Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Chuckjr

Re: Ferrari F14T

Well now we know what the new era of engines should NOT look like for success...
Watching F1 since 1986.

diffuser

WilliamsF1 wrote:
f300v10 wrote:Any ideas on why the F14T was suddenly so competative on a track dominated by low speed traction? For the last several seasons Ferrari has struggled with traction out of slow corners, but in race trim the F14T was the second fastest car and without the safety car Alonso could well have finished second.
Traction improvements can be done with software updates which they have done through the year. Some of this will be undone when the improvements to the top end power and energy recovery will be done for the next years engine.

Ferrari if serious about the improvements should have put the new engine in a mule, but with all the turmoil in management, guess that was expected.

I agree with the power delivery....They've also made some diffuser changes(added vortex generators and wing-let adjustments). The biggest change, for me, is the heat insulation of the exhaust that is allowing them to run the tight red skirt in the back.

Blackout

Is the MGU they placed behind the engine, under the turbo a K or a H one? How is the Clutch/Gbox connected to the crankshaft?

FW17

Blackout wrote:
Is the MGU they placed behind the engine, under the turbo a K or a H one? How is the Clutch/Gbox connected to the crankshaft?

That is one packaging madness.

The V has a air box and intercooler.

Behind the turbo is the turbo pipe.

MGU H is probably between the compressor and turbine all very small and under powered in comparison to Merc

Blackout

Yeah, even the engine's oil tank is behind the engine...

diffuser

interesting conversation with James Allen. http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/japane ... essons-can

Wonder what they did to improve mechanical grip???... Tweaked the rear suspension geometry??

lucafo

Blackout wrote:
The Center of Gravity looks so high for this engine. Why don't they install one intercooler each side and the exhaust in he upper part? It seems more logical to me...

Thatsnotgonewell
Thatsnotgonewell

lucafo wrote:
Blackout wrote:
The Center of Gravity looks so high for this engine. Why don't they install one intercooler each side and the exhaust in he upper part? It seems more logical to me...
Exhaust and intake on the same side of the cylinder is really inefficient for combustion. I don't think anyone's done it for a very long time.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Thatsnotgonewell wrote:
lucafo wrote:
Blackout wrote:
Exhaust and intake on the same side of the cylinder is really inefficient for combustion. I don't think anyone's done it for a very long time.
I think he means exhausts on the inside of the banks of cylinders and intake on the outside of the banks with an intercooler low down feeding individually to its respected bank.

I may be horribly wrong but I believe that regulations do not permit this for some reason.

wuzak
wuzak

trinidefender wrote:
I think he means exhausts on the inside of the banks of cylinders and intake on the outside of the banks with an intercooler low down feeding individually to its respected bank.

I may be horribly wrong but I believe that regulations do not permit this for some reason.
Correct, the regulations specifically require exhausts on the outside of the vee.

emmepi27
emmepi27

Ferrari's exhaust cover (ph Amus)

And i think it's new

f300v10
f300v10

It looks basically the same as the wrap/cover introduced at Spa to me:

Edit: upon closer inspection the material used does seem to have changed, the new one is more dimpled.

Advino116
Advino116

It doesn't have gaps around the joints either

marcush.
marcush.

No Big Deal here in my view .they use different material to cover the Fabric beneath. the new material may be a Little More robust ,as it is Thicker and in the end it is a better Heat spreader as its Aluminium when before this Looks more like a Aluminium coated Fabric to me covering it all up.
In my experience Aluminium coverings work very good to Transport Heat away and remove Hot Spots.And that's what is needed to Keep the bodywork Alive when you reduce Air Gaps.

lucafo

wuzak wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

Correct, the regulations specifically require exhausts on the outside of the vee.
Thanks. Now I can see why the Mercedes used the cooling system in front of the engine. Everything makes sense now. :mrgreen: