Stupidest racing quote?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Stupidest racing quote?

This topic should have a wealth of xamples to present from, how about this one;

"It looks promising, but we're still not sure about it."

Nigel Mansell on his active-suspension Williams after he was a couple of seconds ahead in 1992 pre-season testing.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

simieski

Re: Stupidest racing quote?

Sorry for the long post, but how on earth is one supposed to pick a winner from this inspired collection form the one and only, irreplaceable Murray Walker...

"He's obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because I can't see it"

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go"

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?"

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does"

"Alboreto has dropped back up to fifth place"

"As you look at the first four, the significant thing is that Alboreto is 5th"

"I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem"

"He is shedding buckets of adrenalin in that car"

"It's raining and the track is wet"

"And there's just a few more corners for Nigel Mansell to go to win the Canadian Grand Prix...and...he's going rather slow....HE'S STOPPING HE'S STOPPING!"

"and this is the third placed car about to lap the second placed car"

"they say clothes maketh the man... the clothes are Niki Lauda's, but the contents are me..." as Murray prepares to take a drive in a F1 car." [He gets a total distance of... oh, 1 foot before he stalls it.] (Apparently, this was the second attempt to film Murray in an F1 McLaren - the first, earlier that day, had gone very well, but for technical reasons couldn't be used!)

[During a F1 race, describing how the leader can see the driver following him] "... Mansell can see him in his earphone..."

"So Bernie [Ecclestone], in the seventeen years since you bought McLaren, which of your many achievements do you think was the most memorable ?" Bernie Answers, "Well I don't remember buying McLaren." [Bernie Ecclestone used to own the Brabham team].

Murrary: "What's that? There's a BODY on the track!!!" James: "Um, I think that that is a piece of BODY-WORK, from someone's car."

Murray: There's a fiery glow coming from the back of the Ferrari James: No Murray, that's his rear safety light

As an introductory piece for a rallysprint race, Murray was put in the Navigator's seat alongside Tony Pond in a Chevette HSR (270 BHP, rwd, and TWITCHY), added an in-car camera, and wired Murray for sound. The result can be deduced by extrapolating his usual excitement and enthusiasm, and adding a large pinch of raw terror! "And there's a 600 foot drop on my left..AND we're doing 120 mph... AND we're approaching a hairpin...OH MY GOD we're going to die..."

[after a post race interview with Mansell after the Austrian GP 1987] Murray : "How did you get that nasty bumb on your head Nigel?" [Nigel leans forward to show the camera as Murray pokes it with his finger !] Nigel: "OWCH!!"

Murray: And look at the flames coming from the back of Berger's McLaren
James: Actually, Murray, they're not flames, it's the safety light.
Murray, commentating on rallycross from Lydden, describes how a BMW driver has cut holes in his windscreen so that his visibility is improved in all the muck... as he is doing so, the car crashes heavily into an earth bank...

From the Spanish GP 1995: "and Eddie Jordan is in fifth place"... (actually Eddie Irvine in one of his compatriot Eddie Jordan's cars).

"...and he's lost both right front tyres" (which may have been accurate back in the days of the Tyrrell P34, but it was from 1995!)
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Nando

xpensive wrote:This topic should have a wealth of xamples to present from, how about this one;

Nigel Mansell on his active-suspension Williams after he was a couple of seconds ahead in 1992 pre-season testing.
Sounds like one of the smartest quotes of the decade.
It wasn´t exactly reliable and the fact that he knew that says alot.

Also, if you don´t mind me questioning, what´s up with the complex spelling with the X´s? I´ve seen 12 year old girls do that type of spelling so i´m just surprised to see it here :)

No offense at all ment fyi.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

xpensive

And after winning the first five races of the 1992 season, Nigel said;

myurr

Someone on f1technical.net wrote:Arrrgh OMG the Canadian students are coming! Cancel the GP!!

Websta

Eddie Jordan

Pandamasque

Fun thread. Some real classics there.

Nowadays you're more likely to get meaningless quotes like this one.
"All in all, I think... yeah." I probably don't even need to tell you who coined that one while describing his Spanish GP. :)

enz0

It's not exactly stupid as much as it is stupidly funny......

In Brazil

A reporter asked Kimi Raikonen

Reporter: Kimi did you see Pele

Kimi: I didn't, I was taking a sh*t. :lol:

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

xpensive

"Two years from now we will be faster than McLaren"

Team owner Cyril de Rouvre after acquiring AGS in 1990.

PlatinumZealot

We have to exclude Murrary walker from this! He can have a whole forum discussing his "Murray-isms" much less a thread. It would more refreshing to hear about other personalities.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

N12ck

“Hug the inside of the first corner like it's your favourite granny.”

Martin Brundle :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer

xpensive

Swedish commentators conversation during the 1986 Portuguese GP;

- For how long can he wait to attempt at a pass?
- Until the last corner on the last lap I guess, after that he's toast.

rohit1594

"Fernando is faster than you"

MOWOG

Co-announcer to long time ABC motorsports commentator Chris Economaki during the formation lap before the start of an Indy 500 race:

Q. Chris, why are the cars weaving back and forth like that? Are they trying to warm up the tires?

A. No, they are just testing the steering to make sure if works properly. :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.