Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Bomber_Pilot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

mep wrote:
zioture wrote:Nice shot ( AMUS ) of the output of the Mercedes brakes, in Spain they had the shape of chimneys
https://twitter.com/Graftechweb/status/ ... 4549685248
That chimney in the lower picture is clearly illegal because it sticks out of the brake duct box.
I think it was only used during some test.
Those ducts were used at the Barcelona test in mid may. They were used only at the test. You can't race with them, since for the brake ducts to be legal they can't go higher than the top of the rim.

tranquility2k4

Good article by Mark Hughes on the W05: http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/ho ... le-winner/

I especially like his appreciation of this: "The way that two key innovations of the car – the front lower wishbone design and the front-mounted compressor – come together at the sidepods to amplify the effect of each other is conceptually beautiful."

Phillyred

"A key innovation of the Mercedes power unit is the siting of the compressor at the front of the engine rather than in the conventional position at the back in unit with the turbine. This feature is shared by all the customer teams, but the W05’s design team has taken spectacular packaging benefit from it." -- From the above article

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I thought the factory team was the only Merc powered team to have done this?

aleks_ader

Phillyred wrote:"A key innovation of the Mercedes power unit is the siting of the compressor at the front of the engine rather than in the conventional position at the back in unit with the turbine. This feature is shared by all the customer teams, but the W05’s design team has taken spectacular packaging benefit from it." -- From the above article

Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I thought the factory team was the only Merc powered team to have done this?
No, from PU side. Accordingly homologation rules they are obliged to offer same package to every customer team.
But that doesn't include the chassis side. The difference was made in the engineering process of combining those element way before all customers team. The way how the Brackley and Brixworth work together is true proof of concept of the 1&1 cooperation.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

flyboy2160

Don't talk about car pace here, just car parts. Unless you're on the Team, and maybe not even then, you don't know what causes the car's pace or whether they are sandbagging.

SiLo

aleks_ader wrote:
Phillyred wrote:"A key innovation of the Mercedes power unit is the siting of the compressor at the front of the engine rather than in the conventional position at the back in unit with the turbine. This feature is shared by all the customer teams, but the W05’s design team has taken spectacular packaging benefit from it." -- From the above article

No, from PU side. Accordingly homologation rules they are obliged to offer same package to every customer team.
But that doesn't include the chassis side. The difference was made in the engineering process of combining those element way before all customers team. The way how the Brackley and Brixworth work together is true proof of concept of the 1&1 cooperation.
Things like integrating the cooling system into the chassis springs to mind.
Felipe Baby!

SectorOne

Scarbs as usual with some nice drawings and chatter about the W05,

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

otbsti

I'm no professional photographer and I certainly didn't have the same access they had, but here are some pics of the car from today at the USGP:

"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

Holm86

Scarbs on the new Photos of the Mercedes PU.

stefan_

United States 2014 - Thursday / Friday (30-31.10.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

otbsti

Not quite the W05, but here's the show car they have at the USGP with the combination W05/W04/W03 pieces up close and personal:

^Wouldn't surprise me if this is the rear wing from Lewis' car that caught fire in qually in Hungary with the burn damage...

"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

Owen.C93

Apart from the roll hoop and steering wheel it looks like a W05 chassis to me. Minus a gearbox and engine.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

stefan_

Brazil 2014 - Thursday (06.11.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Crucial_Xtreme

Last week in Austin Rosberg complained of the imbalance of temperatures of the front brakes. It happened again in free practice in Brazil. Merc opened a vent on the left side carbon cover but not on the right. So currently the brake covers are asymmetric on Nico's car.

image via OmniCorse