K314- a cardboard F1 car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Waywardism

Re: K314- a cardboard F1 car

How many hours does it take for you to make a car like this?

kosioBG

um, i haven't really thought about it, maybe around 50. Can't be sure, but it takes about 2 months, an hour a day, not every day. something like that :? #-o

kosioBG

Hi guys, time for a lengthy report :D

Suspension

The suspension itself is pretty similair to what I built for the F14T. The big difference of course are the hubs, which will allow removable tires later. However, there are some less evident improvements as well. Firstly, the wishbones are made of thinner cardboard and are thus more precise. Also, a small piece of wire extends outward from the wishbones and into the hub for more strength. There was no such thing previously, the brake ducts were glued directly to the arms. The brake ducts themselves are quite simple, and I've added some little flaps for better looks. And last but not least, I also installed brake discs and callipers.

Enough talking, some pics.
Here's the front end:

And a slightly out of focus pic concentrating on the brake ducts and little winglet:

Moving to the beautiful back end now :D

One more:

Here you can see the brake system more clearly:

And the current state of the car:

Next step: the nosecone :wink: I'm excited, because it will also be removable!

Cheers :D

kosioBG

Hi again :)

Nosecone

This is the first time I've ver built a separate nosecone, so I didn't really know what to expect. Getting the shape right wasn't too easy, I had to build 2 cones before getting where I wanted. The attachment pins weren't too tough to glue and align, however I couldn't really achieve perfect straightness (next time :oops: ) Appart from that the cameras and decals were pretty straightforward.

And mounted:

That's it for now; next components: front & rear wings

Cheers :D

kosioBG

Hi chaps, report time :D

Front and rear wings

The wings don't feature any dramatical improvements over last time. However, I designed them without copuing any real car and tried to be as precise as possible. After all, I have to justify what's on the rear wing! :) So, here it is:

There is a small monkey seat, but the area is a bit dark to be seen.

The front wing is quite different from the F14T's. I designed it in such a way that it deflects as much air as possible outwards, so there is a gap between the endplates and the two top elements. The cascades have the same task, so I kept them simple. Two strakes below the upper elements increase the effect. The main plane itself divides in three, just like the Ferrari one. Also note the tire temperature sensors. About 40 - 50 pieces make up the whole wing.

The carbon fibre is actually glossy, but you can't see it in the picture :(

And the current state of the car:
I think it's quite pretty, isn't it? :roll:

Only the tires remain now :D

Cheers! :)

Alonso Fan

Beautiful! Awesome work!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Schifty

Its me or its a Ferrari 2.0 :P

Still better job than what you was able to make since last years, so keep it up.

May be for next fantasy car, build a 100% one from your mind. can me great to saw what its will be look after that in cardboard

kosioBG

thanks! well, i try to add my own ideas, but it would be tough to come up with a completely new design

kosioBG

So the car is ready! Took me slightly longer, but the wait was worth it! Here is the release date:

kosioBG

Here is a sneak peak of the photoshooting that took place today. Release date? Look at the post above. Cheers :D

Alonso Fan

Don't know how you get the time mate, nice progress, looking forward!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

Alonso Fan wrote:Don't know how you get the time mate, nice progress, looking forward!
Thanks! And about the time: well it's what I love doing, so I must find time for it. Wouldn't be worth living otherwise.

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:Don't know how you get the time mate, nice progress, looking forward!
Thanks! And about the time: well it's what I love doing, so I must find time for it. Wouldn't be worth living otherwise.
I know what you mean :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

K314
  • Chassis: K314-01 Handbuilt
    Length: 193 mm
    Width: 68 mm
    Height: 41 mm
    Weight: 27 g
    Date started: 23.06.2014
    Date finished: 09.10.2014
    Materials used: Cardboard, Paper, Paperclips, Toothpics
    Number of parts: ~300
And a few words from me. I thoroughly enjoyed building this car over the past 4 monts. I want to thank all of you who spent some precious time to look at my project. You really motivated me to get better, so thanks! :D I'm also very glad that the removing parts worked perfectly from the first attempt.

Some intriguing facts: if I roughly calculate the building speed, it would be about 0,3 g/h! Another intersting aspect is the weight - which, if the car was enlarged to real size, would tip the scales at 470 kg, having in mind that it has no engine, which goes to show how incredibly light the real thing is!

Enough talking.

Thank you very much guys! Don't forget to stick around, there will be more projects!
Cheers!
:D

CAEdevice

great job, congratulations also for the pictures