Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Honda Power Unit

Osamu Goto brought back by Honda

With Honda experiencing severe problems with their technology – the call was made to Osamu to return and work alongside Yasuhisa Arai for the company that was his life for so many years.

Osamu Goto is considered a legend in Japan and within Formula One. He was the brains behind Honda when they entered F1 for the second time in the 80’s – they had been a F1 entrant back in the mid 60’s.

As is the Japanese way, 1983 was a tentative start to a journey that would see the Japanese manufacturer re-write what was possible with engine technology. They literally tore the Europeans apart with successive Constructor crowns from 1986 to 1991.

Involved with
1980's Honda 1.5 F1 turbo
1990's Honda V12 and V10 F1
2000's PETRONAS F1 engine

More recently with Honda MotoGP programmes

FW17

Honda 2009 KERS system used a MGU which was oil Cooled. THE System used the same Circuit as the engine oil. Wonder if the same system Has been retained

autogyro

If it has been retained it is probably the main thing that is restricting their ability to get max power from the electrical system.
I could never understand why the KERS motor/generator has to be on the nose of the crank and not as part of the gearbox.

SunsAnvil

Is it just me or has the Honda engine just turned into a character from I sci fi movie (Honda A.... L....).

"I think you know what the problem is, Jenson, just as well as I do" (tweeted Jenson's engine before adding) "although Ron took very thorough precautions against my hearing, I could tell he was lying because I could see his lips move"......

maguetox

WilliamsF1 wrote:Osamu Goto brought back by Honda

http://img.speedweek.com/i/6/64367b3e3a ... reset=i750
With Honda experiencing severe problems with their technology – the call was made to Osamu to return and work alongside Yasuhisa Arai for the company that was his life for so many years.

Osamu Goto is considered a legend in Japan and within Formula One. He was the brains behind Honda when they entered F1 for the second time in the 80’s – they had been a F1 entrant back in the mid 60’s.

As is the Japanese way, 1983 was a tentative start to a journey that would see the Japanese manufacturer re-write what was possible with engine technology. They literally tore the Europeans apart with successive Constructor crowns from 1986 to 1991.

Involved with
1980's Honda 1.5 F1 turbo
1990's Honda V12 and V10 F1
2000's PETRONAS F1 engine

More recently with Honda MotoGP programmes
Finally, Honda decided to bring someone with a lot of experience to the program. I personally think Arai fail with the program, I´m been very critic of his performance in this project. I think he is responsible for the failure of the program and Honda is not fire him right now because the they need someone to keep pushing the program, but my intuition says his days are numbered.

ringo

That may be an april fool's joke. :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

mikeerfol

ringo wrote:That may be an april fool's joke. :mrgreen:
The source is thejudge13, so I don't really know.. :?:

kptaylor

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in, but will we know when manufacturers use their tokens throughout the year? For example, at China would it be disclosed if Honda used one of their tokens, and had another eight to go? Really curious as to the token strategy each manufacturer will employ and how we fans will be made aware.

Gaz.

kptaylor wrote:Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in, but will we know when manufacturers use their tokens throughout the year? For example, at China would it be disclosed if Honda used one of their tokens, and had another eight to go? Really curious as to the token strategy each manufacturer will employ and how we fans will be made aware.
I can't see anything concrete but I would assume that when the FIA publish technical bulletins over the race weekend such as car 06 changed it's MGU-H, car 5 changed to it's second ICE etc that they will include an update to the tokens used by the engine suppliers as it's regulated in the technical and sporting rules.
Forza Jules

Sasha

Finally a picture of the Honda PU.

Facts from picture.
Split-turbo
Log exhaust
air to air intercooler

Still guessing.
MGU-K is intergrated in ICE because can not see it any other place in pictures
Honda is using an Axial flow turbine

Sasha

Finally a picture of the Honda PU.

Facts from picture.
Split-turbo
Log exhaust
air to air intercooler

Still guessing.
MGU-K is intergrated in ICE because can not see it any other place in pictures
Honda is using an Axial flow turbine

mikeerfol

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

From Racecar engineering EDIT: More photos here

PlatinumZealot

What a nasty little bugger!

Look at the manifolds! it's like they are not even there! what is Honda thinking?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Is it now safe to say that the compressor is not on the front face of the engine?

I can see the intake runners curling back in on themselves... like a scroll type design.. I am not sure if they are variable length from the limited view though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hurril

PlatinumZealot wrote:Is it now safe to say that the compressor is not on the front face of the engine?

I can see the intake runners curling back in on themselves... like a scroll type design.. I am not sure if they are variable length from the limited view though.
I would think so yes. That entire silvery box appears to be pressured by the looks if its edge. What's going on here?