Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
turbof1

Re: Manor F1 Team 2015

SidSidney wrote:
turbof1 wrote:That kind of debt vs. the total activa/passiva is hardly an issue. Having debt is a standard tool for companies, especially due financial leverage, and is often and widely employed.
Sure, that is (usually) true, but what is also true is thtat those debts are locked to assets i.e., cash balances, on which the bank has the first call. I was running a much more profitable $100m turnover software business in Britain between 2007-10 and I have direct personal experience of how that process works... Anyway, my point is: how does that picture square with taking on a cash sinkhole like an F1 team?
turbof1 wrote:Losses are to be expected. The company has only started in 2009; you can't expect that a new supplier on highly dominated and saturated market like the British Energy Market (90% of it is in hands of the Big Six, OVO is not one of them) to make profits the first few years. The long term is more important here, and it looks like OVO is hitting the targets: steadily decreasing losses the first few years, then make profit.
Sure, you can see the signs of improvement as they amortise overheads through expanded sales volume. Again though: how does that picture square with taking on an F1 team? If big multinationals look twice at funding McLaren, how does a plucky barely-profitable low margin early stager think they can do it?

My answer: on the cheap and by being optimistic. But those days are long gone. It will be sunshine and glory for a few months then back to the same old moans about cost and no sponsors.
Oh but running a F1 team never will make sense in my eyes. I'm not going to argument that; I just believe OVO is capital-wise able to do so.

It's not an usual construction from which OVO is funding the team though. Looks like Fitzpatrick set up a structure where he personally is responsible, but gets the effective funds out of ovo. Looks like that he wants to keep ovo out of it when it does go wrong.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

Re: Manor F1 Team 2015

turbof1 wrote:
Richard wrote:
SidSidney wrote:...
The team have said Fitzpatrick is involved in a personal capacity. There is no involvement from OVO.
A direct quote from Fitzpatrick himself:
"For a long time I had an ambition to own an F1 team, I was hoping Ovo Energy would be successful enough to own a team, but I didn't expect it to be in 2015."
It's not 100% certain he is stating there that Ovo Energy is involved, but it does look like he is very much insinuating it.
That quote could mean he didn't expect OVO to make him wealthy enough to own an F1 team. Meanwhile from Sky:
It is understood Fitzpatrick, a life-long F1 fan who has been talking to the team since they entered administration last October, is financing the deal through personal investment and that Ovo is not involved

Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if they fill some empty sponsorship space with an OVO logo and use the images in their marketing.
Vijay Malaya owns Force India UB Group / USL does not have anything to with it still you see all UB Group and USL brands on the car.

So why wouldn't Fitzpatrick put OVO on the car? isn't he the promoter of ovo?

Nikkolaz

Re: Manor Marussia F1 Team 2015

Manor has announced on their facebook account that they've passed the crash tests.

turbof1

So that was the last obstacle to reach the season opener.

I guess that they'll also pick up their price money at the check in?
#AeroFrodo

mkable1370

Nikkolaz wrote:Manor has announced on their facebook account that they've passed the crash tests.

lebesset

not clear about the PU deal , seems that it will be the 2014 as the 2015 won't fit
but will that have been modified using some tokens , or will it be as last season ?
presumably it will be as ferrari has decided !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

mf2929

i thought ferrari will use the revival of Manor as their test field for their 2015 engine.. is there any similiarities between that 'end-season' 2014 engine with the 2015 engine?
"as long as I know that I'm giving 100% and I'm happy with my driving then I'm happy. If those aspects are true and it's not enough, then it's not enough."

FW17

I am quiet sure the 2015 Ferrari engine does not have the intercooler inside the V of the cylinders

Facts Only

Justin King is a pretty astute business man, so I suspect that we may not see a 'proper' new Manor/Fitzpatrick/OVO F1 car until 2017.

2015: They are consigned to the back of the grid by an old PU and interim car.
2016: They have a very limited budget and the need to rebuild their infrastructure to make a new car so again it will likely be back of the grid (or battling with Haas)
2017: New Rules

So I think they may well write off both 2015 AND 2016 as consolidation, learning and rebuilding years and prepare their proper assault for the new rules (wider tyres and such) in 2017. If they get started now, that's 2 years development time and could allow them to jump up onto the back of the grid as Sauber/Haas/TR/FIF1 will be fighting in 2016 and concentrating resource their as well as 2017 car.
Manors logic may be "if we're going to finish last lets save the money for 2017 when we have a better chance"

I think it may depend on Haas though, in 2015 Manor are guaranteed 10th place and the column 1 prize money, in 2016 they may have to fight Haas to maintain 10th place (although they will remain a column 1 team). So may need to spend some money on that car.

Just my thoughts anyway.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Jonnycraig

Manor will have to produce an all new car for 2016, there is no way they will get an exemption to continue with the 14/15 hybrid. Equally they will want to be ahead of Haas if at all possible so will more likely have their own car running sometime later this season in my opinion.

Facts Only

Jonnycraig wrote:Manor will have to produce an all new car for 2016, there is no way they will get an exemption to continue with the 14/15 hybrid. Equally they will want to be ahead of Haas if at all possible so will more likely have their own car running sometime later this season in my opinion.
As I understand their 2015 car is fully rules compliant (hence having to pass new crash tests), FIF1 blocked the exemption to use a 2014 car as it was, so unless the rules change dramatically for 2016 the car will still be legal.

Rebuilding your company and infrastructure and then Designing and building a new car in 6 months is just not going to happen, even 12 months will be a push.

And as said from a business perspective it makes no sense rushing to build a 2016 car when it will be completely obsolete in 2017.

I may be completely wrong but having been around the industry I strongly suspect that Autosport will have a new entry for their racing warhorse feature.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

turbof1

Jonnycraig wrote:Manor will have to produce an all new car for 2016, there is no way they will get an exemption to continue with the 14/15 hybrid. Equally they will want to be ahead of Haas if at all possible so will more likely have their own car running sometime later this season in my opinion.
HRT did it year after year with their chassis. As long as the car complies with the regulations of that year, nobody can veto against it.

For the record, the car they are prepping now will also be legal next year. Not that they will continue with it since I don't even think they can get through the 107% rule in Melbourne. Plus the chassis will be incompatible with newer Ferrari PU's, and Ferrari will not be bothered to continue producing 2014 specs.
#AeroFrodo

Moose

So far, the 2015 cars appear to be roughly 3% quicker than the 2014 cars. If that's the case, we can expect roughly a 1:27.3 for the fastest time in Q1 in Australia. With that in mind, Manor would only need to find about half a second over last year's qualifying time to get in.

WaikeCU

Moose wrote:So far, the 2015 cars appear to be roughly 3% quicker than the 2014 cars. If that's the case, we can expect roughly a 1:27.3 for the fastest time in Q1 in Australia. With that in mind, Manor would only need to find about half a second over last year's qualifying time to get in.
Yes, they appear. I believe Mercedes haven't shown anything yet. I believe they can turn up another notch. Surely when both Merc drivers will be fighting for pole position.

ChrisF1

Putting a scenario out there, If both Mercedes cars proved to be 8 tenths quicker in Quali than the 3rd place car, and Marussia were inside 107% of 3rd, but outside of 1st and 2nd, it would be somewhat daft to enforce the 107% rule.

Surely the 107% rule is only enforced to prevent backmarkers from being dangerously slow for the rest of the field - they would only actually be a problem for 2 cars, driven by two of the worlds best drivers.

Admittedly that may be a simplistic view, but I am the sort of person who would do away with blue flags...