Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Possibly hydraulic anti-roll is still in place.
Maybe the hydraulic anti roll allows the car to ride over curbs without activating the mechanical ant-roll and unsettling the car.

For anti-dive control... maybe it is similar.. The initial impulse of the car diving is taken in by the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir. Sounds OK?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

DaveW

PlatinumZealot wrote:Possibly hydraulic anti-roll is still in place.
Maybe the hydraulic anti roll allows the car to ride over curbs without activating the mechanical ant-roll and unsettling the car.

For anti-dive control... maybe it is similar.. The initial impulse of the car diving is taken in by the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir. Sounds OK?
Possibly.

Another thought: they could connect the hydraulics to a pitot tube via an hydraulic multiplier. I've no idea whether that would be practical, or even legal, but it should do the right thing.

Jolle

DaveW wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Possibly hydraulic anti-roll is still in place.

Possibly.

Another thought: they could connect the hydraulics to a pitot tube via an hydraulic multiplier. I've no idea whether that would be practical, or even legal, but it should do the right thing.
The Lotus 99T already had a system like you describe, but it's banned since 1993...
https://youtu.be/xjHNS8Jvz78

Jordan44

ringo wrote:
De Jokke wrote:To stay positive despite the horrifying strategy, at least we've finished with two cars in a very difficult race for man and machine.
Also: 4 out of 4 car finishes. So well done merc.
Now get that tyre deg in hot temps up to scratch and start dominating again :D
That problem has been with them from shumacher days, and it never left. Last year they also had the issue but it was less noticable because of the power advantage they had, but Williams came close to them a few times because their FW car had treated the tyres better.
I don't think Merc will be able to solve this problem for a while. It's in their DNA.
Last year many teams and pundits thought that Mercedes had the best tyre conservation on the grid. But that could be because they were so quick the pace drop off was hardly noticeable.

DaveW

Jolle wrote:The Lotus 99T already had a system like you describe, but it's banned since 1993...
I knew that system quite well, actually. The 99T was fully active, and (on track) the two pitot tubes were coupled and used to provide a measure of dynamic pressure. This allowed downforce and downforce distribution to be computed which were, together with loads derived from inertial measurements, subtracted from measured loads to provide estimates of road inputs. The objective was to simulate a suspension that reacted to road inputs, ignoring all else. The video showed a (typical) mechanic's "trick". Here is one showing it working properly. As you say, active suspension was banned long ago.

My suggestion was to use total pressure to compensate passively for the loss in front ride height caused by aero loads. If is legal (debatable) and practical, then it would replace FRIC. But there are other solutions.

SparkyAMG

J0rd4n wrote:
ringo wrote:
De Jokke wrote:To stay positive despite the horrifying strategy, at least we've finished with two cars in a very difficult race for man and machine.
Also: 4 out of 4 car finishes. So well done merc.
Now get that tyre deg in hot temps up to scratch and start dominating again :D
That problem has been with them from shumacher days, and it never left. Last year they also had the issue but it was less noticable because of the power advantage they had, but Williams came close to them a few times because their FW car had treated the tyres better.
I don't think Merc will be able to solve this problem for a while. It's in their DNA.
Last year many teams and pundits thought that Mercedes had the best tyre conservation on the grid. But that could be because they were so quick the pace drop off was hardly noticeable.
Mmm, I can't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure Toto (or another team member) said that they struggled for pace in Malaysia last season relative to other tracks. I think their performance this year was affected more by less efficient cooling compared to Ferrari, and slower top speeds.

The W06 made up for this in S2 but at the cost of higher tyre usage in what were already tyre melting conditions. Just a bad combination, but probably not enough to give them 2013 levels of degredation.

China is front limited so we might not get a definitive answer, but I don't think we'll see Merc struggling for tyres throughout the remainder of the season.

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

k.ko100v

this is quite interesting

F1NAC

Is this china "new wing"?edges of wing where are cascades are different painted and looks little bit different from malaysia. Also cut on mainplane is a bit different

LookBackTime

from ScarbsF1: change to the Merc outer rear wing tip too

Thunder

yep that Front Wing recieved a big overhaul

And some more Pictures
Last edited by Thunder on 09 Apr 2015, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1316

F1NAC wrote:Is this china "new wing"?edges of wing where are cascades are different painted and looks little bit different from malaysia. Also cut on mainplane is a bit different
It's a very different wing- skip back a page for a good look at the old one. The outer cascades now 'start' much earlier, whereas before the three 'main' flaps extended all the way along.

Interesting stuff.

Helios

LookBackTime

Quite clever design: the outer side (the black side) of the wing could flex more than before :)

r.t.1.n