Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Egresi Tamás

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

Breaking News

CjC
CjC

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

I have heard that bouiller doesn't rate jenson, says he isn't fast enough, you can imagine eric wants to drop jenson, I'm not sure whether Ron wants too though....
Just watched the GP2 feature race and seen another driver problem mclaren have, Stoffel Vandoorme! What a solid, fast and smooth driver he is! Can not wait to see him in a mclaren one day!

Quick analysis- Lewis Hamilton was lightening fast when he started in f1 but was a bit erratic, especially looking after the tyres, it took lewis the best part of 6 years to fully master tyre management and race craft, don't get me wrong lewis has been really impressive this season, now he's harnessed the tyre wear, race craft and kept the speed he's arguably the best driver in the grid now. Where as Vandoorme is lightening quick (4 poles in a row) and can already master the tyre wear, he's almost like a hybrid of Hamilton and button, it makes me think that if Vandoorme gets the same opportunities as Hamilton did, Stoffel might be more successful.
Just a fan's point of view

akshat21

CjC wrote:I have heard that bouiller doesn't rate jenson, says he isn't fast enough, you can imagine eric wants to drop jenson, I'm not sure whether Ron wants too though....
Just watched the GP2 feature race and seen another driver problem mclaren have, Stoffel Vandoorme! What a solid, fast and smooth driver he is! Can not wait to see him in a mclaren one day!

Quick analysis- Lewis Hamilton was lightening fast when he started in f1 but was a bit erratic, especially looking after the tyres, it took lewis the best part of 6 years to fully master tyre management and race craft, don't get me wrong lewis has been really impressive this season, now he's harnessed the tyre wear, race craft and kept the speed he's arguably the best driver in the grid now. Where as Vandoorme is lightening quick (4 poles in a row) and can already master the tyre wear, he's almost like a hybrid of Hamilton and button, it makes me think that if Vandoorme gets the same opportunities as Hamilton did, Stoffel might be more successful.
Considering the situation they had last time with Alonso and Hamilton. I think it would be wiser to have a driver who can play second fiddle to Alonso.

This time they are building a team again. Where Alonso will be invaluable. Last time around they had a strong structure already in place..

Bomber_Pilot

I would love to see Alonso and Vandoorne at Mcl next year.

ringo

CjC wrote:I have heard that bouiller doesn't rate jenson, says he isn't fast enough, you can imagine eric wants to drop jenson, I'm not sure whether Ron wants too though....

I don't think there will be another Hamilton, not for the next 10 years. I've heard praises given to a lot of drivers in currently when they were on their way in. None seem to have the same magic. Formula 1 is a different animal.
We all thought Kmag was the real McCoy, so much so Perez was hastily kicked out. Lo and behold Kmag is no better than perez currently.
For Sure!!

CjC
CjC

Hamilton was helped out massively being able to do a lot of testing before he competitively drove for mclaren. Vandoorme won't get that opportunity, also driving in a competitive car can help a young driver, I'm not knocking lewis but I doubt he would have impressed so much if qualifying 9th was a good result on a Saturday. You are right Ringo we won't see a Hamilton for how ever long it is till we get the new Hamilton but I personally think Vandoorme is the young driver closest to emulating Hamilton at this moment in time. Jury is out on max verstappen, he hasn't properly proven himself yet till we see him in f1.

*Edit- apologies I've been spelling Vandoorme wrong, it should be an N not M. #-o You all know that already though I'm sure. :wink:
Just a fan's point of view

iotar__

Bomber_Pilot wrote:I would love to see Alonso and Vandoorne at Mcl next year.
So Vandoorne is the flavour of the moment now? Last year Magnussen was the better man for the job and McLaren had simulations to prove it. I like Vandoorne more because 1. he's not a son of a former driver (unless he is :oops: ) 2. he actually had competition in GP2 and less margin for error. F1 is a different story and his 2014 might have been similar to Magnussen's. Isn't he rather tall (vague recollection from a photo)?

I don't understand why they didn't put them both in GP2 and gave the better one the seat in 2015 after Abu Dhabi test if they're stuck on their program drivers, Mallya's changing his mind played its part but it was mostly Dennis. Alonso, Kova, Perez and now Magnussen - that would be quite a list.

Boullier sounded supportive of Button and he's not the one making driver decisions anyway. I think explaining to Alonso why he blamed him for Renault's state in 2010 ("demotivated driver that was leaving" and not bad 2009 design/KERS, Ferrari level of negligence, team going for sale, sponsors leaving etc.) is the funnier part.

SidSidney

Have a strong feeling that Ron Dennis is waiting for the outcome of this race to make a move on Hamilton. If Hamilton loses the WDC through some move by Rosberg, even uninentional or accidental, he won't want to stay at Mercedes under any circumstances. And Ron will pounce - he's probably already had several chats and made an offer, one that is almost certainly more than Mercedes would pay for a No.2 to Nico.... OK, it is back with Fred, but times have changed.
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

Writinglife

As much as I hope that Lewis comes back to McLaren to finish out his career, and I can definitely see him wanting to emulate Ayrton, I don't see it happening this year. Whatever happens, I think Lewis will finish out next year with Mercedes and possibly return to McLaren at that point. However, there will need to be a few changes in the way they handle him, they would need to make guarantees about his personal time, freedom to do things (like tattoos, music etc..)

I only hope that McLaren can "loosen" up a little in the way they approach marketing their drivers and letting them be themselves. It's possible to do that, and maintain the high standards. Its the only way they'll get Lewis back.

SidSidney

Writinglife wrote:I only hope that McLaren can "loosen" up a little in the way they approach marketing their drivers and letting them be themselves. It's possible to do that, and maintain the high standards. Its the only way they'll get Lewis back.
The irony of is that teams like Mercedes - and especially Red Bull; I remember a cringworthy interview targetted at Hamilton where Horner said Red Bull "welcomed an outspoken young man full of fresh ideas" - set out to get Hamilton by offering exactly that, but in fact he's probably had to play a much more dominant team line at Mercedes than he ever did at McLaren... sure he gets the trophies and has fewer sponsor days, but in terms of being his own man, I don't think it is better now that Mercedes are laying down the PR law on him.
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

Manoah2u

Regarding Vandoorne having a race seat @ MCl for 2015; forget it.

Ron Dennis told Brundle:

"You presume that there are three people involved in this choice.
But I think you should stretch your imagination to four."

"'Might' is an interesting word,"

answered Dennis,
when asked if Belgian Vandoorne might be a candidate.

However, team boss Eric Boullier played down the Vandoorne rumours,

Suggesting the 22-year-old will spend another year in GP2 to try to win the title.

Ron Dennis on McLaren fielding an Alonso-Magnussen lineup in 2015:

"I have a strong desire for Denmark to wake up," Dennis told Danish television TV3, "and realise that they have an unique opportunity to support someone who could easily become a sporting legend of the country.

"I hope that one of the multinationals realises that life is not always about money but also national pride.

"I've done my part," added Dennis, "and I think it's time that Denmark does the same."
I also believe lewis is a pivotal part in MClaren's decision. Tension is high between Nico and Lewis, and it'll all be decided in just a moment.

If Lewis goes to Mclaren, Alonso goes to Merc.

Anyway; regarding Magnussen. If Magnussen does not come up with backers/sponsors - something seemingly demanded by Ron Dennis and the shareholders [ after all, Dennis made it clear its not just him to decide ], then whom will grab that seat? Will it be Button staying - despite the fact that Jenson has a certain paycheck [ though he's willing to lower his wage ]? Or of whom will MCL choose?

Which realistic options DO they have? I still say Vandoorne does not fit the profile to pop into the race seat next year, and will remain a test driver. I'd see Vandoorne actually being a permanent test driver to Mclaren, like De La Rosa and Gary Paffett and Oliver Turvey.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Waffle

I saw that interview. It was very odd. The McLaren mantra always used to be that they they want the two best drivers. Now he seems to be saying he needs his driver to come with sponsorship. It's sad if that's true, but there's doesn't seem to be any other way to interpret what he's saying.

Manoah2u

Makes me wonder, though. Alonso is returning to Mclaren [ we may assume so ]. Now since the recent death of the owner of Santander does make things a bit more complicated, one would still assume Alonso would bring Santander back to Mclaren [ even though it's not like they really left, though ].

Mclaren offcourse did feel a great loss in the loss of Vodafone - but frankly, i'm having trouble believing Santander would not be big enough of a sponsor Alonso to bring into Mclaren that they'd still require such sponsorship.
Even more, Honda is said to bang in a whopping load of $$ into the team, too. So what to make of this?

I'd say it can boost at least these theories; 1 - Alonso actually won't come. 2 - Alonso won't bring Santander with him. or 3 - it's actually a clever way of Ron Dennis to get rid of Magnussen in a more-or-less clean way.

I'd frankly say it would be the latter. I just don't see how the Danish market could ever bring anything remotely savourable to Mclaren - and I don't think LEGO would be a brand you'd like to see on the Mclaren.

So based upon this; Magnussen def. out in 2015.

And, I still keep in mind Kevin only got there because of Whitmarsh contractual screwups.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Shakeman

I don't believe Lewis would return to McLaren he's much more likely to have another long contract at Merc then see out his career at Williams.

SectorOne

Williams?

He´s going to Ferrari after his Merc stint mark my words.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"