Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Moose
Moose

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

Blackout wrote:But the Merc nose will not be legal in 2015. The first version of the W05 might have a legal lengh but it is too wide...
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 12&t=20007
Sure, but the Merc nose is extremely close to legal (the closest of all the current noses), so Lotus will be testing something that looks very similar to the Merc nose (but presumably will be 2015 legal).

Pierce89

Moose wrote:
Blackout wrote:But the Merc nose will not be legal in 2015. The first version of the W05 might have a legal lengh but it is too wide...
Sure, but the Merc nose is extremely close to legal (the closest of all the current noses), so Lotus will be testing something that looks very similar to the Merc nose (but presumably will be 2015 legal).
Uhhm...no. The Ferrari nose is definitely the closest to the 2015 regs. Much closer than the Merc both in length and tip height. I think I even read somewhere that the Lotus test nose would look similar to the Ferrari.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

zioture
zioture

Pierce89 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Uhhm...no. The Ferrari nose is definitely the closest to the 2015 regs. Much closer than the Merc both in length and tip height. I think I even read somewhere that the Lotus test nose would look similar to the Ferrari.
The latest version of Mercedes nose is illegal because 'too short, the first version could possibly be legalhttps://twitter.com/Graftechweb/status/ ... 9527089154

Aquanin
Aquanin

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

kalinka
kalinka

The latest version of Mercedes nose is illegal because 'too short, the first version could possibly be legalhttps://twitter.com/Graftechweb/status/ ... 9527089154[/quote]

That vertical line is not at FWCL :wtf:

dmjunqueira

IMHO looks like this new noose is a very rough prototype...2015 noose will look much more refined.

stefan_
stefan_

United States 2014 - Thursday (30.10.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Moose
Moose

I would absolutely count the above as a more "Mercedes" concept than "Ferrari". The Ferrari nose is made unique by the way it tries to pull air off the top of nose, around the side, and under. This is not something the Lotus nose is trying to do at all by the looks of it.

Blackout

WTF? it's just a Ferrari-like 2014 nose. It looks boxier and thicker because it's shorter than the F14 one.
It's not 2015 legal.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Blackout wrote:WTF? it's just a Ferrari-like 2014 nose. It looks boxier and thicker because it's shorter than the F14 one.
It's not 2015 legal.
Def not 2015 legal. What's interesting is the shape on the underside of the nose.

Moose
Moose

Blackout wrote:WTF? it's just a Ferrari-like 2014 nose. It looks boxier and thicker because it's shorter than the F14 one.
It's not 2015 legal.
If you can't see the difference the way that these noses are designed to work then you really aren't looking very hard. There's nothing here trying to keep air attached to the nose and drag it around and underneath.

Blackout

I'm jutt talking about the tip/the first centimeters of the nose ; )

Hail22

The edge of the nose looks like a diving platform to me :roll:

Would this nose successfully create a low pressure zone underneath the edge / lip?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

F1T
Administrative bot

Lotus debuts 2015 nose concept

Lotus debuts 2015 nose concept - Development blog

Lotus have unveiled their new 2015 nose concept, set to be tested in FP1 by one of their drivers. The team was undecided on Thursday who would debut it.

The design is the result of development for the team's 2015 car, named E23 Hybrid, and reflects the changed regulations that will effectively outrule the team's current twin tusk nose cone. Lotus have said they don't expect their interim nose to work effectively just yet, given that is has not been designed to work with the E22, but rather aims to allow the team to run some comparisons and get real on-track data.

Technically, the nose itself, although not confirmed, looks like a shroud around the twin tusk nose, allowing the team to skip an additional crash test, one that would be mandatory if any of the front impact crash structures would have changed. As a result, the nose follows the contours of the tusks, sloping down forward towards the front wing, where two protruding elements serve as the connection points with the front wing.

Interestingly, the tip of the nose is curved up, attempting to get just that little bit of extra air underneath the nose. This immediately indicates one of the biggest challenges for most teams going into 2015, as all current noses that are set to be outruled were designed to maximise airflow underneath the nose, allowing for more downforce generated by the car's floor and its rear diffuser.

Lotus have yet to confirm if they plan to run the nose at the two other remaining events of the season.