"Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tim.Wright

Re: "Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

SectorOne wrote:Taki is an international treasure, you can´t include him in any comparisons.
He also rigged a "worst driver ever" poll to ensure that he won it during one of Autosport's pre-season testing commentaries.
Not the engineer at Force India

acosmichippo

I agree he isn't literally the worst driver ever. But I do think he is highly overrated, mostly due to his fluke 2012 season. In this post, I will examine his F1 career year-by-year. I'll do 2012 last with more detail due to the aforementioned win.

2011 - one 10th place finish, 6 DNF's. Rubens had two 9th place finishes, and 3 DNF's.

2013 - one 10th place finish, 3 DNF's. Bottas had one 8th place finish, and 2 DNF's.

2014 - one 9th place finish, 5 DNF's. Grosjean had two 8th place finishes and 6 DNF's.

2015 - three DNF's and a 15th so far. Grosjean has one DNF, two 7ths, and an 11th.

2012 - Yes, this is the year of his win. But let's all remember, 2012 started out with SEVEN DIFFERENT GP WINNERS due to the new pirelli tire compounds. It was chaos. My contention is Williams lucked into their car working those tires well for that particular track for those conditions. Look at how the car performed the rest of the season - they were lucky to score ANY points in a race, let alone a podium or win. Unfortunately we don't have a good apple-apple comparison for Maldonado's winning race because Bruno Senna screwed up Q1, and was then taken out of the race by Schumacher.

OK, so let's look at the rest of the season - Pastor scored 45 points, compared to Senna's 31. Pretty clear advantage, right? I say no. Pastor's points came from 5 races (1st, 5th, 8th, 8th, 9th). And let's look at that 5th place finish a bit more closely - in that race FIVE drivers ahead of Maldonado DNF'ed (HAM, WEB, GRO, ROS, HUL). Bruno's points are from TEN races - 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and five 10ths. In my opinion, Maldonado's two standout performances in this season (1st and 5th) are both flukes - apart from those, his best finish was 8th. By comparison, Senna regularly scored points on true merit, even higher than 8th place.

In conclusion, I think Pastor has never really shown any great aptitude for F1, even given his miraculous 2012 win. He has never soundly beaten any of his teammates, and has rightfully earned a reputation as a dangerous driver.

Miguel

Those stats, as always, only tell half the story. The 2012 Williams is perhaps the only decent car that Maldonado has ever driven, and may well be the best car williams had designed since, who knows, 2005? One must not forget that, until Hamilton and Maldonado got red mist, they were going to finish 2nd and 3rd in Valencia (a valuable result for *both*). Maldonado was also enroute to a podium in Singapore until, unbelievably, a DNF not of his making. That day he was out of reach of Alonso.

Let me repeat that: faster than Alonso. In Singapore.

Maldonado is far from the worst driver, paydriver or not, we've seen. He's far too trigger happy, and that's helped create the internet monster that he currently is. Unlike Bruno Senna, Maldonado has some real speed inside. Given the current price of oil, though, this discussion will probably be academic in a few months.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

SectorOne

2012 wasn´t a fluke. He did not put a foot wrong in Quali and the Race. Showed great composure even though he had Alonso breathing down his neck throughout the whole race.

But yes, he´s not the sharpest tool in the box. And the irony of it all is he himself chose the number 13 to put on the car.
All the stupid things i see him do from time to time is just mindboggling, i mean if you put all that in a movie people would claim it´s unrealistic.
Tim.Wright wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Taki is an international treasure, you can´t include him in any comparisons.
He also rigged a "worst driver ever" poll to ensure that he won it during one of Autosport's pre-season testing commentaries.
And thats why he´s a national treasure, the guy is hilarious and he´s not afraid to have himself as the punchline.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bhall II

grandprix.com wrote:Maldonado hits back at Crashtor reputation

Pastor Maldonado has fended off his growing reputation as a crash-prone F1 driver.

The Telegraph newspaper said a nickname doing the rounds for the Venezuelan is 'Crashtor', while one unflattering website mischievously lists the days and hours since Maldonado's last crash.

"The world is safe for another day," the website hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com currently reads.

The PDVSA-backed Lotus driver, however, insists his reputation as a crasher is undeserved.

"When Pastor crashes, it's big news," said Maldonado. "When the other people crash, there is no news.

"To find the limit, you need to cross the limit. I think I have the big balls to cross the limit every time."

He is yet to score a point in 2015.
Don't most drivers realize pretty quickly that it's --- pointless to have knowledge of "the limit" if you can't keep yourself from crossing it "every time"?

Malfunctionado.

henra

bhall II wrote:
grandprix.com wrote: "To find the limit, you need to cross the limit. I think I have the big balls to cross the limit every time."
Don't most drivers realize pretty quickly that it's --- pointless to have knowledge of "the limit" if you can't keep yourself from crossing it "every time"?
A true gem.
Basically he even gives the precise reason for his very often action filled races and movie style race mishaps. And then he wonders why he's lovingly called 'Crashtor'.... priceless... :mrgreen:

I wouldn't rate him as one of the worst Drivers in F1 when looking at his pure driving Talent. He is no Ayrton Senna or Schumi but he has solid genuine pace. It is however, fascinating that he seems to be able to succesfully resist any attempts to learn from his mistakes.

Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:
And thats why he´s a national treasure, the guy is hilarious and he´s not afraid to have himself as the punchline.
In fairness, when you're a self confessed middle aged 'rich kid', living in a Monagasque penthouse, sipping champagne and having been an F1 driver, it's very easy to make yourself the punchline.

Nathanael F1

There's something about him that I like, though - his driving is fairly fun to watch. But there's also this side of him that I find funny: http://wtf1.co.uk/maldonado-bahrain-fail/
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Wayne DR

henra wrote:I wouldn't rate him as one of the worst Drivers in F1 when looking at his pure driving Talent. He is no Ayrton Senna or Schumi but he has solid genuine pace. It is however, fascinating that he seems to be able to succesfully resist any attempts to learn from his mistakes.
I agree with your view to a point. Is Pastor the "worst F1 driver ever"? No, he has some talent. I agree, he can string A lap together (and very occasionally 2 or 3). His win in 2012 shows what he is capable of when he is fully committed, but those races are few and far between.

The problem I have is that there are guys out there, who can string a whole race full of consistent laps together, and you don't have to be the fastest (although many are equal or better) to beat a guy who DNFs 3 out of 4 races this season...

He is probably a great guy, he seems friendly enough in interviews, (I certainly don't bear any grudges against him) but he needs to get his head down and put together more races like his win in 2012, or move on to give someone else a go...

Manoah2u

to be honest, he kinda reminds me of my first [indoor] karting sessions. I used to go all-out and just see it as it comes,
which made me fast, but reckless. it had me hit the walls/barriers often. It was when i really had to focus myself to
actually tone down and think not just 1 but a few corners ahead and find my personal best lines that i overcome from
regularly hitting the walls. It made me a while slower untill i gotten the hang of it and then lap after lap i could bank
in seriously fast laptimes without touching the walls anymore.

I used to like 'hold my breath' when closing up to the walls. when i learned to really focus i could breathe easily and be less tired, stressed and have good results.

Personally, i have the feeling this is where pastor goes wrong; he goes all-out and he doesn't put the brakes on himself.
As like he's thinking he'll be slower or will fail if he holds a mental brake on himself. Oddly enough, i've seen him perform well in Monaco and i'm inclined to put it on his former racing incident where he got a ban becuase he hit a marshall.
I'd say he is - perhaps unaware himself - automatically / subconsiously holding back just a bit. And this results in his real capacity because indeed i do believe pastor is capable of being genuinly fast.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

skoop

what's the story of pastor hitting a marshal? it's the first time i'm hearing of this

Phil

Miguel wrote:Those stats, as always, only tell half the story. The 2012 Williams is perhaps the only decent car that Maldonado has ever driven, and may well be the best car williams had designed since, who knows, 2005? One must not forget that, until Hamilton and Maldonado got red mist, they were going to finish 2nd and 3rd in Valencia (a valuable result for *both*). Maldonado was also enroute to a podium in Singapore until, unbelievably, a DNF not of his making. That day he was out of reach of Alonso.

Let me repeat that: faster than Alonso. In Singapore.

Maldonado is far from the worst driver, paydriver or not, we've seen. He's far too trigger happy, and that's helped create the internet monster that he currently is. Unlike Bruno Senna, Maldonado has some real speed inside. Given the current price of oil, though, this discussion will probably be academic in a few months.
Yes, yes and yes again! Just needed to quote this one, it sums up my thoughts exactly.
bhall II wrote:Don't most drivers realize pretty quickly that it's --- pointless to have knowledge of "the limit" if you can't keep yourself from crossing it "every time"?
This is also true. But I think the issue goes a bit deeper. Pastor has a bit of a Senna attitude. Hamilton does too, although 2014 and 2015 have shown a much more calculated approach by him. Given the choice however, if one of these two drivers find themselves in the position where they see a gap; 9 times out of 10 (okay, in Maldonados case, it may be 15 out of 10, the +5 stemming from him seeing imaginary gaps :mrgreen: - just kidding) they will go for it. This has often created the sense that these drivers see themselves as above the rest and will simply march through, with little thought to any consequences if it doesn't pan out. Senna had this too, and impressively, he gained a pyschological advantage because of it. In many head-track battles, it would often be the other drivers decision if to crash, or back out and hand him the place. Hamilton has this element of agressiveness too. When he goes for a gap, he goes with it with a level of commitment that often results in moves and overtakes that are mesmerizing to watch.

As said in a previous post - the reason why Hamilton is whorshiped for it and Maldonado not - has a lot to do over which positions these drivers are battling it out. When you are battling at the front, you have a lot to lose. Everyone does. Because the difference between a top 3 finish and a DNF are at least 15 points. Way down the grid where Maldonado often finds himself battling for positions; the point spread is perhaps 5 points to 0. Or 0 to DNF.

In 2014, these are the points of the non-works team:

Force-India 155
Torro-Rosso 30
Lotus-Renault 10
Marussia-Ferrari 2
Sauber 0
Caterham 0

That is over 19 races and two drivers! If we devide it by 38 (19*2), Forcia-India scored a "mighty" 4 points per race on average, per driver. Torro-Rosso; 0.8. Lotus-Renault, the team Maldonado was driving for... 0.26. Marussia 0.05.

The point? That competition among the lower tier teams is brutal. And most often, these teams are even competing outside the points. We have drivers like Button who are probably on the other side of the spectrum... head-driven, calculated, technically risk free and therefore also consistent. They rarely go for gaps, because they see it as a futile attempt, so don't even attempt it in the first place. Maybe they are right. And on the other hand, you have drivers like Maldonado who are on the other side, perhaps a tad too agressive, but also driving in a very competitive surrounding where every point counts and there's potentially little to lose because the difference between 1 or 0 points and a DNF is nearly non-existant.

Maldonado has big balls, I give him that. And because he does, it would be great to see him at the front, like we did in Barcelona when he got that first win and showed great pace. Unfortunately for him, he's way back in a less than competitive car, so he often finds himself in trouble. And even if it's not his fault, people tend to go with it, blaming him, amusing themselves over it, because it's popular and fun to do so. Hey, I've done it too. But at the same time, I think it's great to have him in F1. Can't beat that kind of entertainment, for good or for worse.

For those on the bandwagon that Pastor is a crazy driver. He is. Definately. But Hamilton wasn't better when he was out of position. I think the same applies to Pastor to a degree.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

iotar__

"Crashtor, worst driver"? Full blown bashing thread with no examples and comparisons in a season when there's nothing to talk about said driver. As long you put question marks it's OK? Clearly and for a change based on facts:

- it was Maldonado that got off track at the start in Aus, came back nudged Nasr and sent himself into a barrier? Perhaps he used mind control? Penalty if ever there was one,
- it was Maldonado spinning mid-corner like Sainz or Kvyat or spinning and ending races like Ericsson
- it was Maldonado causing badly collisions in Aus and Malaysia like Perez or like Hulkenberg and Kvyat, two latter also being much slower than their team-mates recently
- it was Maldonado that drove straight into the car in front at high speed and mid-corner in China attempting nothing and got away without penalties
- it was Maldonado slashing his own tyre and going backward 5 places at the start in Malaysia like Bottas, 5 or so like Verstappen or going 10 backwards and overshooting braking points with awkward overtake attempts 3 times in a row like Ricciardo
- it was Maldonado that couldn't keep on track close 2nd best "on rails" car for the whole race or even attempt to overtake much slower Bottas for 20 laps
- it was Maldonado that in a close 2nd best "on rails" car messes up `100% of qualifying sessions, half of the starts and has one decent race in four, enough for announcing his "comeback"
- it was Maldonado driving broken car and going straight into Perez in Bahrain practice, or overtaking cars in a pitlane through Sauber mechanics, imagine penalties and menace to society routines if it were indeed him

You've got to give to him that he did beat another "new Senna" at a bad pitlane entry attempt competition. If you go by history you might find variety and large number of racing transgression (both penalised and ignored) by certain WDC leader. Including change of rules clarification about weaving fouls. What happened did Sky have half an hour special or what? Usual F1 stuff, anything but reality.

SectorOne

Nathanael F1 wrote:There's something about him that I like, though - his driving is fairly fun to watch. But there's also this side of him that I find funny: http://wtf1.co.uk/maldonado-bahrain-fail/
I wonder why they never flashed yellows for that?
As someone said in the comments, Schumacher did the same thing in Hungary 2012 and they flashed yellows so everyone went around the track again.

That was a good brain freeze for Schumi. Starts in the wrong box (19th instead of 17th), turns off the engine, forgets to turn on the pit limiter while in the pits.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Nathanael F1

SectorOne wrote:
Nathanael F1 wrote:There's something about him that I like, though - his driving is fairly fun to watch. But there's also this side of him that I find funny: http://wtf1.co.uk/maldonado-bahrain-fail/
I wonder why they never flashed yellows for that?
As someone said in the comments, Schumacher did the same thing in Hungary 2012 and they flashed yellows so everyone went around the track again.

That was a good brain freeze for Schumi. Starts in the wrong box (19th instead of 17th), turns off the engine, forgets to turn on the pit limiter while in the pits.
Wow, I never knew that (I didn't really start following F1 until last year)!
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg