The greatest ever racing engineers thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

The greatest ever racing engineers thread

Mauro Forghieri will always be at the top for me, how he single-handed saved the Scuderia in 1974 was and is unprecedented.

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Sebp

Re: The greatest ever racing engineers thread

Colin Chapman wrote:If you're not winning you're not trying.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

RA168E

Does this pertain only to formula 1 engineers? There are several other racing engineers that i think are right up there with their brilliance.

Jersey Tom

xpensive wrote:Mauro Forghieri will always be at the top for me, how he single-handed saved the Scuderia in 1974 was and is unprecedented.

http://www.f1journal.com/05-008/1974-1/74_11.jpg
Former coworker of mine had some good stories about ingegnere Forgieri. I think maybe back when Goodyear was first getting into radial F1 tires. Lot of good stories from the 60's through 80's in F1 in general!

But to the question.. I dunno, man. I don't even know how you'd gauge it. Lot of really talented race engineers in a lot of series who are very happy to work outside of the limelight.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

RA168E

This is true, but im thinking of old Smokey Yunick from the 60s and 70s nascar and trans am days..His 7/8ths chevelle that he raced was an amazing piece of engineering, his Trans Am Camaro with the roll cage filled with extra fuel so they could for longer stints..and i do believe he was the one that he invented the vent tube for refueling, he was saving several SECONDS in the pits during races by having that vent so they could get more fuel in his cars. He was known for his cheating, but he had a lot of brilliant innovations.

Greg Locock

The truth about the 7/8 Chevelle

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2013 ... -chevelle/

Nice story, load of old cobblers.

Be that as it may, I'm not even sure what a racing engineer is .

hpras

He did come up with the 2 inch "fuel line" that had a couple coils in it and held an extra couple gallons. All legal to the rules of the day. Really, it's all about cheating as far away from the line as you can get away with.
Greg Locock wrote:The truth about the 7/8 Chevelle

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2013 ... -chevelle/

Nice story, load of old cobblers.

Be that as it may, I'm not even sure what a racing engineer is .

J.A.W.

& there is the great engineer/driver combination in one man too, like say, Jack Brabham & Bruce McLaren.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

xpensive

RA168E wrote:Does this pertain only to formula 1 engineers? There are several other racing engineers that i think are right up there with their brilliance.
The thread says "racing engineers", so go for it Hondaman.

donskar

xpensive wrote:Mauro Forghieri will always be at the top for me, how he single-handed saved the Scuderia in 1974 was and is unprecedented.

http://www.f1journal.com/05-008/1974-1/74_11.jpg
100% agreement from me. Forghieri, IMHO, had a wider range of design skills than any other you can name -- chassis, aero (for his day), engine, transmission. He could design a complete car, not just a tub or a transmission -- the whole thing. Also, a fiery, passionate, effective leader. And his book about his time at Ferrari is VERY good.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive

donskar wrote: ...
100% agreement from me. Forghieri, IMHO, had a wider range of design skills than any other you can name -- chassis, aero (for his day), engine, transmission. He could design a complete car, not just a tub or a transmission -- the whole thing. Also, a fiery, passionate, effective leader. And his book about his time at Ferrari is VERY good.
The 1970 flat 12, which ran for a decade, and the gorgeous1975 312T stands out in my book. But also remember that he was very close to discover ground-effect with the 312PB and "312 B3 Spazzaneve" in 1972, all he had needed was a diffuser really.

donskar

xpensive wrote:
donskar wrote: ...
The 1970 flat 12, which ran for a decade, and the gorgeous1975 312T stands out in my book. But also remember that he was very close to discover ground-effect with the 312PB and "312 B3 Spazzaneve" in 1972, all he had needed was a diffuser really.
And some of his greatest work was done pretty much alone, while in exile in the farmhouse.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

fausto cedros

Colin chapman has been the greatest to me. But i have something for Gordon Murray,Rudolf UlenHaut and Giorgio Stirano. Just personal reasons.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

xpensive

Still, John Barnard proved to be the most influential F1 engineer of the 80s and 90s to my mind, carbon-fiber tub, canard-wings,
a purpose-designed turbo-engine, semi-automatic gearbox, suspension flexures and what have you.

If the Ferrari 640/641 had not had such a dog of an engine, it would have made Senna's and McLaren's life rather miserable;

-Felix-

So are we talking about design engineers rather than race engineers? Because Colin Chapman was both, as was Mauro Forghieri, but John Barnard and Gordon Murray were just design engineers I thought..