Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mith

Re: Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

RedBull has finally passed all crashtests.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117529

Leon
Leon

Juzh wrote:
Leon wrote:hope to see shorter nose RB11 a-la Mercedes, Lotus or at least Williams.
Why?
mith wrote:RedBull has finally passed all crashtests.
:roll: :mrgreen:
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

Juzh

Leon wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Leon wrote:hope to see shorter nose RB11 a-la Mercedes, Lotus or at least Williams.
Why?
mith wrote:RedBull has finally passed all crashtests.
:roll: :mrgreen:
Relevant how?
I meant from a performance standpoint. Why would you prefer short nose? Any other reason other than a personal preference?
I'm asking because the way you put it is as though a shorter nose is de facto a better solution. In which case I ask you to present evidence or some sort of theory at least.

fawe4
fawe4

Juzh wrote: Relevant how?
I meant from a performance standpoint. Why would you prefer short nose? Any other reason other than a personal preference?
I'm asking because the way you put it is as though a shorter nose is de facto a better solution. In which case I ask you to present evidence or some sort of theory at least.
Aw, don't be a dick. He prefers a shorter nose, no need being so hostile about it. :lol:

Juzh

fawe4 wrote:
Aw, don't be a dick. He prefers a shorter nose, no need being so hostile about it. :lol:
It was a genuine question.

Moose
Moose

fawe4 wrote:
There's no dickishness here. This is a technical forum, and someone asked for a technical explanation of a view point. That's exactly the behaviour that should be encouraged.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Without taking any aero into account, shorter nose probably is lighter?

Moose
Moose

NoDivergence wrote:Without taking any aero into account, shorter nose probably is lighter?
I wouldn't be so sure of that - a shorter nose needs to be stronger in order to pass the crash test. It probably involves more internal structure. I wouldn't want to bet on whether that, offsets the weight saving in being lower volume or not.

poolboy67

NoDivergence wrote:Without taking any aero into account, shorter nose probably is lighter?
not necessarily. who knows, a shorter nose may even be heavier because it has less length available for decelerating the car upon an impact.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

thisisatest
thisisatest

Not about the RB11 specifically but answering questions posted above,
from Richland F1:

"The longer nose on the Force India is advantageous for weight saving as the longer crash structure means that energy has a longer time to dissipate, allowing the composite engineers to use less material. In comparison to the Williams, the shorter nose solution is very good aerodynamically as its design emulates that of more recent years and is overall much higher up, so the aerostructures are more familiar to work with. However the shorter crumple zone means that as much as a few kilograms of additional material must have been added to pass the crash tests. "

[URL http://richlandf1.com/?p=32469 /URL]

ringo

I don't see how it's a few kilograms. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's carbon fiber after all.
For Sure!!

thisisatest
thisisatest

I agree. I mean, even one kilo is a lot for that. But it's entirely possible they needed some titanium or other metal reinforcement or containment, who knows, just speculation.
The gist of it is that a shorter nose is very likely heavier, not lighter.

PlatinumZealot

Same nose as last year basically....
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A duplicate2

PlatinumZealot wrote:Same nose as last year basically....
Considering the fact that, RBR almost stopped developing the car after Singapore GP, they better have done considerable changes to their car to offset power difference in PU, as nothing suggests that Renault would have equaled Merc on PU performance. Although PU was a major reason making them lag behind, but lack of development last season, should only point to major overhaul in their overall new car design. If not, then essentially they stood still 6 months back on car development, only waiting for PU development. That would be quite disappointing. They should know that, in second half of last year, it was Williams that was second best car.

Leon
Leon

I'll draw some sketches to explain my point of view
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho