Sidepod design and the Meredith effect

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Cold Fussion

Re: Sidepod design and the Meredith effect

I was talking about the diffuser before the radiator. I assume it must also have a variable geometry, but I can quite see how it works from that image. Similarly, if we look at the ducting for the BF109 F:

The inlet diffuser in this diagram depicts a separation angle of like 30+ degrees, so I don't see how it doesn't just separate at the entry.

olefud

Re: Sidepod design and the Meredith effect

Cold Fussion wrote:I was talking about the diffuser before the radiator. I assume it must also have a variable geometry, but I can quite see how it works from that image. Similarly, if we look at the ducting for the BF109 F:

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/techref/s ... irflow.jpg

The inlet diffuser in this diagram depicts a separation angle of like 30+ degrees, so I don't see how it doesn't just separate at the entry.
Radiators tend to function on pressure difference and low speed flow through the radiator – though turbulent radiator flow would be an interesting topic. The divergent inlet slows the flow and increases the pressure more or less in accord with the X-section increasing area of the diagram. Slower flow fills the increasing volume in front of the radiator and pressure difference drives the flow across the radiator. The heated air is then reaccelerated through the converging outlet.
There’s not much to be gained from Meredith at car speeds.