Bernie's gone mad - two-tier F1 system

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Miguel
Miguel

Re: Bernie's gone mad - two-tier F1 system

My impression is that Bernie feels the real danger of finding himself with only 16 racing cars at some point next year, and thus in breach of contract, and then all hell could well break loose. Unless rules or wealth distribution or global economy change soon, that's bound to happen sooner rather than later. Remember how Bernie was somewhat pacifying last year at the USGP, then only to forget his words a week later in Brazil. He'd obviously prefer 3cars/team instead of reducing his margins.

Also bear in mind we'd be on 16 cars already if anyone with moral and power vetoed the fact that someone on the grid has a 4-car team that fires the 3rd or 4th driver if they fight the A-team when they're not supposed to.

And finally, Bernie should realise he has a problem if the third best team last year only managed to add Rexona and maybe a minor sponsor more. Or when McLaren gets a new exciting engine partner and a top driver, and decides not to terribly undersell its space on the car... for the second year in a row. It is very possible that Renault made more money out of sponsorship in 2005 than perhaps any non-Ferrari team in 2015.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Leo West
Leo West

donskar wrote:The real "race" in F1 is this: the race to see who will die first -- F1 or Bernie.
Never turn your back on the foundation that made something successful. F1 was build one and draw 100's of thousands of people to tracks by the garagiste teams True blue blood racing people who could challenge the mighty with little more than passion and enthusiasm. Today F1 is ruled by corporatism with duller than the Post Office management. Drinking € 5000 bottles of wine and having young girls with oversize boobs sitting on a 80 year old's lap is not bringing more teams and more possible winners to the grid. It is now only Mercedes and Ferrari that can survive/sustain this delusion.

The rules should be short and sweet. Something like : the flag drops at 14H00 on Sunday. You have 150 liters of fuel. See you there. NB there will be a qualifying session the day before the race between 15H00 - 16H00, the fastest 40 cars qualify for the race . Bring your own crash helmets, beer and sandwiches. There will be a cash beer and sausage tent behind the paddock.

How can it be feasible when a team employs 700 people , must have 20 people to change tires, 100K steering wheels , halve a billion budget, only 2 or 3 can win a race and the engines sounds like lawnmowers? F1 is not a circus, it is a stupid joke with blown egos and self appointed celebs. Guess that why its called F1 and not NASCAR.

Get rid of the FIA asap.

Leo West
Leo West

Jonnycraig wrote:
SectorOne wrote: Why is that people think different regulations will stop one team from dominating the sport?
It may very well not, but Ecclestone needs something to market and so doesn't have too many options.
SectorOne wrote: I also agree....that whole Senna vs Prost thing simply could not be marketed because the two Hondas were so far up the road...[/irony]
You aren't seriously trying to compare Hamilton & Rosberg to Senna & Prost? :shock:
If all F1 fans stop paying PAY TV and you will see Ecclestone running around like a headless chicken.

MOWOG

If all F1 fans stop paying PAY TV and you will see Ecclestone running around like a headless chicken.
I would gladly pay to see THAT! :lol: 8)
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Cuky

Richard St. Clair-Quentin, ex-Caterham commercial manager has posted a picture on his twitter showing a letter that Bernie Ecclestone has sent to then team principal Cyril Abiteboul to "remind" him who is to get grid passes in race weekends:

Text of the letter:
Dear Cyril

Please be reminded that where possible, grid access passes should be used for celebrities or people of note or as always, really glamorous ladies.

This is not so much a sporting matter but part of the show business of Formula One.

Best wishes

Bernie

langwadt
langwadt

Cuky wrote:Richard St. Clair-Quentin, ex-Caterham commercial manager has posted a picture on his twitter showing a letter that Bernie Ecclestone has sent to then team principal Cyril Abiteboul to "remind" him who is to get grid passes in race weekends:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_OmQVbUwAASpE0.jpg:large

Text of the letter:
Dear Cyril

Please be reminded that where possible, grid access passes should be used for celebrities or people of note or as always, really glamorous ladies.

This is not so much a sporting matter but part of the show business of Formula One.

Best wishes

Bernie
seems like common sense, like it or no celebrities and glamorous ladies is a big part of what makes F1 the big sport it is

SilverArrow10

Come on..... its backwards, old fashioned and out of touch. Exactly everything Bernie is, you really telling me people watch F1 for the celebrities in the paddock. I for one could not give a damn.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

My biggest annoyance of F1 coverage is when they cut to celebrities in the garages instead of focusing on the racetrack.

MOWOG

Aww, c'mon. Don't you get all jiggy when you see the Black Eyed Peas? I mean, how could you not? :lol:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

SectorOne

Cuky wrote:Richard St. Clair-Quentin, ex-Caterham commercial manager has posted a picture on his twitter showing a letter that Bernie Ecclestone has sent to then team principal Cyril Abiteboul to "remind" him who is to get grid passes in race weekends:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_OmQVbUwAASpE0.jpg:large

Text of the letter:
Dear Cyril

Best wishes

Bernie
Wasn´t there some kind of rumor going around that Bernie hates his guts? Same as Parr?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

langwadt
langwadt

SilverArrow10 wrote:Come on..... its backwards, old fashioned and out of touch. Exactly everything Bernie is, you really telling me people watch F1 for the celebrities in the paddock. I for one could not give a damn.

it maybe backwards, old fashioned and out of touch - to say it out loud. but without the aura of celebrities and glamorous ladies there wouldn't be a Formula1

bdr529

SilverArrow10 wrote:Come on..... its backwards, old fashioned and out of touch. Exactly everything Bernie is, you really telling me people watch F1 for the celebrities in the paddock. I for one could not give a damn.
The celebrities aren't there for the benefit of F1 fans, Bernie just want's the extended fan base that celebrities bring with them and in this day and age their need to tweet everything they do, this is good publicity for Bernie and it's free