Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1.Ru

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

James Allison wrote:Rather than sacrificing power for packaging as it had done with its first stab at the new regulations, Ferrari started to box clever and adopted a new - albeit risky - cooling layout. Allison described the new direction of his engine and chassis departments as "courageous", for if they got it wrong the long lead time for development of engine components would have left Ferrari in a similar position to 2014. Malaysia acted as the first real proof that the new concept has paid off, as Ferrari arrived in the heat of Sepang without the need to hack great holes in the rear end of the SF15-T and still ran with a clear power advantage over last year.

More power results in better fuel consumption and greater flexibility over the use of the ERS, so over the winter a significant amount of performance has been unlocked. Ferrari is confident there is plenty more to come and, with three more engine tokens to spend over the remainder of the season, its target of two wins in 2015 is looking increasingly modest.

For Full Article click here
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

evered7

So have the increase in pace come merely through repacking of the internal components or have they changed parts for increasing the performance of the engine?

Last year there were talks about the turbo being too small when compared to rivals etc, do we have any info as to how the tokens have been spent till now? Or will that info ever come out?

Great to see the renaissance of the Prancing Horse!

3jawchuck

evered7 wrote:So have the increase in pace come merely through repacking of the internal components or have they changed parts for increasing the performance of the engine?

Last year there were talks about the turbo being too small when compared to rivals etc, do we have any info as to how the tokens have been spent till now? Or will that info ever come out?

Great to see the renaissance of the Prancing Horse!
SomersF1 has an article on predicted engine development.
http://somersf1.blogspot.fi/2015/03/tok ... s-and.html

I personally don't see that they wouldn't have made changes to their turbo and ERS systems for their initial token spend (22 tokens so far).

Fer.Fan

F1.Ru wrote:
James Allison wrote:Rather than sacrificing power for packaging as it had done with its first stab at the new regulations, Ferrari started to box clever and adopted a new - albeit risky - cooling layout. Allison described the new direction of his engine and chassis departments as "courageous", for if they got it wrong the long lead time for development of engine components would have left Ferrari in a similar position to 2014. Malaysia acted as the first real proof that the new concept has paid off, as Ferrari arrived in the heat of Sepang without the need to hack great holes in the rear end of the SF15-T and still ran with a clear power advantage over last year.

More power results in better fuel consumption and greater flexibility over the use of the ERS, so over the winter a significant amount of performance has been unlocked. Ferrari is confident there is plenty more to come and, with three more engine tokens to spend over the remainder of the season, its target of two wins in 2015 is looking increasingly modest.

"and, with three more engine tokens to spend over the remainder of the season"
This according to the article but if I remember correctly Ferrari have 9 token left to spend??? It was reveled before Melbourne GP by FIA.

3jawchuck

Fer.Fan wrote: "and, with three more engine tokens to spend over the remainder of the season"
This according to the article but if I remember correctly Ferrari have 9 token left to spend??? It was reveled before Melbourne GP by FIA.
The last FIA token update document. Shows Ferrari have 10.
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... tokens.pdf

edxferrari

Fer.Fan wrote:
F1.Ru wrote:

somers is guessing he dont know where ferrari used their 22 tokens , he just is explaining developin certain part of car what number of token is equal to (I'm not english I don't know if i got it right , my english is not so good , some body correct me)

miguelalvesreis

Fer.Fan wrote:
F1.Ru wrote:

I thinks he is correlating the use of tokens with the deployment of new engines. There will be 3 more time during the session were they can use those 10 tokens. They won't use tokens in between or they would be penalised.

ME4ME

Pretty sure he means 3 more tokens to spend then Mercedes :)

Moose

ME4ME wrote:Pretty sure he means 3 more tokens to spend then Mercedes :)
So first Ferrari are going to spend 3 tokens, and then Mercedes are going to spend 3 tokens?

Juzh

Moose wrote:
ME4ME wrote:Pretty sure he means 3 more tokens to spend then Mercedes :)
So first Ferrari are going to spend 3 tokens, and then Mercedes are going to spend 3 tokens?
mercedes has 7, ferrari has 10. Therefore ferrari has 3 more to spend as mercedes.

MarkedOne8

Fer.Fan wrote:
F1.Ru wrote:

He probably meant to say that Ferrari will, during the rest of the season, have approximately 3 points when they can use those tokens. Example: May 3 tokens, July 2+2, September 3 tokens.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

miguelalvesreis

MarkedOne8 wrote:

He probably meant to say that Ferrari will, during the rest of the season, have approximately 3 points when they can use those tokens. Example: May 3 tokens, July 2+2, September 3 tokens.
Exactly my point!
They can use 4 engines (at the time he wrote the article) per season. The've already used one, where the've used all the tokens but 10. Those 10 will be used on the 3 available engines.
That's what he meant with the 3 tokens....3 moments...3 deployments....whatever you wish to call it :P

zjeeraar

Can you be creative with the deployments of the tokens and the use of the engines?
I mean, the next race is in China, with the long straight, a powerful engine is an advantage. Can you deploy a new engine with tokens there, and then use the old engine again on venues where power is not a big advantage (Monaco/Singapore)?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Juzh

zjeeraar wrote:Can you be creative with the deployments of the tokens and the use of the engines?
I mean, the next race is in China, with the long straight, a powerful engine is an advantage. Can you deploy a new engine with tokens there, and then use the old engine again on venues where power is not a big advantage (Monaco/Singapore)?
No, you can only have 1 homologated PU spec at a time, and there's no point to re-homologate an old, worse spec. Best course of action is to apply updates once the current spec has served it proportional part of the season.