F1 Quiz Chain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
matt21

Re: F1 Quiz Chain

I´m thinking of the cameras themselves.

rohit1594

Titanium? Carbon fibre?

xwz
xwz

Final hint - question came to my mind in context with Blanchimont's last question (no fiction involved though)

Blanchimont

Has there ever been a space mission that allowed advertising on the rocket/astronauts suits?

Edit: Pizza Hut? http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/01/busin ... -logo.html
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

xpensive

Why, Toluene of course.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

xwz
xwz

ok let's solve the riddle -Image
On 18 September at INTESPACE, Toulouse, ESA will integrate a sample of Ferrari's 'Rosso Corsa' red paint with the Mars Express spacecraft. This event is part of a new ESA communication policy aimed mainly at the general public.

Ferrari have much to celebrate: the outstanding success of the Scuderia Ferrari, winning their fourth consecutive Formula One constructors' championship and Michael Schumacher his fifth Formula One drivers' championship. Responding to an ESA proposal, Ferrari have agreed to send the symbol of their winning formula on the ESA mission to the Red Planet. (...)

Following successful completion of a series of rigorous tests, the Ferrari red paint sample will be officially certified 'space qualified' at a ceremony at INTESPACE. Housed in a specially constructed glass globe known as FRED, it will then be formally integrated with the Mars Express craft
source

Given that the sole reason for the strange stunt was publicity, it's kind of funny that nobody seems to have been even able to find out about it .-)

Next question - whoever wants to have a go.

-Felix-

After the banning of turbocharged engines for the season 1989 onwards, the v10 configuration proved itself as the best for the given displacement for NA engines. Although, there was a company who already started to develop a NA V10 for the F1 in the late 70's, while all there was the DFV V8 and the Ferrari V12. They stopped the project because the management wanted the engine to be in a new streetcar also, which wasn't possible obviously. So, which company was it and in which street car should the V10 have been also?

xpensive

Oh mama, never heard about it, but an educated guess would be Peugeot?

-Felix-

No, it was not Peugeot

matt21

-Felix- wrote:No, it was not Peugeot
Guess would be Alfa, but no idea of the street car.

xpensive

matt21 wrote:
-Felix- wrote:No, it was not Peugeot
Guess would be Alfa, but no idea of the street car.
Couldn't be Alfa, as they already had the V12, but perhaps BMW?

-Felix-

BMW is correct, Paul Rosche started with a V10. But what's the background story about the street car?

Simacher

A BMW street car with a possible 3.0L V10 engine... The BMW M1 paperplan?

xpensive

-Felix- wrote:BMW is correct, Paul Rosche started with a V10. But what's the background story about the street car?
I knew there were stories about a larger engine for the 7-series at the time.

-Felix-

Simacher wrote:A BMW street car with a possible 3.0L V10 engine... The BMW M1 paperplan?
Yes, that's it. As the M1 should only serve as a Homologation Model in the first place, there were plans for a common 3.0l V10. Since the numbers of cars produced was risen, that wasn't reasonable anymore and they opted for the inline 6 instead, where they could make use of other serial parts. And then they created the Procar Series with it..

On the one hand I find it quite impressive that Paul Rosche already at that time thought the V10 configuration would be the best, at least some 10 years earlier than others. On the other, it seems it was real luck how it went, because at that time, they would not know the NA engine would not have had a very long career against the TC engines.. A lot of money and manpower would have been wasted.. And surely BMW would not have been the first TC engine WC..

I think it's X's turn, since figuring out which BMW model in the late 70's wasn't that hard..