Need help: steering wheel/steering column connection point

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
firasf1dream

Need help: steering wheel/steering column connection point

hello guys,
i am building a steering wheel similar to F1 but please i need to know what is the name of these bases in red in the pictures and where can i buy one ?

here are the pictures :

firasf1dream

Re: please help, where to find this wheel base ?

hello guys,
no replies ?!

bhall II

Re: please help, where to find this wheel base ?

If you can, change the title of the thread so that it asks about steering wheel connections. Wheel base, or wheelbase, typically refers to the distance between the front and rear wheels.

turbof1

Re: Need help: steering wheel/steering column connection poi

I changed the title.
#AeroFrodo

firasf1dream

ok thanks a lot, you are right i didn't know what exact title to write

Salu123

If you can, change the title of the thread so that it asks about steering wheel connections. Wheel base, or wheelbase, typically refers to the distance between the front and rear wheels.
Kick

Sanjay13

I think what you are looking for is called a steering wheel quick release.

However I don't know what the mechanism in the right side of the 2nd image is used for. Hope it helps :)

lotus7

While we are at it, does anybody have info on the steering column wiring loom , electronic connectors between steering wheel and column loom , of a F1 or similar car ' Lots of connections taking place when changing or fitting the steering wheel. Bluetooth or something similar ?

knabbel

The connection is standard CAN-Bus

lotus7

knabbel wrote:The connection is standard CAN-Bus
Do you have details of the physical connection ?

firasf1dream

Sanjay13 wrote:I think what you are looking for is called a steering wheel quick release.

http://www.sparcousa.com/sites/default/ ... p%2009.jpg

However I don't know what the mechanism in the right side of the 2nd image is used for. Hope it helps :)
no not the quick release, i am looking for the mechanical system at the end of the column that will give me force while steering

firasf1dream

lotus7 wrote:While we are at it, does anybody have info on the steering column wiring loom , electronic connectors between steering wheel and column loom , of a F1 or similar car ' Lots of connections taking place when changing or fitting the steering wheel. Bluetooth or something similar ?
no not bluetooth which i used to think it was first when i started to get into it 2 years ago, it's simply like a PS joystick, the wiring is by a circular connector something similar to these
https://www.google.com.lb/search?newwin ... -nChsLWCf4

turbof1

firasf1dream wrote:
Sanjay13 wrote:I think what you are looking for is called a steering wheel quick release.

no not the quick release, i am looking for the mechanical system at the end of the column that will give me force while steering
The description mentions a "steering hub" or "steering hub adapter", and "steering column shaft". Perhaps it's that?!?
http://www.sparcousa.com/product/quick-release

Going back to your images, the top image most definitely is the hub. Concerning the second image however, the steering column shaft is the general term for the complete column assembly that gets connected to the steering wheel. There are all kinds of diagrams to find when you google "steering wheel column", so I think you'll get what you want that way.
#AeroFrodo

knabbel

firasf1dream wrote:

That is a force feedback servo motor.

You better use an existing force feedback steering wheel and modify that. Because except for the mechanical parts,k you also need alot of electronics and drivers to control it.

firasf1dream

knabbel wrote:
firasf1dream wrote:

That is a force feedback servo motor.

You better use an existing force feedback steering wheel and modify that. Because except for the mechanical parts,k you also need alot of electronics and drivers to control it.
no i have my electronics system which i built, so i only need a spring system to make the steering wheel go back to the original position so it resist your hand force