Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Uniracer

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

I want to ask about a story on ESPN:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/127 ... -raikkonen
Arrivabene is quoted as saying: "I remember it was the 10th or 12th of December and I was asking [chief designer] Simone Resta, and Rory [Byrne, Ferrari consultant], we were watching a picture of the car and I said what can you do to transfer the weight of the car a bit more in front?" Arrivabene explained. "Because I said Kimi likes to feel the car in this way and Sebastian [Vettel] is more or less the same.

Question: What does he mean by increasing weight transfer for more grip? My assumption is that kimi prefers very precise steering response at the turn in point. Is he is talking about trail braking to transferring load to the front of the car? I can't really make sense of it.

Here is another quote from ESPN about Raikkonen's driving style from late 2014:
http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/183913.html
"Since the go-karts, if it doesn't turn and the front doesn't bite I've never liked it. My driving style is more about trying to carry the speed into the corners and keep it up in the mid-corner. It's the way I'm used to doing thing but obviously it changes every year and with every car, but I still think it's the fastest way and when you get the car working for you as you want the fastest maximum speed - for me at least - can be found that way. "

"It's something that's lacking from the car right now and if you cannot put the car where you want and brake where you want because of locking or sliding the front then it becomes a guessing game about where you are going to be. And if you miss a little bit the corner you are going to miss a lot of speed on the next straight. It sounds like a small thing, but around one lap when you keep guessing every corner it creates quite a big deficit. A few races it has been pretty okay and then most races it has been like that where you fight every corner and then the time difference is quite big."

giantfan10

evered7 wrote:
ringo wrote:the ferrari seemed a bit easier to overtake by Rosberg in bahrain. They also didn't have an easy job overtaking Bottas Williams. Says something about the overall performance of the engine. I can't wait to see what's coming for the european rounds.
Easier when the person in front keeps making mistakes. Also Bottas was on softs and Vettel on med for the last stint. Looking at the pace Kimi showed in the final stint, it would have certainly made Bottas difficult to pass for Vettel.
here are the explanations from vettel as to why he was stuck behind bottas:from ferrari.com
"Towards the end, I was struggling to get past in the fight against the Williams. When it was important to be quick, I always seemed to get stuck in traffic, and thus damaged my tyres"
I was trying to push, and when you’re following another car you obviously lose a lot of downforce. With hindsight, it was probably more than I expected.

here is jamesallenonf1 explaining why vettel was passed after undercutting rosberg:
In order to make the undercut you have to push the tyres very hard on the opening lap, which overheats them and causes problems later in the stint and you also deplete the ERS battery fully. This leaves you vulnerable on the following lap, when the car you’ve just undercut now has the new tyre advantage and he’s got a full ERS battery to deploy on the main straight.This scenario is precisely what happened on Lap 15, when Rosberg re-passed Vettel as they came down the straight, with Hamilton exiting the pits ahead. That overtake was all about Rosberg having full ERS power to deploy and Vettel still recuperating from his fast out lap.

and here is jamesallenonf1 talking about the ferrari and merc PUs and what he expects in the near future all from jamesallenonf1.com:
One of the reasons why the Ferrari is such a strong race car is because it has an aggressive engine mode, with a strong battery and an efficient compressor, which it is able to use all race long, whereas Mercedes has to dip into a more conservative mode at times during races. This gives Ferrari a chance and means that over a race distance there is now little to choose between the two power units. Qualifying is still Mercedes’ forte, which gives it a track position and thus a strategic headstart. But if Ferrari keeps up the current relative development rate then we could have a championship fight on our hands.

.poz

WilliamsF1 wrote:
ringo wrote:. In fact it was said last year that Mercedes has the strongest package but doesn't have the strongest engine.
You saying last years Ferrari engine was a honey pot not a --- box?
rumors says that Ferrari 2014 ICE (not PU) was on par with Merc or slightly better but more fuel thirsty. The main problem was the small turbo. On the F14T the (insufficient) ES charging was based almost only on brake by wire.

matt21

the are rumors in the German press, that Ferrari had an illegal way of increasing power for qualifying.
https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

Has anybody an idea what they might have done.
And what is the mentioned "free-load-system"?

ferkan

Yea they used illegal fuel flow to qualify 1.4 seconds behind Merc in Australia and then dropped it to get behind by 0.4 seconds in Bahrain.

German press is saying alot of things about Ferrari lately. Latest one is that Merc helped Ferrari build an engine...what could few hundred Ferrari engineers with blank check know about building an engine.

Juzh

matt21 wrote:the are rumors in the German press, that Ferrari had an illegal way of increasing power for qualifying.
https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

Has anybody an idea what they might have done.
And what is the mentioned "free-load-system"?
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 86#p575686

hattrick

As I understand it not at all in terms of fuel flow pressure or illegal flow rate but progressive boost system software.
..so for me it is strange this tweet: https://twitter.com/RoboCoP_G/status/591553506080858112 An interesting article where explains what FIFA banned Ferrari from the Chinese Grand Prix onwards, it is also interesting that the system is the same, but only slightly different forms on Mercedes who continued to use it because it is made in the prescribed manner. The system is called "free-Load System", and gives extra cumulative power of 20HP. This leads us to how Ferrari from China had a greater deficit to Mercedes in terms of PU power. From China Mercedes uses the aggressive mode only during qualifying, while during the race may be used in very short periods (eg. during the important overtaking) (my assumption), due to the higher risk of destroying valuable aggregates. Therefore, in the training and qualifications Mercedes has 40HP more than Ferrari, while in race is the difference only 20HP. Depending on the requirements of the track, this advantage can be 0.300s.

From Canada Ferrari should bring upgrades that will totally equalize the Mercedes advantage.. unit which is combined with a more advanced formula Shell fuel, and the qualifying software already using in Mercedes.

I do not know where to put this interesting photo -PU configuration...

http://www.f1puls.com
Croatian F1 portal

armyk

Damn FIFA, they ruin everything!!

SectorOne

Ferrari sidepod. Found the shape of it interesting in how it drops then comes back up then drops again.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

aral

SectorOne wrote:Ferrari sidepod. Found the shape of it interesting in how it drops then comes back up then drops again.

http://i.imgur.com/pPFsnrY.jpg
that is a bulge in the upper body panel further back

aral

armyk wrote:Damn FIFA, they ruin everything!!
maybe they are just kicking the ball to touch?

hattrick

gilgen wrote:
armyk wrote:Damn FIFA, they ruin everything!!
maybe they are just kicking the ball to touch?
:D =D>
I hope that this is the final touch.
..I see no sense to change typo. btw ..my english is wretched, and typos steadfast. :mrgreen:
http://www.f1puls.com
Croatian F1 portal

RicME85

SectorOne wrote:Ferrari sidepod. Found the shape of it interesting in how it drops then comes back up then drops again.

The most interesting thing about the Ferrari sidepods, like in recent seasons is how they have a different philosophy for the edge radii.
Other teams have a much tighter radius.

markp

The sidepod seems huge on a top down view but floor space under seems huge as if everything is on top but floor space is as large as anyone. Also their engine cover seems thinner than most as if others package more in that area for a smaller top half of the sidepod.

In the end among top teams maybe the whole sidepod areas are very similar in cm3 but as they place different things in different areas it creates an illusion of one having much larger sidepods. The very back of the Ferrari viewed from behind seems very small to me. Also paint scheme creates an illusion, last year was all black at the very back this year it is red creating illusion of bulkier sidepods from a side view.

edxferrari

hattrick wrote:
I do not know where to put this interesting photo -PU configuration...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDWsANrW8AAF4SE.jpg:large

as I know the MGU-H this year isn't between turbo and compresor