Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

Thunders wrote:
CHT wrote:
We had an all german Merc and all british Mclaren just a few years back.
The all british McLaren was at least mostly british. The only things German at Merc are the Money, the Badge and arguably Nico Rosberg.
Nico's father is a Finn and Nico was born in Monaco...Just saying :D
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Thunder

bauc wrote:
Nico's father is a Finn and Nico was born in Monaco...Just saying :D

Thats why i said "arguably". :wink:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

SectorOne

bauc wrote:Nico's father is a Finn and Nico was born in Monaco...Just saying :D
Nico as far as i know was born in Germany and has a German mother which makes him half german, half finish.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bauc

SectorOne wrote:
bauc wrote:Nico's father is a Finn and Nico was born in Monaco...Just saying :D
Nico as far as i know was born in Germany and has a German mother which makes him half german, half finish.

Okey noted, back on thopic - Button to retire if his contract is not extended with Mclaren?!

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 72833.html
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SilverArrow10

All the big teams have their own top drivers, and the smaller teams wont be able to afford JB. If he gets kicked out of McLaren I think he will retire.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

acosmichippo

you could have said the same about Massa just last year. Who knows what the silly season will bring.

adrianjordan

SilverArrow10 wrote:All the big teams have their own top drivers, and the smaller teams wont be able to afford JB. If he gets kicked out of McLaren I think he will retire.
Button as much as admitted this during the BBC pre-race coverage
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sasha

It looks like their throwing the bank at Alonso for 2015.

$24 million Euros a season.

There seams Alonso has a out clause in his contract with Ferrari.

And still working on Vettel and Newey for 2016.

Writinglife

I'd welcome Newey, but I doubt he would go back,

Alonso lost all my respect when he threw his toys out of the pram the last time he was at McLaren, and Vettel lost it slowly over the course of his feud with Webber. I think only Maldonado and Grosjean are the only other two drivers who I don't want gracing the doors of McLaren.

acosmichippo

Red Bull is letting Newey work on whatever projects he wants because he is disenchanted with F1... so why would he opt to go to McLaren?

mclaren111

After what happened at Mclaren in 2007, FA will want No1 status guaranteed. Ron for some reason does not believe in that - who knows why any team would if you look at Shumi's & Brawn's success over those years.

There is no change of FA back at Mclaren. LH might move out of the German camp & SB might move to prove his critics wrong as not being so good a driver after all.

AnthonyG

Writinglife wrote:I'd welcome Newey, but I doubt he would go back,

Alonso lost all my respect when he threw his toys out of the pram the last time he was at McLaren, and Vettel lost it slowly over the course of his feud with Webber. I think only Maldonado and Grosjean are the only other two drivers who I don't want gracing the doors of McLaren.
What do you have against Grosjean? Imo he's a brilliant driver and I think he'll fit in perfectly at McLaren.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Writinglife

AnthonyG wrote:
Writinglife wrote:I'd welcome Newey, but I doubt he would go back,

What do you have against Grosjean? Imo he's a brilliant driver and I think he'll fit in perfectly at McLaren.
Grosjean has developed, I agree, but I'm concerned over his start in F1 which was problematic at best and terrifying at worst. I feel he wasn't ready for F1 racing and I worry what would happen if he changed teams and moved away from the support structure that Lotus put in place for him. I certainly have nothing personal against him, and I respect the fact he seems to got past that phase of his career, but as it stands, I would prefer another, more senior and experienced, driver in McLaren as a leader. (Not as a Number 1 driver, but as someone who can provide excellent feedback during testing, and who is skilled, competent and with controlled aggression on the track). As it stands, I think Kevin Magnussen should stay in for next year as he's had a good start to his career, and I'd be happy with Button staying on a year-by-year contract to provide the stability in team for the next season as he could be a good, positive link to Honda coming in. His familiarity with Japan, it's business culture and Honda could be extremely valuable.

If forced to take another current driver, Bottas & Kvyat from the newer generation of drivers, Hamilton if things go completely pear shaped with Mercedes AND Rosberg wins the championship (if Rosberg does it in a deserving manner and not through anything underhanded). I'm tempted by Hulkenberg, but he seems to be very much a mystery. He drives races and you're surprised by his performance at the end, He doesn't set the F1 world alight, but he's solid and scores points. I would select Alonso over Vettel, but it would be Hobson's choice in my opinion. I'd also look at Vergne who seems to score a point or two in most of his races. Looking at past drivers who have F1 experience, I'd give Di Resta another chance on a years contract, and I'd also consider Senna (Bruno obviously, I don't think Ron goes in for black magic)

Out of all that, It's probably clear that I haven't a clue who I'd pick to replace Button if he left, but I hope fervently that Ron Dennis can make a inspired choice and bring McLaren alive again. (and bring a decent paint job on the car)

adrianjordan

Writinglife wrote:...Grosjean has developed, I agree, but I'm concerned over his start in F1 which was problematic at best and terrifying at worst. I feel he wasn't ready for F1 racing and I worry what would happen if he changed teams and moved away from the support structure that Lotus put in place for him.
Don't forget who put that in place though (or at least was there and almost certainly involved in it) - Eric Boulier...so there's nothing to say that the same setup couldn't be put in place at McLaren...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

lio007

Peter Prodromou should have started his work yesterday at McLaren.
I wonder what his new role will be within McLaren, because Tony Salter als Principal Aerodynamicist and Guilaume Cattelani as Head of Aerodynamics already joined the Team.

Is there any information about that?