Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Frafer

Re: Ferrari F14T

turbof1 wrote:
Frafer wrote:that RW comes straight from Montercarlo, that's the end of F14T updates i guess
Why so? This particular rear wing is built to produce the most amount of downforce possible. Since Monaco and Singapore are aero-wise close cousins, it's only natural to bring the Monaco spec one.

One shouldn't forget that the current cycle of rear wings is very, very limited in what they can alter and develop, close to being a standard part. Combine that with the fact that the RW regulations haven't changed much since 2009, only further restricting design freedom by removing slots in the wing elements in 2011 and a shallower main plane in 2014, and it isn't hard to see the same wing for the same type of circuit.
100% agree, but i was expecting something like some minor improvements/tweaks, like different slots and/or a new monkey sit. For instance, mercedes have upgraded that parts from montercarlo's one

EDIT 1: even alo yesterday evening said they're going to fully focus on the following season, so.. I believe they're expecting to be faster than williams from this race to the end (more downforce-wise tracks) achieving easily 3rd place on constructor's championship, given their current situation it would be IMHO a well-advised decision directing all aero-department to 2015 car.
Last edited by Frafer on 18 Sep 2014, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

stefan_

Singapore 2014 - Thursday (17.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Frafer wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Frafer wrote:that RW comes straight from Montercarlo, that's the end of F14T updates i guess
Why so? This particular rear wing is built to produce the most amount of downforce possible. Since Monaco and Singapore are aero-wise close cousins, it's only natural to bring the Monaco spec one.

One shouldn't forget that the current cycle of rear wings is very, very limited in what they can alter and develop, close to being a standard part. Combine that with the fact that the RW regulations haven't changed much since 2009, only further restricting design freedom by removing slots in the wing elements in 2011 and a shallower main plane in 2014, and it isn't hard to see the same wing for the same type of circuit.
100% agree, but i was expecting something like some minor improvements/tweaks, like different slots and/or a new monkey sit. For instance, mercedes have upgraded that parts from montercarlo's one
It's relative - for instance Ferrari looked like having updated their front brake ducts. It depends where the team feels they can make the most gains and where to spend their time and resources in it.

Remember: teams are only allowed to do a limited amount of cfd and windtunnel work during a week. They have to make choices.

That being said, Ferrari also still has issues with correlation between simulated data and real time data; I personally believe they are still busy verifying if past updates actually work.
#AeroFrodo

diffuser

I was hoping to find some diffuser shots. Wanted to see if they're running the diffuser they tested in Monza.....Maybe tomorrow.

.poz

diffuser wrote:I was hoping to find some diffuser shots. Wanted to see if they're running the diffuser they tested in Monza.....Maybe tomorrow.
i don't know if this picture is from Monza or Singapore but omnicorse reports that Ferrari is using the new diffuser tested in Monza

George-Jung

.poz wrote:
diffuser wrote:I was hoping to find some diffuser shots. Wanted to see if they're running the diffuser they tested in Monza.....Maybe tomorrow.
i don't know if this picture is from Monza or Singapore but omnicorse reports that Ferrari is using the new diffuser tested in Monza

http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... eriore.jpg
Thats the older one..
zioture wrote:New Diffuser Monza GP
They did not use the new diffusor during the Monza race.. only in FP.

f300v10

Not sure which of the two cars this is, but it appears to be using the 'old' diffuser:

stefan_

Singapore 2014 - Friday (19.09.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Gianlu27

Giorgio Piola's illustration about the differences between Singapore (similar to Budapest) and Monza

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

stefan_

Singapore 2014 - Saturday (20.09.2014)

timbo

I wonder if the engine does not have "all out" boost mode, or that it is less radical than on other cars. The relative performance always seem to drop a bit in Q3.

f300v10

Any ideas on why the F14T was suddenly so competative on a track dominated by low speed traction? For the last several seasons Ferrari has struggled with traction out of slow corners, but in race trim the F14T was the second fastest car and without the safety car Alonso could well have finished second.

Outwardly the F14T doesn't appear to have changed much. The front wing is basically unchanged from the start of the season, and the rear wing looks to be the same as the one used in Monaco. So its hard to see where any significant downforce improvements would have occured. That leads me to believe the power delivery of the power unit has been improved, and perhaps suspension changes. The removal of FRIC could be part of it as well.

Italiano

Badly done FRIC-gone. Constant improvement of PU useability and better understanding of the car-in progress. Kimi having slightly more luck-sometimes.... it all adds up.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

FW17

f300v10 wrote:Any ideas on why the F14T was suddenly so competative on a track dominated by low speed traction? For the last several seasons Ferrari has struggled with traction out of slow corners, but in race trim the F14T was the second fastest car and without the safety car Alonso could well have finished second.
Traction improvements can be done with software updates which they have done through the year. Some of this will be undone when the improvements to the top end power and energy recovery will be done for the next years engine.

Ferrari if serious about the improvements should have put the new engine in a mule, but with all the turmoil in management, guess that was expected.

stefan_