has any one read The science of Formula 1 design ?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream

has any one read The science of Formula 1 design ?

hello guys,
i need to know if anyone has read the book : The Science of Formula 1 Design - third edition ?

if yes, is it worth buying for technical information on how to build the car ?
Last edited by Steven on 05 Sep 2014, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to book

Greg Locock

Re: has any one read The science of Formula 1 design ?

I haven't read it. It seems unliklely to me that any book like that would tell you much that is directly useful about building a car. I'd start with something like Kimini http://www.kimini.com/

As to whether it goes into the science this amazon review implies, not so much "This book is disappointing as it is short on the science and technology of Formula 1 cars which is not what title implies.
There are too many anecdotes and historical references which are available elsewhere."

If you want graphs and cutaways and so on the Peter Wright Ferrari book is pretty good.

firasf1dream

ok but this one seems general not specialized F1 cars, ok it talks about mid car engines but F1 car are more specialized and has lot's more especially these years generation

thepowerofnone

Perhaps state what you are looking for in a book and some people on the forum might be able to recommend the best text? There are lots of different answers to that question depending on what you are looking for.

firasf1dream

thepowerofnone wrote:Perhaps state what you are looking for in a book and some people on the forum might be able to recommend the best text? There are lots of different answers to that question depending on what you are looking for.
ok i am looking for something more specific about F1 and about generation of cars that started in 2009 +

Steven
Owner

I have not read or seen the third edition, but I do have the second edition from 2006 on my bookshelf.

I think it's more than a decent book to get an idea of the technology of F1 in the days of the book. Obviously, the book describes technology of the most recent years, so if you're looking for cars beyond 2009, than buying a book from 2009 is probably not entirely what you need, except if you can live with that. Perhaps reading through the book, and then checking through the "all cars ever" section on F1Technical will be good for you?

firasf1dream

Steven wrote:I have not read or seen the third edition, but I do have the second edition from 2006 on my bookshelf.

I think it's more than a decent book to get an idea of the technology of F1 in the days of the book. Obviously, the book describes technology of the most recent years, so if you're looking for cars beyond 2009, than buying a book from 2009 is probably not entirely what you need, except if you can live with that. Perhaps reading through the book, and then checking through the "all cars ever" section on F1Technical will be good for you?
well i have a copy of that book it's more from 2004
anyway thanks i will check then here, i would have preferred more details which goes into calculation and stuff but anyway i will see what i can find