Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
countersteer

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

Silicone, most likely in a spray lubricant. I'm not an electronics guy but I know that that stuff plays havoc with electrical contacts. And it migrates as in it can be carried through the air and land anywhere. It can work it's way into a "made" electrical contact and break it. Remember the old Texas Instruments TI-55's II's that were recalled because the keyboards would freak out and double and triple input for single strike? Silicone...

marcush.

the german source clearly states it is a substance used to actually CHECK the harness for defects that caused the issue and it was introduced with the ongoing quality improvement process.. if i read the story correctly.
Of course media is media it could well be a translation issue or lack of understanding from one or both sides who were exchanging information.Surely the electronics or quality guy did not talk to the press himself ...so it´s almost certain there is some grey with what is communicated.
They would not spray silicone into wiring harnesses ....

Shrieker

Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

gray41

I wonder how prominent it will be on the drivers/cars, always liked the positioning on the chin of McLaren helmets over the last 20 years or so.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

turbof1

Is this a case of Hugo Boss expanding F1 presence, or moving from mclaren to mercedes?

EDIT: nvm http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/0 ... E020140706
#AeroFrodo

prince

F1 World would have been so calmer had this been today. It was just last year, exactly at SUZUKA.

MercedesAMGSpy

prince wrote:F1 World would have been so calmer had this been today. It was just last year, exactly at SUZUKA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jObiAeqzrZ8
When Red Bull wouldn't be dominant, maybe Webber and Vettel were best friends forever now. A title changes everything.

SiLo

prince wrote:F1 World would have been so calmer had this been today. It was just last year, exactly at SUZUKA.

That sheds some light on a lot of things. It seems their relationship is a bit of fire and ice.
Felipe Baby!

marcush.

turbof1 wrote:Is this a case of Hugo Boss expanding F1 presence, or moving from mclaren to mercedes?

That was written on the wall since day One .The Connection is Daimler here ,end of Story .

Shrieker

When interests collide, conflict is inevitable. Curiously, a very similar thing happened recently here in Turkey politically. Two friendly factions who have happily been royally fXXXing the entire country for the past 12 years started fighting each other. Because somewhere their interests clashed massively.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

FoxHound

marcush. wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Is this a case of Hugo Boss expanding F1 presence, or moving from mclaren to mercedes?

That was written on the wall since day One .The Connection is Daimler here ,end of Story .
Marcush, how was this "written on the wall since day one"?
You have in the past questioned Mercedes continued participation in F1 when things were not rosy, so surely....this is a coup for Mercedes?
Winning will do that for you, not previous association via catwalk photo-shoots. Otherwise, Hugo boss would have been part of Mercedes in 2010.

Losing Hugo Boss sponsorship is a big loss to McLaren, because it signals the end of their longest associated sponsor....since 1981! :o
3.5 million a year is now not a banker to rely on, and needs improved performance before anyone will pay that sort of money for the mobile real estate.
JET set

adrianjordan

I thought the switch by Boss was already known about for a while now... I'm sure I had already heard it somewhere along with rumours about who would be producing McLaren's kit from next season (including UniQlo at one point I think!!)
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

marcush.

Sorry for being a bit clumsy in my choice of words. all is wanted to say this is a must not an option for somebody originating from this area around Stuttgart .they stuck to their word a written contract but without hi king twice now they support the mutual brothers of the area.
This might even have to do something with fears to lose Daimlers support for Formula 1 .Its called networking ....give the Daimler board good reason to stay put.

PlatinumZealot

Mister purple cush, how do the Germans view Toto Wolf? Are you guys cool with him?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Kingshark

Mercedes-Benz 2014 WCC! :mrgreen:

What a season this has been, and what a car the WO5 turned out to be. It can still win 16 races this season, which has never been done before.