Red Bull RB10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gray41

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

Anyone have a picture of this?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

mikeerfol

So what exactly did they discover?

ChrisM40

mikeerfol wrote:So what exactly did they discover?
A deliberate and obvious mechanism that is designed to make the wing flex.. Building in flex by making the wing structure flexible is one thing, but actually having a device attached to the wing to make this happen is something else.

ajprice

ChrisM40 wrote:
A deliberate and obvious mechanism that is designed to make the wing flex.. Building in flex by making the wing structure flexible is one thing, but actually having a device attached to the wing to make this happen is something else.
Yep. Laying the carbon fibre in the wings in a certain way for the stiffness to be directional and still pass the FIA test then flexing in use is one thing, they could argue its legal as it passes the test. Building a spring into the wing planes isn't something they can talk themselves out of, it's a mechanism built to purposely get around the wing flex rules. If it has got something like this, they could be in deep you know what.

turbof1

http://www.f1technical.net/news/19827
It emerged later from the paddock that the issue revolves around an illegal front flap adjuster. Journalist Adam Cooper was told the FIA discovered a leaf spring arrangement inside a rubber shroud.
So it isn't the carbon fibre layering (as mentioned here before), but a hidden spring in the flap adjuster. Are we suspecting that the intent is exploiting a loophole in the rules, or a deliberate act of doing something illegal?
#AeroFrodo

nacho

Maybe the spring serves a real purpose on the flap adjuster but it's just optimized for flex?

Phillyred

turbof1 wrote:http://www.f1technical.net/news/19827
It emerged later from the paddock that the issue revolves around an illegal front flap adjuster. Journalist Adam Cooper was told the FIA discovered a leaf spring arrangement inside a rubber shroud.
So it isn't the carbon fibre layering (as mentioned here before), but a hidden spring in the flap adjuster. Are we suspecting that the intent is exploiting a loophole in the rules, or a deliberate act of doing something illegal?
That IS the question.. However, I can't imagine a leaf spring being used for anything less than a surface or area that was meant to bend/flex/deflect etc under load and in this case aero load.

SidSidney

Wonder if the new McLaren wing has the same mechanism?
This signature is encrypted to avoid complaints, but it makes me laugh out loud:-
16S75 13E7K 41C53 7CT23 14O5O 67R32 76175 90B67 L4L42 41O63 72W56 98M10 52E87

djos

ChrisM40 wrote:
For all we know it could be part of the adjustment mechanism and only designed to tension the adjustment mechanism.
"In downforce we trust"

Steven
Owner

IF (and that's still not exactly confirmed) there is indeed some mechanical flexing built into the adjuster, that's quite a neat feature, and I would not be surprised if they are running this for quite a while. It's interesting here that the flap adjuster only acts on the upper flap of the front wing. And because that should be moveable, it's not attached to the front wing endplate.

Then, the FIA front wing flex test works by putting a mass on the endplate, slightly ahead of it's middle (in fact, 800mm ahead of the front wheel centreline, whereas the endplate is located from 450mm to 1000mm ahead of the front wheel centreline). This means that it does not test flexing of the flaps, and certainly not the adjustable ones, as they are, as mentioned, completely independent of the endplates.

bill shoe

Very interesting, yes. At least by removing the leaf spring element, RB will be able to field cars in the race tomorrow. If the issue was carbon flex then it wouldn't be clear how they'd fix it.

I will quietly and calmly vote that this smacks of simple cheating, not cleverness or loopholes. But discussion will continue.

I note that RB has bookended Riccardo's fantastic season with DQ's: Australia for intentional fuel consumption violation and Abu Dhabi for flap-gate.

djos

Regardless of flap-gate, how about Dan extracting 6/10ths more out of his rb10 than Seb, that was mega and he did it twice in q3 just when it looked like Seb was getting to grips with the car.
"In downforce we trust"

thisisatest

Blanchimont wrote:I case you didn't notice, there's a tweet tag when writing a message.

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status ... 9318028290
apologies. Sent this from my phone. I tried using the TWEET feature but it didn't show correctly when I previewed it.

SiLo

Wonder if that's what they have been using all these years? I'd really like to know. How have we not seen it from crash pics?
Felipe Baby!

Crucial_Xtreme

Some pictures from today of RB's illegal FW.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is the wing fitted with the illegal spring or not. Searching through other pictures to try to find a difference.