Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
munudeges
munudeges

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

munudeges wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Show me proof. You said the same thing last year and you were wrong.
Alonso will be out of there one way or another by the end of the season.
Looks like I was right then. :D

munudeges
munudeges

It's an absolutely woeful car. Poor aerodynamically, doesn't produce enough downforce (you aren't going to get a large enough volume of air to work with with that nose) and mechanically is very poor. It's as if the turn-in to the corner doesn't exist to that thing. It suits Alonso because he simply throws it to the apex of the corner but it's not a car with a philosophy (whatever that happens to be) that will get anywhere near the front of the grid even if it had a Merc in the back of it.

If anything the power unit is carrying it. The PU was compromised for the sake of aerodynamics and aerodynamically the car simply hasn't delivered. It's certainly something Red Bull wouldn't mind right now.

Pierce89

windwaves wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
This is getting old now.
The "correlation" was fine this season. The power unit wasnt.
yeah, right, traction was phenomenal ! among other things of course. RB, Merc, Williams so jalous of our incredibly performing chassis :)
The fact that the f14t ever beat any Merc teams with that pathetic power unit is a miracle. I would guess that under full throttle the Ferrari PU AVERAGES 50hp less than the Merc. It was clear all season that only the rb10 and w05 were better chassis. Williams should be ashamed that they took the whole season to beat the Ferrari team, when you consider the PU disparity. Are you telling me that the Williams was a better chassis? #-o

As an aside, this is an English speaking forum, if you get my drift.
Last edited by Pierce89 on 27 Nov 2014, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

munudeges wrote:
munudeges wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Show me proof. You said the same thing last year and you were wrong.
Alonso will be out of there one way or another by the end of the season.
Looks like I was right then. :D
Yes you were...finally. You've had Alonso leaving at the end of every season since 2011, so you had to eventually hit it. =D>
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

prince
prince

Pierce89 wrote: Williams should be ashamed that they took the whole season to beat the Ferrari team, when you consider the PU disparity.
Seriously? What do you expect of a team that finished 9th last year? It has taken a while for them to come to grip with the reality that, in fact they have built a competitive car. When you look at Austrian GP, how they DIDN'T went to attack Merc, because they were highly content to be 3rd and 4th, it shows the state of mind. Besides, look at the budget and resources of the two teams and then make a decent opinion. There is nothing to be ashamed for Williams and rather they would be right to feel a sense of over achievement. If anyone should feel embarrassment, it should be McLaren.

windwaves
windwaves

Pierce89 wrote:
windwaves wrote: This is getting old now.
The "correlation" was fine this season. The power unit wasnt

yeah, right, traction was phenomenal ! among other things of course. RB, Merc, Williams so jalous of our incredibly performing chassis :)
The fact that the f14t ever beat any Merc teams with that pathetic power unit is a miracle. I would guess that under full throttle the Ferrari PU AVERAGES 50hp less than the Merc. It was clear all season that only the rb10 and w05 were better chassis. Williams should be ashamed that they took the whole season to beat the Ferrari team, when you consider the PU disparity. Are you telling me that the Williams was a better chassis? #-o

As an aside, this is an English speaking forum, if you get my drift.[/quote]

yes, you are drifting into things beyond your capabilities. But it is ok, just a bit of patience and you can learn too, hopefully.

Of corse Williams chassis is better than Ferrari. Everithing in that car is better and most notably how they could progresse during the seasun wile Ferrari kept goin backwards. And RB chassis is better, and Merc is better and probably Marussia is bettr.

Feel free to correct my English because of course this is what this forum is all about.

windwaves
windwaves

prince wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: Williams should be ashamed that they took the whole season to beat the Ferrari team, when you consider the PU disparity.
Seriously? What do you expect of a team that finished 9th last year? It has taken a while for them to come to grip with the reality that, in fact they have built a competitive car. When you look at Austrian GP, how they DIDN'T went to attack Merc, because they were highly content to be 3rd and 4th, it shows the state of mind. Besides, look at the budget and resources of the two teams and then make a decent opinion. There is nothing to be ashamed for Williams and rather they would be right to feel a sense of over achievement. If anyone should feel embarrassment, it should be McLaren.
I find Williams season absolutely fantastic myself and I am a big fan and supporter. They have done an amazing job and I am happy for Massa too whom I truly thought was pretty much finished as a driver in F1.

But the team's in season development has been a great success story. Truth is Ferrari should be ashamed to be so far behind them !!!!

diffuser

windwaves wrote:
prince wrote:
I find Williams season absolutely fantastic myself and I am a big fan and supporter. They have done an amazing job and I am happy for Massa too whom I truly thought was pretty much finished as a driver in F1.

But the team's in season development has been a great success story. Truth is Ferrari should be ashamed to be so far behind them !!!!

yep, Massa isn't the only driver that can't keep up with Alonzo. He's still one of the best out there. I still can't get over them signing RAI. I would have either stayed with Massa or gone with Bianchi or the HULK. Anyways that ship sailed long ago.

turbof1

Imagine how the alternate universe would have been if Ferrari choose Bianchi to replace Massa... .
#AeroFrodo

giantfan10
giantfan10

windwaves wrote:
prince wrote:

long time reader and first time poster....
its amazing how having the best PU on the grid suddenly translates into having a great chassis and this or that average driver being great.
i'm not even convinced that mercedes has the best chassis... having way more horsepower than your rivals enables you to run much more downforce than they can while your rivals are running less downforce to keep up with your obvious top speed
advantage.
No wonder mercedes is doing mental gymnastics to stop the other teams from being able to develop their PU..
the fact that williams was not competitive at high downforce tracks with a more powerfull PU should make it very clear how weak their chassis really is

munudeges
munudeges

Pierce89 wrote:Yes you were...finally. You've had Alonso leaving at the end of every season since 2011, so you had to eventually hit it. =D>
Nope, I most certainly have not. That was something you made up. :wink:

What I referred to was specifically around what happened at the Hungarian Grandprix last season when it was crystal clear to everyone that Alonso was out then, apart from the morons around here who are always several steps behind what's happening and then conveniently forget what they were told when it actually happens. :D

munudeges
munudeges

diffuser wrote:yep, Massa isn't the only driver that can't keep up with Alonzo. He's still one of the best out there. I still can't get over them signing RAI. I would have either stayed with Massa or gone with Bianchi or the HULK. Anyways that ship sailed long ago.
It wouldn't have made any difference and certainly not in Hulkenberg's case. I like Hulkenberg a lot and the way he drives so I'm pleased he didn't go there this year. That car, and especially its front-end, is designed specifically for the way that Alonso throws the car straight to the apex of a corner. There is no turn-in to speak of. It's consistent, there's very little to go wrong, it masks a lot of handling problems but it's not something you can work with to get speed from.

Lest we forget, as good a driver as Alonso is (and he certainly liked to remind us all how much he turns up to the factory in the winter which he mysteriously doesn't do now), in nearly five years of having a car built for him in a way that no other driver on the grid has Ferrari have went backwards. That's all that matters. Right now they're having to go backwards to undo that in a lot of ways to go forwards.

diffuser

munudeges wrote:
diffuser wrote:yep, Massa isn't the only driver that can't keep up with Alonzo. He's still one of the best out there. I still can't get over them signing RAI. I would have either stayed with Massa or gone with Bianchi or the HULK. Anyways that ship sailed long ago.
It wouldn't have made any difference and certainly not in Hulkenberg's case. I like Hulkenberg a lot and the way he drives so I'm pleased he didn't go there this year. That car, and especially its front-end, is designed specifically for the way that Alonso throws the car straight to the apex of a corner. There is no turn-in to speak of. It's consistent, there's very little to go wrong, it masks a lot of handling problems but it's not something you can work with to get speed from.

Lest we forget, as good a driver as Alonso is (and he certainly liked to remind us all how much he turns up to the factory in the winter which he mysteriously doesn't do now), in nearly five years of having a car built for him in a way that no other driver on the grid has Ferrari have went backwards. That's all that matters. Right now they're having to go backwards to undo that in a lot of ways to go forwards.
Alonzo is also quoted here http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... 86171.html complaining about the F14T for having poor front end grip, amoung other things.

So they didn't design it that way for him.

Raleigh
Raleigh

giantfan10 wrote:the fact that williams was not competitive at high downforce tracks with a more powerfull PU should make it very clear how weak their chassis really is
There were only 2 race's in the 2nd half of the year where Williams was not competitive, Hungary and Japan. Both high downforce circuits plus rain, not a good fit for a car that runs best in med-low downforce configurations and isn't the strongest in raw traction. Even then, good qualifying results at both races (in the dry), 3rd+6th and 3rd+4th.

The Williams chassis is clearly far superior to the other Merc customers and Ferrari (bad traction/fishtailing all over the place, complaints from drivers of no front end grip, massively down on straightline speed to an extent that can only be explained by having to run more wing to compensate for overall lack of downforce), placing the Williams chassis behind only Mercedes and Red Bull. Not bad going to build the 3rd best chassis on the 5th (or 6th?) biggest budget...

giantfan10
giantfan10

Raleigh wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:the fact that williams was not competitive at high downforce tracks with a more powerfull PU should make it very clear how weak their chassis really is
There were only 2 race's in the 2nd half of the year where Williams was not competitive, Hungary and Japan. Both high downforce circuits plus rain, not a good fit for a car that runs best in med-low downforce configurations and isn't the strongest in raw traction. Even then, good qualifying results at both races (in the dry), 3rd+6th and 3rd+4th.

The Williams chassis is clearly far superior to the other Merc customers and Ferrari (bad traction/fishtailing all over the place, complaints from drivers of no front end grip, massively down on straightline speed to an extent that can only be explained by having to run more wing to compensate for overall lack of downforce), placing the Williams chassis behind only Mercedes and Red Bull. Not bad going to build the 3rd best chassis on the 5th (or 6th?) biggest budget...
let me explain a few things to you since you seem to be a little uninformed about what you're talking about... lets start with poor traction for the f14t..what caused that u ask?.. poor power delivery from the PU..Ferrari admitted as much.
massively down on straight line speed is a direct result of having a weak PU... you are obviously a williams fanboy ... i get that.
i suggest you educate yourself about F1 and stop listening to the hype machines called announcers.
what williams has accomplished this year is to be the first of the mercedes PU custuomers to get a decent handle on that engine and its ERS components...The fact that the F14T with its rumored 100 less HP was in a battle for whatever place with williams in the constructors is no feather in williams' cap
both ferrari and renault are now allowed to change almost 50 percent of their PU....in case you choose to forget that advantage that mercedes and williams had all year was frozen...its going to thaw this offseason...i expect williams to be right back to the midfield next year...Mercedes more than likely will still be the standard
I ask again.. why do you think the mercedes PU runners refuse to allow ferrari and renault to be able to upgrade their engines as they please? because they know that their only real advantage is engine power and delivery thats why.
how did the Williams end up behind Ferrari at all 3 high downforce tracks if they have this great chassis? monaco hungary and singapore