Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

Looks really cool this one, super tight butt, extremely small sidepod inlets and an awesome practice-livery.

Not so sure about the engine intake, it has another hole just below it making the total area actually not that far from the giant STR cannon. Honestly every damn car this year looks really solid and hopefully that translates into an insane season.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dero

zztopless wrote:
Cuky wrote:If I see correctly they now have new steering wheel with new LCD display integrated into it.
I think they're all OLED (which makes sense given the weight advantage), but yeah, I was hoping the limitation on communications to drivers would force all Red Bull and the other's that hadn't yet switched to do so.
They are traditional backlit LCD's.
Here is the product description: http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... uct/PCU-8D

cheers Stefan

Mesteño

Sidepods look a little bit higher towards the centre or is it the angle?

i70q7m7ghw

Can anyone get my a picture of the steering wheel?

zztopless

dero wrote:
zztopless wrote:
Cuky wrote:If I see correctly they now have new steering wheel with new LCD display integrated into it.
I think they're all OLED (which makes sense given the weight advantage), but yeah, I was hoping the limitation on communications to drivers would force all Red Bull and the other's that hadn't yet switched to do so.
They are traditional backlit LCD's.
Here is the product description: http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... uct/PCU-8D

cheers Stefan
I'm pretty sure all teams using the new display were using OLED panels last year - http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/20 ... ing-wheel/ . I imagine the product they sell to the public needs to be in the realms of affordability (relative to F1 parts anyway), whereas for F1, you where weight is king - you would think OLED wins out. Given the screens seem to be mostly used for displaying white/light coloured text and graphics on a black/dark background, inherent contrast advantage of OLED would be well suited to being as easy to read as possible.

Having said that, LCD is of course more than capable and perhaps the extra weight isn't an issue for some teams (although given negligible difference in cost, in the context of a team's budget and the fact that it's going to be a bespoke part either way, I don't see why you wouldn't go for the slimmer, lighter easier to read screen).

stefan_

2015 Winter testing | Session 1, Day 1 - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (01.02.2015)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

FrukostScones

so the one without the bulb I guess

generall RB nose shpe reminds me of Merc's last year
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dero

zztopless wrote: I'm pretty sure all teams using the new display were using OLED panels last year - http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/20 ... ing-wheel/ . I imagine the product they sell to the public needs to be in the realms of affordability (relative to F1 parts anyway), whereas for F1, you where weight is king - you would think OLED wins out.
I was under the impression that this is a standardized part and therefore weight is not an issue because it's the same for everyone. Maybe i'm wrong.

Regarding the unit cost: I don't know in which volume they are selling these, but don't forget that NRE costs may be a huge part and therefore it would be cheaper (for regular customers) to just sell one specification.

cheers Stefan

ecapox

Piola said he can't draw the car because of its livery! :shock:

Well played Red Bull. Well played. =D> =D>

charlex

Re: R: Red Bull RB11 Renault

ecapox wrote:Piola said he can't draw the car because of its livery! :shock:

Well played Red Bull. Well played. =D> =D>
lol !

Sevach

FrukostScones

so Red Bull copies Merc shapes?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Blackout

? The Rb10 was the first car with that kind of inlets last year and many cars copied them, including Merc

McMrocks

FrukostScones wrote:so Red Bull copies Merc shapes?
Could you please clarify what you're talking about?