Spatial awereness

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Spatial awereness

Lastly, here's a video showing how cool Neil Armstrong was under pressure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Q_9RlJTfg
This VTOL test vehicle was based on the British 'flying bedstead' used to develop the Harrier eventually.
The loss of control was because the computer system was not capable of full autonomous flight at the time.

Neil Armstrong had fast reflexes which he used to eject as the platform passed the safe angle of flight.
I do not think this required much spatial awareness.

strad

Spatial awareness has to do with awareness of what's going on around you and I just don't see what it has to do with aerodynamics or chassis or tires. but carry on I just wondered where the OP drew a connection.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bdr529

strad wrote:Spatial awareness has to do with awareness of what's going on around you and I just don't see what it has to do with aerodynamics or chassis or tires. but carry on I just wondered where the OP drew a connection.
That falls under Topic Awareness

Is anyone even aware the word awareness is spelt incorrectly in the title " Spatial awereness" ?

strad

I noticed and fixed it in my reply and I'm not trying to argue I'm just baffled as to the relevance to the topic of Aerodynamics, chassis and tyres...
I suppose you could say that the tires blocking your view impinge upon your awareness of things and cars around you. That because the mirrors are so small so as to be more aerodynamic impinge on your awareness to the rear. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

olefud
olefud

strad wrote:Spatial awareness has to do with awareness of what's going on around you and I just don't see what it has to do with aerodynamics or chassis or tires. but carry on I just wondered where the OP drew a connection.
Not disagreeing but I don’t see it as a real time deal. We (or at least I) construct a model in my mind of what’s going on around us and update it as various sensory inputs -tires, chassis etc.- become available. It’s a multiplexing thing. In a car the seat of the pants –mostly inner ear but also bodily pressure changes- are valid. Sight, the most effective spatial sense, is fairly severely restricted in a F-1 car by helmet-cockpit shrouding, cockpit and speed. Fortunately knowing the track position, line and intruders in the mirror provide sufficient input. That and enhanced speed and sensitivity relative to these inputs. As I recall some drivers of old were able to read the fine print on moving 78 RPM records (look them up).

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Time is - in fact - a crucial dimension in space..

The ability to predict probable outcomes & correctly react in a timely, effective response,
..without overtly conscious thought, as if - 'reflexive' - is an attribute of skilled exponents..

This requires an awareness of the machine & its reactions to inputs via its "Aerodynamics, Chassis & Tyres"..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

strad

fair enough
Sir Stirling Moss

riff_raff
riff_raff

Spatial awareness is a huge consideration for what a race driver does on the track. An understanding of how his car reacts aerodynamically to local conditions and also how the aerodynamics of nearby cars will affect his car is very important. When driving very close to other cars, a driver also needs to have a good understanding of the traction limits of his tires, both when new and when worn.

Lastly, a driver will always go faster on a track they have experience on. Where they have memorized the braking points and fastest way around every corner. Memory of a track layout is a form of spatial awareness that allows a driver to know what braking or steering inputs he will need to make long before he can see that part of the circuit.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

autogyro
autogyro

Are we drifting into motor reflex triggered by memory and training?

Spatial awareness is surely an ability we all have but some more than others.
Can it be improved and how?

As a pilot I am well aware of how disorientated you can become in bad weather and poor visibility.
You are taught to rely on instruments and to discount your sensory inputs.
There is a small percentage of this in driving a racing car.
F1 drivers corner much faster than their senses would tell them is possible for a start.
Operating a machine at a far higher level than your senses tell you is surely an aspect of a highly developed spatial awareness.
Or is it as James Hunt said just 'big balls'.
I need to know whether we are at a technical level today where autonomous operation of ground and air vehicles can be as efficient at the leading edge as with a well skilled human driver or pilot.
It is a very important issue.

garygph
garygph

A very good training ground for race drivers would be an hour a day or so in the following enviroment :shock:

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

autogyro wrote:Are we drifting into motor reflex triggered by memory and training?

Spatial awareness is surely an ability we all have but some more than others.
Can it be improved and how?

As a pilot I am well aware of how disorientated you can become in bad weather and poor visibility.
You are taught to rely on instruments and to discount your sensory inputs.
There is a small percentage of this in driving a racing car.
F1 drivers corner much faster than their senses would tell them is possible for a start.
Operating a machine at a far higher level than your senses tell you is surely an aspect of a highly developed spatial awareness.
Or is it as James Hunt said just 'big balls'.
I need to know whether we are at a technical level today where autonomous operation of ground and air vehicles can be as efficient at the leading edge as with a well skilled human driver or pilot.
It is a very important issue.

Well A-G, research into how insects use proprioception - is being transferred to robotics..

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/flying-bee- ... stabilise/
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

autogyro
autogyro

Interesting J.A.W

Input from the sensual organs definitely gives living things an advantage over robotics at present though.
There is a long way to go to improve artificial sensors.

I also believe that variations in gravity also affect the ability of living things to make sense of their environment and their place in it.
There is some very interesting research going on about the Moon and its place in the creation of life on Earth, the life cycle of plants and animals and the affect that the Moons gravity and perhaps other forces has on the balance of life on our planet.

Some of this research even points to the Moon being artificially made and that without it there would be no plate tectonics and no life on Earth.
The Moons gravity definitely has a major affect on the routine actions of many life forms including their spatial awareness.

riff_raff
riff_raff

JAW,

Your comment about the differences between how robots and humans apply their spatial awareness capabilities is interesting. The current generation of autonomous systems do not have the same ability as humans to process and apply sensory inputs under unanticipated conditions. Humans can think on their feet, while autonomous systems do not have much ability in this regard. Additionally, the spatial awareness capability of a human can be greatly enhanced by inputs from electronic sensor systems. While the spatial awareness capabilities of well designed autonomous systems usually don't benefit much from human inputs unless there is some limitation in the design of the autonomous system.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"