MGU-K Seals

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
riff_raff
riff_raff

Re: MGU-K Seals

Looking at the picture provided what seems a bit unusual is the oil flow to the shaft is radially inward. Due to the high rpm of the shaft this would seem a bit strange since the oil flow would have to work against the CF forces. Maybe it has to do with the stator laminates and windings needing more cooling than the PM materials used in the rotor.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

marcush.
marcush.

to go sealless (like the flywheel kers Systems )seems to be the correct path here.Of course you can develop seals to get within manageable leakage Levels but with the Budgets inolved I´d go and get rid of the Problem itself.

Juzh

Facts Only wrote:Renault, Merc and Ferrari have spent 6 years designing, developing, building and racing KERS units
Didn't renault let their customers design and run their own kers systems in the past? I remember renault talking about a steep learning curves coming into the 2014 season as they had no experience with ERS systems of their own at all. I am 100% sure RB used their own system, as did lotus. Caterham was reported to use RB designs (i remember this because it was put under scrutiny as to why would one choose RB system which at the time was unreliable to say the least).

riff_raff
riff_raff

marcush. wrote:to go sealless (like the flywheel kers Systems )seems to be the correct path here.Of course you can develop seals to get within manageable leakage Levels but with the Budgets inolved I´d go and get rid of the Problem itself.
The PM materials used in the rotor and the laminates and conductors used in the stator all require fairly intensive liquid cooling, and oil is the best coolant choice when everything is considered. Obviously no dynamic seals are required for the cooling circuit of the non-rotating stator. But dynamic seals are necessary for the cooling circuit of the spinning rotor assembly.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"