Formula 1 Regulations Over stepped the Mark?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Harsha

Formula 1 Regulations Over stepped the Mark?

We all know Formula 1 Regulations are getting ever tightened and if this keeps up then f1 turns to spec series.
I don't remember much of past toys of engineers some of the banned toys are Mass Dampers , Active Suspensions , Blown Diffusers , FRIC Suspensions and lot more.
My question is do Formula 1 need this much of Tightened Regulations and is this not the time to get back to book and take out some regulations off it.
Is there any toys or tools you experts want to see in future cars which are banned ?

Sebp

Re: Formula 1 Regulations Over stepped the Mark?

So much yes! In the words of the great Ken Watanabe: "Let them fight!"

It really seems that every clever idea gets banned sooner or later. Sadly this started ages ago. Fan car, double chassis and second brake pedal spring to mind. Frequently the teams and the weak FIA have to be blamed for this dynamic, in recent at least. The fear of overpowered competition is strong. Rather than finding a way to include the design in their own car, lobbyist are sent to work. I think the FIA on its own could do a much better job at creating an enjoyable playing field for the engineers, as they have demonstrated with the WEC.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Harsha

Sebp wrote:So much yes! In the words of the great Ken Watanabe: "Let them fight!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OltV9YbN0bw

It really seems that every clever idea gets banned sooner or later. Sadly this started ages ago. Fan car, double chassis and second brake pedal spring to mind. Frequently the teams and the weak FIA have to be blamed for this dynamic, in recent at least. The fear of overpowered competition is strong. Rather than finding a way to include the design in their own car, lobbyist are sent to work. I think the FIA on its own could do a much better job at creating an enjoyable playing field for the engineers, as they have demonstrated with the WEC.
its amazing for me as lot of old tools how they all work with this time with all this simulations and opportunities to develop more compared to past as they don't have this much of facilities but sadly FIA keep on banning them again or trying to standardize them (heard standard Active suspension might return in 2017 or further)

MOWOG

Reading the first few posts in this thread makes me question the sport's constant trumpeting that it is "The Pinnacle of Motor Sports."

Can Am was perhaps best at allowing "run what you brung" racing. If some fool from Texas wanted to bolt a barn door to the back of his race car and use it as an air brake, fine. Let's see what you can do. if that same fool wants to stick a 2 speed automatic transmission into the same car and go racing, well, that was fine too.

Oddly, those Chaparrals did NOT blow away the competition. They were competitive but not dominant.

On the other hand, the active suspension cars Williams developed DID dominate and that's the difference. Competition? Sure, everybody's fine with that. Domination like Ferrari and Schumacher, Brawn for one year, and Red Bull for 4 years in a row? Not so much.

Finding the line between innovation and good racing that people will actually pay to watch? That's the hard part. I would be happy to see variable valve control and active suspensions allowed. But I am not happy to see one team be consistently a second a lap faster than the rest of the field. To me, it's just as boring watching Michael winning every race as it is seeing Jenson winning every race or Sebastien winning every race.

Oddly, I was fine with Mika winning every race. We race fans are a strange lot....... :wtf:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

ojlopez

I believe there should be more freedom, like FRIC and mass dampers but not things like active suspensions that take away driver skill.