Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
rohit1594

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

mikeerfol wrote:Any ideas on what this is?

https://twitter.com/andihaupt1/status/5 ... 2000723968
Temperature reader perhaps?

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

I don't know, but that's interesting...

SectorOne

I keep looking at images of this car and it´s just staggering what a transformation Mclaren has done.
The cokebottle is nothing short of insanity.

Here´s a quick image of the Macca and Ferrari cokebottles.

as you can see by the floor of the Mclaren expanding the angles are not perfect but should give a general idea of the main differences.
I think in a proper comparison the MClaren pods will follow the Ferrari pods until the UPS logo then taper inwards rapidly.
Last edited by SectorOne on 31 Jan 2015, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ringo

The only concern i have with the sidepods is that the shape at the rear, where it pinches in dratically toward the gearbox was done with the blown exhuast in mind at the time. The blown exhaust was better able to permit such a sharp transition of bodywork without much eddies forming off the back of the side pod.
what you will find is that when the blown exhausts were banned redbull eased a bit on this section of the sidepods and made it more smooth and less agressive Because of the lower energy of the air flow with the lack of entrainement from the exhausts.
So seeing this agressive shaping is somewhat interesting. lets see how well the car works. The car looks fantastic but i would say the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The ferrari and the others have a more safer bet with their sidepod shape. Its not as agresive but it has a wider margin for performance.
For Sure!!

Thunder

Closer Look at the McLaren Rims, that has to do until tomorrow.

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

SectorOne wrote:I keep looking at images of this car and it´s just staggering what a transformation Mclaren has done.

http://i.imgur.com/vF6lw4T.jpg

as you can see by the floor of the Mclaren expanding the angles are not perfect but should give a general idea of the main differences.
I think in a proper comparison the MClaren pods will follow the Ferrari pods until the UPS logo then taper inwards rapidly.
This is something good or bad for Mclaren judging by an aerodynamic point of view?

matt_s
matt_s

I'm sure it's not just the width and return curve of the pods from the plan view that's important. It's how the air is getting to those sections from the front of the pods/bargeboards/winglets and from the undercut. The MP430 looks like it has a more aggressive undercut than the SF15F

the EDGE
the EDGE

Scarbs on MP4-30 with TRE

http://youtu.be/Bwe7Egug9gc

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

question btw, as i've never took the effort of looking into this 'stuff' - is there a logical / pre-ordaned 'order' on which
the trucks must park? Are the cars parked right behind the other side of the garage? how does that work?
- i know it's offtopic, i just don't think its a new thread/topic worthy, so i'll fill it in here -
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mep

That is clearly to get an idea of the surface roughness. I am just not sure what they use if for. It might be for aero/CFD correlation, where it affects the boundary layer. Or the more obvious: tire grip.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

mep wrote:

That is clearly to get an idea of the surface roughness. I am just not sure what they use if for. It might be for aero/CFD correlation, where it affects the boundary layer. Or the more obvious: tire grip.
just a thought; might use it and scan it in a 3D-scanner to read the surface and then update the 'track' model they have for simulations on tire wear and tire effects.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Manoah2u wrote:
mep wrote:

just a thought; might use it and scan it in a 3D-scanner to read the surface and then update the 'track' model they have for simulations on tire wear and tire effects.
Pretty much that. If they did it about 10 places in each sector they would get a much accurate tyre simulation in the simulator and that would make their ability to manage the tyres correctly much better and into 2015 they may even be able to make their tyres last an extra 2 or 3 laps over the rest on the same pace, but in return it will leave the tyres extra material for the drivers to play with and push that extra tenth to tenth and a half extra per lap over a stint. If this is true over the season, ill be one happy man.

Moose
Moose

SectorOne wrote:I keep looking at images of this car and it´s just staggering what a transformation Mclaren has done.

http://i.imgur.com/vF6lw4T.jpg

This image shows the McLaren as substantially wider than the Ferrari, and severely distorts the reality of how tight it is.

SectorOne

Moose wrote:This image shows the McLaren as substantially wider than the Ferrari, and severely distorts the reality of how tight it is.
I´m not so sure about that, sure it´s probably a bit wider but not substantially.

It´s also worth pointing out that the Mclaren images are heavily skewed.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"