2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2014 Italian GP - Monza, September 5-7

Realized i haven´t seen the monza pole lap and reading this got me even more intrigued.
Rosberg had a slight edge in the first sector of the lap, but Hamilton was untouchable in the second, particularly at the two demanding Lesmo corners. So much so that Williams's head of performance Rob Smedley was moved to describe his pole lap as "quite stunning".

"The real difference was in the two Lesmos," Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said. "The minimum speed through the two apexes in the Lesmos was very high."
In fact, Hamilton's minimum speed at the first Lesmo in qualifying was an eye-opening 15km/h faster than Rosberg's.
There was no answer to that.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29102305
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Ninners

Pole lap couldn't be seen because of camera break on Lewis' car for the first 2 sectors. Hamilton said Nico was faster in sector 1 because he had a car a few seconds ahead so he was getting a slight tow which meant he was faster down the straights. He did say he was faster into the first chicane but Nico was faster out.

Shrieker

Gaz. wrote: A lot of the issue for many people is why would a German speak to a Brazilian & Briton in Italian despite a second Brit being in the room and not speaking the language?
This is very rude among friends. In a group of people, even if they've just met each other, it's basic etiquette to speak the language everyone understands even though it might not be the most fluent choice individually. That language more often than not ends up being English. But more to the point, it just proves they aren't friends anymore. Just shows why on the podium Hamilton gave a very awkward answer to the question of "are you friends again ?" by saying "yeah of course, we're team mates, and always will be". What ?!? lol.
Last edited by Shrieker on 15 Sep 2014, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

strad

This is very rude among friends. In a group of people, even if they've just met each other, it's basic etiquette to speak the language everyone understands even though it might not be the most fluent choice individually.
Jeeeeeez. You might want to explain that to soooo many people here in the U.S. Pretty common to find people talking in their native language and often you KNOW their talking about you. Especially if you understand a bit of Spanish or Italian. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

theblackangus

strad wrote:
This is very rude among friends. In a group of people, even if they've just met each other, it's basic etiquette to speak the language everyone understands even though it might not be the most fluent choice individually.
Jeeeeeez. You might want to explain that to soooo many people here in the U.S. Pretty common to find people talking in their native language and often you KNOW their talking about you. Especially if you understand a bit of Spanish or Italian. :wink:

And you dont find that rude?
I know I do =)

SiLo

We can easily discuss luck if you are objective about it (Kind of a weird statement but you know what I mean). Rosberg has had one failure (plus one quasi failure in canada) and made three mistakes(Monaco, Spa, Monza), two of which actually benefitted him.

Hamilton has had 4 failures and made two mistakes (Silverstone, Austria) none of which actually benefitted him.

Rosberg benefitted from Hamiltons failures in Germany, Canada, Austria and Australia, and also from his own mistake in Spa and Monaco.

Hamilton benefitted from Rosbergs failure at Silverstone, and his mistake in Monza (although this may have been moot if Hamiltons car had gotten off the line OK, another issue that can be ignored).

So using a scorecard, the first number being mechanical failures\mistakes and second being benefitting from the other drivers mistakes/failures.

Rosberg = -4 (+6)
Hamilton = -6 (+2)

I'm super tired, so if this doesn't make sense... just ignore me!
Felipe Baby!

strad

theblackangus wrote: strad wrote...... quote]

I know I do =)
Oh I absolutely do. did you think otherwise.. I don't see where I defended Nico for this.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

theblackangus

strad wrote:
theblackangus wrote: strad wrote...... quote]

I know I do =)
Oh I absolutely do. did you think otherwise.. I don't see where I defended Nico for this.
I didn't think you were defending nico per say, but the way you started your post I read that as you were saying its common, simple misunderstanding.

Richard

I didn't realise we had such a strong following in infant schools. The outbreak of "You can't be my friend, you're a troll and I'm not going to play with you" has been deleted.

ps - The people refusing to be friends all smell of elderberry so who'd want to play with them anyway?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhVg2uLVDtk[/youtube]

PlatinumZealot

Can people please stop talking about Nico and Nico in this thread. It is just sickening!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SectorOne

Small update on Hamilton´s lucky start,
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/515115134596161536 I´m sure it was not in his plans to actually gamble on when the lights go out but i do wonder if maybe sometimes they do that.
Also if you go back and watch the 2013 Hungary start you can hear some guy in the audience absolutely nailing the lights with one of those gas canisters, forgot the name.

You can hear Beep, Beep, Beeep, Bang (lights go out)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

SectorOne wrote:Small update on Hamilton´s lucky start,

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/515115134596161536

I´m sure it was not in his plans to actually gamble on when the lights go out but i do wonder if maybe sometimes they do that.
Also if you go back and watch the 2013 Hungary start you can hear some guy in the audience absolutely nailing the lights with one of those gas canisters, forgot the name.

I don't think you can predict it; the time is variated and sometimes there's seconds between the times of one start and an other. One guy in the audience being lucky doesn't mean it's a fixed timing. The red lights do have a fixed timing, but the time between red lights popping to green is variated and I actually believe dependant on Charley Whiting's push on a button.
#AeroFrodo

Phil

50ms is pretty damn quick. Here's a stupid little site to test your own reaction time: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

Note: Unfortunately the site does not messure (simulate) the actual latency the computer itself indoces or the time it takes to actually press the mouse button. Looking at the statistics though, the majority of people seem to hover around 200-300ms. I'm 31, and I just managed an average of 208ms (best 189 / worst 220ms) though a couple of weeks back, I was around 250ms on average. I'm inclined to think that either the 50ms time of Hamilton is either wrong or indeed, he was very lucky (he gambled).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

siskue2005

turbof1 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Small update on Hamilton´s lucky start,

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/515115134596161536

I´m sure it was not in his plans to actually gamble on when the lights go out but i do wonder if maybe sometimes they do that.

I don't think you can predict it; the time is variated and sometimes there's seconds between the times of one start and an other. One guy in the audience being lucky doesn't mean it's a fixed timing. The red lights do have a fixed timing, but the time between red lights popping to green is variated and I actually believe dependant on Charley Whiting's push on a button.
Yes the five lights going on one second apart, but the last part where the 5 lights goes off varies randomly, according to what the computer decides and frankly no one know when it will go off
Below you can see the Th can be randomly delayed

SectorOne

turbof1 wrote:I don't think you can predict it; the time is variated and sometimes there's seconds between the times of one start and an other. One guy in the audience being lucky doesn't mean it's a fixed timing. The red lights do have a fixed timing, but the time between red lights popping to green is variated and I actually believe dependant on Charley Whiting's push on a button.
Yea you can definitely not predict it, but you can gamble on it.
The Hungary guy never predicted it, he just nailed it completely.