2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
frosty125

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

EJ seems to think that Alonso and Vettel could end up at McLaren he also hinted that there is more management changes to take place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29422678

"Honda and McLaren want to hit the ground running. They want Alonso or Sebastian Vettel and it's possible both could wind up there. There are moves happening as we speak and possible scenarios that by the end of October there could be a change of management and of drivers in that team."

Glyn

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

WilliamsF1 wrote:
f1universe wrote:
MOWOG wrote:I have to conclude from that article that Mattiacci is an ass. Good luck to Ferrari with that fool at the helm! :?

Basically, the article suggests that Mattiacci wants some schlub in Alonso's seat so when the 2015 car falls flat, he can blame the driver, not the team. Jules Bianchi should be hoping his phone DOESN'T ring! [-o<

Mattiacci want puppets that he can control, Alonso is a lion, if you don't feed him, he will bite you and people will know it and blame you for not giving him food if you know what I mean.

I had a good vibe about Mattiacci at first but know it looks to me like he is Montezemolo 2.0, a guy with a big ego.
Ferrari started going down hill when the multi ethnic team became more of italiancentric team post schumacher era. When stefano left I thought they will bring someone neutral but they still feel strongly for nationalism
It's a shame James Allison has gone there. I don't see him able to impart some authority on his designs and really do something risky and creative.

Time will tell though if he can come up with something worthy.

And if anything, if Alonso isn't driving. It is more ammunition for Mattiacci to blame the team, rather than the drivers. If a car is decent, any f1 driver should be able to win with it.

radosav

Apparently Alo - Mclaren is done deal, from the guy who reported Massa to Williams first!
http://www.diariomotorsport.com.br/2014 ... n-em-2015/

Sasha

Alonso is at Honda R&D this morning.Honda will give him prove the 2015 Honda PU isn't behind like the Italian Motorsport Press states.

Shrieker

Well it looks like at least he's headed somewhere he's actually wanted. And that's exactly why i called Ferrari brain dead...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

akshat21

Sasha wrote:Alonso is at Honda R&D this morning.Honda will give him prove the 2015 Honda PU isn't behind like the Italian Motorsport Press states.
Do you have any source to confirm Alonso is at Honda??

bauc

akshat21 wrote:
Sasha wrote:Alonso is at Honda R&D this morning.Honda will give him prove the 2015 Honda PU isn't behind like the Italian Motorsport Press states.
Do you have any source to confirm Alonso is at Honda??
Source please?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

zeph

radosav wrote:Apparently Alo - Mclaren is done deal, from the guy who reported Massa to Williams first!
http://www.diariomotorsport.com.br/2014 ... n-em-2015/
I'm still not convinced, but here is the Google Translate anyway:
The Daily Motorsport can say with conviction, that the Spaniard Fernando Alonso, Formula 1 world champion in 2005 and 2006, will be the holder McLaren's team in 2015 Although you can not also need when will the official announcement, the parties' lawyers - pilot, McLaren, Ferrari and Honda - have found a common denominator and the shutdown of Alonso's contract with the Italian team, who prayed his stay until 2016, has already been implemented.

The approach of the Japanese Grand Prix next Sunday, had caused an acceleration in the whole process and the last edges were repaired during the race in Singapore. To the contract for "several years" there is no obstacle on contractual fine, as the basis for the hit have been resolved between the contractors and the new Ferrari. Despite all the secrecy surrounding the operation, is still not ruled out an announcement in the coming days in Japan.

Richard

Shrieker wrote:Well it looks like at least he's headed somewhere he's actually wanted. And that's exactly why i called Ferrari brain dead...
It takes two to tango. Alonso went there following the romantic dream of the prancing horse. The team wanted romance of a second Schumacher era. That sort of romance doesn't last forever.

The trouble with trying to live the dream and recreate past glory is that the present isn't the same as the past. It's naive to think otherwise. RB & Merc have shown the rigour needed to rebuild a team, but Ferrari stuck with the same leaders for too long. They seem to be changing that now, but it apears to be too late to rescue the love affair with Alonso.

mclaren111

Agree - Need the source !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

turbof1

I don't fully get why he needs to leave. He again stated that wants to stay, but that it depends on Ferrari. Alonso is one heck of a driver, Ferrari knows that, and still looks to be motivated. Why does he need to leave? Does Mattiaci wants to make point to other employees that you could be fired in an instant and that you need to deliver, by firing Alonso? Trying to make point by that is crazy.

Troubled relations inside the team could be an other explanation, but I don't fully think that's what going on over there. Alonso sends a signal that shows he is prepared to coöperate.

@Richard: It's relative normal to change leadership inside your team when performance is at a low, but removing a very good driver sounds just crazy. Maybe the fire has dimmed a bit, but it is very difficult to justify removing a willing Alonso from the team.
#AeroFrodo

Phil

Perhaps Alonso isn't very happy due to the way the car can't get him where he wants to go - and after investing 5 seasons of energy and not seeing much improvement (actually, the opposite seems to be the case), I'm not sure how motivating to the team he would be. Perhaps a new driver, a future without Alonso, would spark the team in ways that might see them improve. Crucially, I think this is where Stefano just lacked the balls (for lack of a better word) to do what is necessary. I don't think there is any doubt about Alonso's qualities as a driver - but I do put a question mark behind how good he is for the (that) team as a whole. There's only one way to find out.

What looks like suicide at the moment, might just prove to be the step in the right direction for Ferrari.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

Phil wrote:Perhaps Alonso isn't very happy due to the way the car can't get him where he wants to go - and after investing 5 seasons of energy and not seeing much improvement (actually, the opposite seems to be the case), I'm not sure how motivating to the team he would be. Perhaps a new driver, a future without Alonso, would spark the team in ways that might see them improve. Crucially, I think this is where Stefano just lacked the balls (for lack of a better word) to do what is necessary. I don't think there is any doubt about Alonso's qualities as a driver - but I do put a question mark behind how good he is for the (that) team as a whole. There's only one way to find out.

What looks like suicide at the moment, might just prove to be the step in the right direction for Ferrari.
IMO, these questions only pop up in moments of serious doubt. If that's what going on at Ferrari, they simply don't know what else to do. "Still nothing. Hey you know what we haven't tried? Replacing our best driver." A driver is still a driver. He gives feedback about the car, but generally development of the car is 99% engineering work. Alonso neither engineers or manages the engineering team.

A new driver should be an investment for the future. Alonso explicitly said that he still wants to do several years, so it doesn't look like it's the right time to replace him. In Schumacher's case it did made sense, but simply not in this case.

Maybe we'll get to a decent reason eventually, Ferrari has been keeping this very internally, but with what info there's in the public now, it doesn't make sense.
#AeroFrodo

Richard

turbof1 wrote:@Richard: It's relative normal to change leadership inside your team when performance is at a low, but removing a very good driver sounds just crazy. Maybe the fire has dimmed a bit, but it is very difficult to justify removing a willing Alonso from the team.
I was referring to the team leadership, not the drivers.

turbof1

Richard wrote:
turbof1 wrote:@Richard: It's relative normal to change leadership inside your team when performance is at a low, but removing a very good driver sounds just crazy. Maybe the fire has dimmed a bit, but it is very difficult to justify removing a willing Alonso from the team.
I was referring to the team leadership, not the drivers.
Ah ok. Wasn't fully clear. I thought you were saying "they can drop team leaders, they can drop drivers too."
#AeroFrodo