrical noses.
The rear end might also be for the testing only, to check both configurations at once.

Holm86

timbo wrote:
f1316 wrote:Could it be that every bit of asymmetry downstream is all to compensate for the effects of the nose concept? I.e. the airflow is already asymmetrical because of the nose so they're trying to even it up with asymmetrical bodywork.

Don't think so. There were plenty of asymmetrical cooling outlets on the mid-00's cars (Williams and Ferrari most notably) with perfectly symmetrical noses.
The rear end might also be for the testing only, to check both configurations at once.
McLaren has had their pieces of asymmetric bodywork as well. Both asymmetric sidepod intake and outlets, and asymmetric exhaust outlets.

JRodrigues

Could it be that it provides more downforce to the left side of the car (since it is a clockwise track)? Like in NASCAR where the cars are lower on the left side.

mbchc

JRodrigues wrote:Could it be that it provides more downforce to the left side of the car (since it is a clockwise track)? Like in NASCAR where the cars are lower on the left side.
You mean Nascar on an oval ring? They are meant to constantly turning left, but not F1 cars. AFAIK teams build up their car in half and let the computer calculate the rest. Since the car is identical , and if the car with a side only more downforce, I believe they will lost a lot of time on the straightaway. :roll:
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

lio007

A closer look to their asymmetric bodywork:

henra

lio007 wrote:A closer look to their asymmetric bodywork:
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Lot ... 805524.jpg
Wow! That's quite an asymmetry!

Unfortunately past experience let me firmly believe that Air tends to be rather stupid an not to comply with too clever designs....
In contrary, Air, feeling stupid, might get pi**ed and fight against it. :mrgreen:

Per
Per

What strikes me on that pic is the mechanical design of the upper wishbone. At FSAE, design judges would never stop telling students that there is absolutely NO excuse for having suspension rods in bending.

So were the FSAE judges exaggerating or have Lotus come up with a poor design?

PhillipM

This is F1, aero trumps everything.

Unfortunately.