2015 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir

raymondu999 wrote:I really wonder what would've happened with POO tyre strategy. In my mind - theoretically it should be better to get the prime out of the way first for this race - because as the race goes on into the night, it gets colder, and the options should work better in the cold twofold - easier to get heat into, and the cold won't punish them as much as the hotter afternoon. Vice versa on the primes - the hottest point in the race would be on the primes.

I find it quite interesting that Huldenberg did OOPP though - all the other 3-stoppers did OOOP (or as Maldonado did, POOO)

Kimi's race was good - very good. But he possibly pitted the last stop too late. Shades of Germany 2013 come to mind.
Working range, the soft tyre has a very wide operation range. Where the medium has a small operating range. Running a heavy car on a hot track, would overheat the medium in this case en ruin them within a few laps.

Next race is soft/supersoft where the supersoft (ooptions) is the low working range tyre.

Kalsi

Don't know if this has been discussed in other threads but...
If Alonso had the chance to unlap himself, kimi's pace was absolutely not to be considered so good to stay out that much at the end of the second stint... and anyway his option tyres proved to still be 1 sec faster than Hamilton's even in the end of the third one, so they could have last at least 3-4 laps more... aka could have pitted 3-4 laps earlier in the second stint instead of being out there losing 2 seconds a lap

So why did they stretch the second stint that long? Im pretty sure Kimi could have won this one (maybe with a 1 - 3 with Seb if he didn't mess up)

drunkf1fan

Kalsi wrote:Don't know if this has been discussed in other threads but... Anyone has a clue why Ferrari kept Kimi out that much on the second stint? I mean if Alonso had the chance to unlap himself kimi's pace was absolutely not to be considered so good to stay out... and anyway his option tyres proved to still be 1 sec faster than Hamilton's even in the end

So why did they stretch the second stint that long? Im pretty sure Kimi could have won this one (maybe with a 1 - 3 with Seb if he didn't mess up)
Too many metrics being ignored by pundits who are commentating on it. With hindsight seeing his drop off going that pace over what 16 laps or so you can say maybe he could last another two laps. But his soft stint in fp2 was doing maybe 1:38-1:39 laps. What would have happened if they brought him in two laps earlier and the tires dropped into the 1:41's by the end, maybe he catches Rosberg 2 laps earlier but maybe he drops behind Rosberg in the final lap, or the tire literally falls apart and he doesn't finish.

Also likely some fuel issues, heavy fuel race and he was pushing relatively hard early in the second stint on mediums. Maybe they did the two extra laps on mediums in fuel saving mode so he could have 16 laps absolutely flat out without worrying about fuel.

Lots of possibilities there and most of them without the benefit of hindsight would likely be very tight calls.

Hamilton got his brakes back anyway, had Kimi been 5 seconds closer Hamilton would have been pushing harder 5 laps from the end, Kimi likely wouldn't have won anyway. Ultimately the lateness of the charge and Merc hoping to eek it out to the end without pushing the engine harder could in fact be the only reason Kimi caught Rosberg at all. Had they realised Kimi was absolutely going to catch them 3-4 laps from the end maybe have decided to increase pace a little earlier, also when the tires had a bit more pace available in them.

zoro_f1

iotar__ wrote:
kooleracer wrote:Without Lewis Hamilton great talent Mercedes would have had a real title challenge from Ferrari on their hands.
- Really [-o< ? He had a good race like Vettel in Malaysia but no (opinion), someone handy driving a Ferrari would be more than enough Hamilton or not. They must be doing something with tyres, obviously.

- Merc should think about supporting both drivers for a change, maybe if they didn't put Rosberg behind Ferrari after every pitstop and force to overtake his brakes would last. I don't believe in fairy-tales and I'm surprised Lauda who was so "worried" after qualifying is not dissecting that publicly. Worse than Marko.
- Is this the reason for Maldonado's penalty? He got more (cost) than Button for China. Driving with wobbly wheel and causing collision in practice, who cares and let's investigate Perez. Zigzagging around the pitlane next to mechanics - reprimand. This, the horror and rules are rules, he really blocked one Marussia or gained some advantage.

http://i.imgur.com/BWmLKTe.jpg
this maldonado "thing" deserves a special thread so to everyone over the internet be able to see how "strong" and "race" driver he is and like he says "i am pushing to the limit"... WTF he even missed the starting grid!? because of this moment maldonado receives a 5 seconds penalty! :D

even Taki Inoue would have a better carrier with all of the support of PDVSA... it is a shame and frustrating for F1 to see this kind of drivers. :(
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

komninosm

bonjon1979 wrote:
komninosm wrote:Did anyone try OPP tyre strat?
I think Williams did
Apparently no one tried SOFT MEDIUM MEDIUM
It was the best strategy imo