2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Lotus, on the other hand, is going from Renault to Mercedes for the 2015 season, with a team engineer revealing the extent of the problem to Auto Motor und Sport by revealing the switch "gives us 85 horse power more and 18 kilograms less".
Christian Horner has confirmed that Red Bull's engine supplier Renault is now working with Mario Illien.

"It is great that Renault are now working with Ilmor," Horner, boss of Renault's works team Red Bull, is quoted by the French magazine Auto Hebdo.

"Mario comes with a lot of experience and is able to look at the problems with fresh eyes and perspective."

Horner also said Red Bull is playing an active role in helping Renault to chase down dominant Mercedes.

"I'm talking about modelling, simulation, optimisation of air flow, things like that -- areas where we have some experience and we can help," he revealed.

lio007

According to AMuS: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 29184.html

"Small" changes for 2015:
- Each driver may only use 4 PU’s (it doesn’t matter if there will be more or less than 20 races)
- Ferrari and Renault are allowed to use the whole 32 Token (if they can’t finish til 28th Feb they are allowed to use the rest during the season)

All Team officials agreed for new engine regulations in 2016. Bernie wants more powered, cheaper engines but based on the current concept. Target 1000 PS. Maybe the fuel flow limit will be dropped.
The FIA wants max. costs for the PU’s: 10 Mio. €

With the new regulations in 2016 the token-system for development will be dropped.
Renault’s, Ferrari’s, Honda’s and Mercedes’ engine chiefs got a deadline until the end of January to create a List of PU-parts (e.g. battery,…) that could be standardized like the ECU to decrease costs.

diffuser

Yep ... http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/45337/ ... -unit-2015 omnicourse reporting the same thing!

Harsha

I don't get it no matter how much BHP the engine produces its still has to pass via turbo which means sound will be less.
and thanks BE when some parts can make difference you are standardizing them.

toraabe

I think that Mercedes will still have an advantage because of better fuel economy. Hence lower start weight.
lio007 wrote:According to AMuS: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 29184.html

"Small" changes for 2015:
- Each driver may only use 4 PU’s (it doesn’t matter if there will be more or less than 20 races)
- Ferrari and Renault are allowed to use the whole 32 Token (if they can’t finish til 28th Feb they are allowed to use the rest during the season)

All Team officials agreed for new engine regulations in 2016. Bernie wants more powered, cheaper engines but based on the current concept. Target 1000 PS. Maybe the fuel flow limit will be dropped.
The FIA wants max. costs for the PU’s: 10 Mio. €

With the new regulations in 2016 the token-system for development will be dropped.
Renault’s, Ferrari’s, Honda’s and Mercedes’ engine chiefs got a deadline until the end of January to create a List of PU-parts (e.g. battery,…) that could be standardized like the ECU to decrease costs.

Juzh

Maybe there is still hope.

Mesteño

It surprises me Mercedes agreed with that.

FW17

Harsha wrote:I don't get it no matter how much BHP the engine produces its still has to pass via turbo which means sound will be less.

Sound does not matter if the engines are 1000hp+ unlike todays 600hp

Vary

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Harsha wrote:I don't get it no matter how much BHP the engine produces its still has to pass via turbo which means sound will be less.

Actually, the combined power (ICE +ERS) is near 900hp, something lower (870/880)

Blanchimont

900 horses combined? No, not under the current regulations!

Just read the last 480 pages and you'll find out why. :wink:
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Vary

Blanchimont wrote:900 horses combined? No, not under the current regulations!

Just read the last 480 pages and you'll find out why. :wink:
I don't know if i can post a link, but if you read eng. Benzing's blog (it's in italian) there are some calcs made from both real dyno datas and max speed from races

frosty125

If tokens are allowed to be used during the year if they have not been used up by the 28th Where does Honda stand they do not have a homoligated engine to start with?

wuzak

Vary wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:

Actually, the combined power (ICE +ERS) is near 900hp, something lower (870/880)
If you believe the rumours, Mercedes will get an extra 60+hp for next season which will absolutely put them in teh range of 870-890hp combined.

Fuel flow rate doesn't need to be dropped, just tweaked. Then they can drop the fuel race limit. Stop the bitching and moaning about fuel saving (not that it was any more prevalent than in 2013 with the V8s).

xpensive

wuzak wrote: ...
If you believe the rumours, Mercedes will get an extra 60+hp for next season which will absolutely put them in teh range of 870-890hp combined.
Yeah right, 720 Hp from 27.8 g/sec, like a 45% thermal efficiency, it's the Nobel prize right there.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wuzak

xpensive wrote:
wuzak wrote: ...
Yeah right, 720 Hp from 27.8 g/sec, like a 45% thermal efficiency, it's the Nobel prize right there.
It might be a rumour spread by Mercedes to spook the opposition.

In the 1950s Coventry Climax dumped a V8 they were developing for the 2.5l formula because they had heard the power levels of Ferrari's V6. Of course Ferrari's power levels weren't entirely 100% true....